advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is this a guy thing, or what?
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: December 27, 2006 08:30PM
A friend gave me a new toaster oven for Xmas. I moved the old one off the counter then got the DustBuster to vacuum up the crumbs that were under it. Both female friends were aghast that I did this!

I told 'em I planned on wiping the counter off, but wanted to get the big stuff first. Both looked at me as if I'd lost my mind.

Do men & women really go about household cleaning from such different directions?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is this a guy thing, or what?
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 27, 2006 08:34PM
i woulda used a shop vac, depending on the size of the pieces =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 27, 2006 08:36PM
I'm a guy.

I would have used a couple of paper towels and a spray bottle of kitchen surface-cleaner.

The big stuff wipes off with the little stuff.

The DustBuster is for less ant-prone stuff. Crap sits in my DustBuster for months between cleanings.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 27, 2006 08:39PM
This is when you need a dog.

Posted by: fmgtech
Date: December 27, 2006 08:53PM
What's the problem. It's just like vacuuming. When the vacuum won't pick something up, you reach down pick it up, look at it, and then throw it back down to give the vac a second chance. Perfectly normal.

I once had a female ask me if that was the way I washed dishes. I left the water running while I washed. I asked her if she was a professional diswasher or something like that and then gave her a copy of Ike Turner's book, "Womens be thinkin too much."
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: December 27, 2006 08:58PM
If they complain, let them do the job.
This applies to male, or female.
Shuts them right up.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: December 27, 2006 10:00PM
This woman is aghast at the fact there were crumbs under your old toaster oven. smiling smiley However, since there were, I think your method worked fine. Makes sense to me.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: December 27, 2006 10:18PM
The fact that you have a toaster oven in the first place should be the clue. It was my main appliance in bachelorhood, but was one of the first things to go afterward. I miss it...

EDIT: The toaster oven that is smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2006 10:19PM by blusubaru.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 28, 2006 12:10AM
I would have just used a sponge and wiped all the crumbs into the sink, but that's because my toastoven is right next to the sink and it's the easiest thing to do. Don't have a 'dustbuster' either.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 28, 2006 06:46AM
It's covered on page 63 of "Men Are From Mars, Women Are Meteors That Crash Into Mars".
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 28, 2006 10:18AM
It's a guy thing to use technology to make a job 'easier' instead of just doing it straight off.

Then again, i would have just swiped them off the counter with one hand, catching them in the other hand. And I clean the crumb tray periodically by unplugging the damn thing, opening it over the sink, and shaking it. Then wiping the interior down with a damp sopay rag, and letting it all dry before plugging it in again..... ok, ok, I actually plug it in and run it through two 'toast' cycles to dry it off.

Now if someone had commented about using a leaf blower to clean out the kitchen...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 28, 2006 11:33AM
A pretty funny thread, but AlphaDog is spot on.

I'm with MM, BGnR, mike, and c3.

Toaster ovens and microwaves have saved the lives of many bachelors.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: December 28, 2006 03:10PM
I don't even own a stove. That spot is occupied by the dishwasher.
I sent this thread to one of the friends involved & she got a big kick out of it. She figured it was a guy thing to reach for a gadget rather than a paper towel. She was horrified that I'd put something on the counter that I use on the floor, which was a good point.

The other friend helped me thoroughly clean the kitchen right after Thanksgiving, complete with moving everything off the counter. She handed me the toaster & asked when was the last time I'd emptied out the crumbs.

The look on her face when I asked, "You're supposed to empty this thing?" was priceless!

Posted by: raz
Date: December 28, 2006 05:26PM
It's not a guyy/gal thing.

I'm far more anal about cleaning the kitchen than my wife. I'll routinely put things back on the to-be-washed side of the sink when emptying the drying rack. (Pots and bowls have outsides that need to be washed - go figure). I can't even start cooking unless I have a clean surface for preparation.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 186
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020