advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Job Interview
Posted by: gadje
Date: January 15, 2018 08:02PM
I need to hire someone and a friend/coworker is a relationship with someone living far away who would like to move closer. That person has 75% of the skills I am looking for, so I could work with them and teach them the missing skills.

But they go behind my back and plan this out with my boss. This "friend/coworker" is also friends with my boss. I was a little ticked off that they planned that behind my back, but whatever, I let it go. I can work with this person if I decide to hire them. I heard that this person would like to come to interview on a Friday or Monday to spend the weekend here with their significant other. I want them to come and focus on the job interview, not on personal relationship. Is this wrong??? so I set up an interview for a Wednesday.

Today I am informed that the interview will happened on a Friday.

I had the day off, so wrote an email to ask who took this decision. I got a call back, our "travel coordinator' said she took this decision. She is also "friend/coworker" with my "friend/coworker".

What would you do in a situation like this??? Who is really pulling the strings here?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Job Interview
Posted by: billb
Date: January 15, 2018 08:08PM
sounds like a lot of people are willing to try to make this happen.
Hope it works out

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 15, 2018 08:08PM
Posted by: max
Date: January 15, 2018 08:10PM
You are getting yourself a problem...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 15, 2018 08:29PM
Eh, seems like you're best off letting go of it. Hope you can work well with this person.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 15, 2018 08:34PM
Sounds like you're going to working for this person in short order, not with them.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 15, 2018 08:49PM
I was with you until you set the interview up for Wednesday. It is natural for "someone living far away" to desire a Friday or Monday, forget the relationship part for a minute. Scheduling around a weekend makes the traveling easier. I'm sure that it was assumed that you had deliberately set it for Wednesday to be purposely mean, which isn't a good way to start off what looks to be an inevitable work relationship. Cut your losses and hope that things work out with the new person.

Posted by: testcase
Date: January 15, 2018 08:57PM
I see a different job at a different company in your near future........... angry smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 15, 2018 09:25PM
So your boss went around you?

That’s the conversation you need to have. I will agree that convenience of the interviewee should usually Be considered first. After all, you are paying for their travel. You are wooing them, not the other way around. Or do I misunderstand?
Posted by: davester
Date: January 15, 2018 09:45PM
What $tevie said. For someone traveling from afar, it is perfectly reasonable to request a Friday or Monday interview and it is unreasonable to deny such a request.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: gadje
Date: January 15, 2018 09:48PM
davester
What $tevie said. For someone traveling from afar, it is perfectly reasonable to request a Friday or Monday interview and it is unreasonable to deny such a request.

Thanks folks. I stand corrected.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 15, 2018 09:53PM
I'll also note that it often makes for a better employee to have a friend already at the company. We consider that a plus where i work. Especially if your are bringing in someone from out of town. A new employee is a significant investment. You want them to work out.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: January 15, 2018 10:30PM
cbelt3
I'll also note that it often makes for a better employee to have a friend already at the company. We consider that a plus where i work. Especially if your are bringing in someone from out of town. A new employee is a significant investment. You want them to work out.

Yes, but if I understand this situation correctly, the two people in question are in a relationship. This could spell trouble.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 15, 2018 11:56PM
cyclemax
Yes, but if I understand this situation correctly, the two people in question are in a relationship. This could spell trouble.

Recipe for disaster in my book. Either somebody interviews and gets hired on their own merits or they're somebody else's toy. Maybe there are exceptions for academia but there is already a LOT wrong with academic hiring decisions.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 16, 2018 04:10AM
My experience is just the opposite, we have at least 5 couples working at my workplace (that I know of) and they are an asset, not a burden. Two couples work in the same department, but different jobs at different hours (for daycare purposes), one couple works in different departments, one is in a manager-employee relationship, though in different departments, one couple started off in the same department, but the woman got promoted to start her own department. A former couple; both people worked in the same department doing the same jobs, at their new jobs they are doing the same thing, but in a higher-level capacity. If any of these couples have domestic squabbles, they do not make themselves known at work.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: January 16, 2018 08:24AM
Seems to me the conversation you need to have is the one with your Boss. You need to find out if you're the hiring Manager or they are assuming that role, who the new employee will be working for and which one of you is responsible for their integration, development and performance reviews. If there's any misunderstanding on any of these issues the problem is going to be between you and your Boss and you're most likely going to come out on the loosing side. And if you're not totally satisfied with the outcome of that conversation then you'd better polish your Resume and start lining up options for your future.

As a compromise with your Boss maybe the two of you can come up with an arrangement that puts this new employee into some other group, or maybe moves you into a different group so there's no direct line between you and the new employee.
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 16, 2018 08:37AM
This makes me wonder if there might be other long-standing tensions between you and the people you are working with. Is there a pattern of behavior on their part that seems to undermine your position? In this case it seems like you feel that you are being pressured to hire someone that you might not want to hire. Will there be negative repercussions if you decide not to hire them?

If there are long-standing tensions, then this may be something you need to take up with your boss, though it is difficult from this distance to speculate what form the discussion should take. At the very least, your boss should have told the co-worker to take the issue directly to you, as you are the person doing the hiring.

There is little you can do to "force" the prospective interviewee to focus on the interview, especially since they will likely be staying with the relationship-person regardless. In fact, forcing a Wednesday interview might have reduced their focus because of the inconvenience of it all. Try to remember that the interviewee may be an unwitting participant in whatever manipulation is going on, and do your best to evaluate them on their own merits.

If you decide they do not suit, it would be best to be matter-of-fact about the reasons why you decline to hire them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2018 08:39AM by Janit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 56
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020