Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1.83ghz Mac Mini memory issues - update
Posted by: rouderon
Date: January 15, 2018 08:07PM
From this [forums.macresource.com] post

Booted from a flash drive and still showed only 2gb ram. Decided re-flash EFI (see [forum.netkas.org]) and, voila - 4gb memory. Restarted to make sure it was still showing 4gb, and it was. Thought I'd boot into Windows - now only showing 2gb. Rebooted into Lion and it was also showing 2gb. I thought that maybe Windows was somehow corrupting the EFI, so I flashed it again and booted into Lion. It was now showing the whole 4gb, so I rebooted (into Lion) to see if it stuck, and it reverted to 2gb. Deleted BootCamp (again, thinking the problem may have been with Windows), flashed EFI, and it was back to 4gb. After going in this circle several times, restarting would always undo the EFI flash and revert it back to 2gb. I zapped PRAM, ran fsck -fy in single user mode, repaired permissions and always got the same result. Obviously spent several hours troubleshooting (which I will never get back...but, I digress).

I concluded that it was most likely a problem with the motherboard and decided to just use it on my home network as a file server.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1.83ghz Mac Mini memory issues - update
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 15, 2018 08:09PM
rouderon
From this [forums.macresource.com] post

Booted from a flash drive and still showed only 2gb ram. Decided re-flash EFI (see [forum.netkas.org]) and, voila - 4gb memory. Restarted to make sure it was still showing 4gb, and it was. Thought I'd boot into Windows - now only showing 2gb. Rebooted into Lion and it was also showing 2gb. I thought that maybe Windows was somehow corrupting the EFI, so I flashed it again and booted into Lion. It was now showing the whole 4gb, so I rebooted (into Lion) to see if it stuck, and it reverted to 2gb. Deleted BootCamp (again, thinking the problem may have been with Windows), flashed EFI, and it was back to 4gb. After going in this circle several times, restarting would always undo the EFI flash and revert it back to 2gb. I zapped PRAM, ran fsck -fy in single user mode, repaired permissions and always got the same result. Obviously spent several hours troubleshooting (which I will never get back...but, I digress).

I concluded that it was most likely a problem with the motherboard and decided to just use it on my home network as a file server.

I think you did very well and found the problem, and you took the right decision.

EDIT: and thanks for the F/U, I appreciate it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 08:09PM by space-time.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 15, 2018 08:24PM
I'd remove ram from the bad slot
Date: January 15, 2018 08:27PM
hal
I'd remove ram from the bad slot

which one is that? the first one that sees only 1 GB out of 2 GB, or the second one that sees only 1 GB out of 2 GB?
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 15, 2018 10:22PM
Come on, this line made me laugh...

'ran fsck -fy in single user mode'!
Date: January 16, 2018 12:46AM
sekker
Come on, this line made me laugh...

'ran fsck -fy in single user mode'!

LOL, missed that one!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 16, 2018 08:22AM
You mentioned that the logic board is not retaining the EFI changes. Have you replaced the battery on the board?
Posted by: rouderon
Date: January 16, 2018 12:50PM
I haven't, but all other settings stay when I unplug it.
Date: January 16, 2018 05:11PM
rouderon
I haven't, but all other settings stay when I unplug it.

why not try it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020