Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Paging all Minecrafters
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 16, 2018 04:43PM
(Disclosure: I don't play video games.)

- bought a license for macOS years ago and the kids played that until their Mac was retired. It was slow.

- they now use a leftover i7 Dell laptop running Ubuntu for Minecraft. I guess that means we bought another license for Linux? I don't remember.

- dad's thinking of repurposing the PC into something else, before its time passes

- kids have both Wii U and a Switch, so why not play Minecraft on either of those, instead? The only possible conflict I know of is if each kid wants the TV's screen at the same time ... and not either of the consoles handheld ones, since the handheld screens would be so much smaller than the laptop's.

Wondering if I should commandeer the PC and buy a copy for them to play on one of the consoles ... I guess my question has more to do with how will it work without using a mouse/trackpad for gameplay?

It's my understanding they'd still be able to play with their online friends who play it on PCs.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Paging all Minecrafters
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 16, 2018 05:11PM
Minecraft was free up to a certain level. Then Microsoft bought it and development of that version was discontinued. I believe that there is an opensource version available on Ubuntu also called 'BlockCraft' and the old free version is still available.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 16, 2018 05:21PM
Your Minecraft account for PC also works on the Mac. Both use the Java version of Minecraft and you can log in with the same credentials on both machines. I'm not completely sure about Linux but as a desktop OS, I assume it also works the same license as it uses the same Java version.

Licenses for dedicated Game systems stay with those systems. Minecraft for iOS is bought at the App level so the same Apple ID can install MC on any associated iOS devices.

Gameplay is different for every type of device. It's the same for PC and Mac (and I assume Linux), but those are very different on the iOS touch screen (drives me bonkers). PS & XBox and I assume Wii & Switch work differently again with the game controller, especially when crafting, but I haven't used these to know how annoying those may be to use. YouTubers do a lot of console gaming so it must work well.

My kids initially used MC on iPads so they didn't like the PC/Mac (Java) version at first but adapted quickly for the network play advantages. Which means you'll need to make sure the Wii/Switch versions can connect to servers in the same way that the Mac/PC (Java) versions do. I'm not sure that it works that way.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 16, 2018 05:21PM
A free Minecraft played on a computer with friends on a $20.00 a year server.

Any Nintendo game $40.00 and up.

Wife and Daughter do STEAM.

We are heavily invested in Nintendo but Minecraft is PeeCee or Mac.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: January 16, 2018 07:23PM
Lew Zealand
.... Which means you'll need to make sure the Wii/Switch versions can connect to servers in the same way that the Mac/PC (Java) versions do. I'm not sure that it works that way.

They can go into Realms, which by my understanding means anyone on any platform can join the play in the same Realm?
Date: January 16, 2018 07:24PM
ztirffritz
Minecraft was free up to a certain level. Then Microsoft bought it and development of that version was discontinued. I believe that there is an opensource version available on Ubuntu also called 'BlockCraft' and the old free version is still available.

They'd be staying with Minecraft proper. When they first signed up with Mojang, it was "free" but that to really play you had to buy a $27.xx license. I suppose that's what's still being used today by them.
Date: January 16, 2018 07:28PM
Bernie
A free Minecraft played on a computer with friends on a $20.00 a year server.

Any Nintendo game $40.00 and up.

Wife and Daughter do STEAM.

We are heavily invested in Nintendo but Minecraft is PeeCee or Mac.

I don't understand most of that.

We don't pay an annual fee for Minecraft but they can still join servers. Typically what happens is they logon, meet virtual friends who are across town or out of state within some Realm. And then leave the cell phone call open, so that they can talk to each other while playing together etc.

I glanced at Wii U and Switch versions of Minecraft for like $20-$40?
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 16, 2018 07:40PM
Okay.
What was I thinking.
$20.00 and she is the host. Private.
Computers allow for coding things like teleporting home when you are lost.
Personally I do not play the game.
Twenty bucks, buy a copy for the Nintendo and let them tell you what they want, and why.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: January 17, 2018 08:59AM
Oh, Minecraft. My son plays a lot of Minecraft. The Java-based Minecraft is different from Minecraft PE, which is what you play on most devices. The only version that kind of crosses over from game platform to PC is the Xbox version, but really that just means that if you have the Windows Minecraft version, you can play something that resembles PE (it might actually be PE). So basically, if your kids like playing Minecraft on a computer and get excited about new releases, and their friends also play on a computer, they will not want to play on Xbox or any other gaming system.

We paid for Minecraft Java a long time ago and haven't paid since that I can think of. We also paid for PE for iOS and then for the Kindle Fire.

My son plays Minecraft on a 2014 MBA which can be laggy at times but does well enough. He loaded Optifine to tweak his computer's performance and it actually helped.

He used to have a Realm but it was expensive and kind of locked down. For the past year or so, he's hosted a private server on MC Pro that costs $2.49 a month, so much cheaper. He likes to load mods and do other server-type stuff and really enjoys having his own. You can purchase a Minecraft Java server or a PE server from MC Pro, but no mixing and matching platforms that can connect.

When not on his server, he likes to play on Hypixel. It seems well run and pretty kid-friendly. To connect to Hypixel, you have to run Minecraft Java. Hypixel and other servers are where most of his gaming occurs now.

I guess he switched completely from PE to Java when he was about 9 or 10 and then from Java to servers when he was 11. Now he pretty much always talks to his friends on the phone while meeting up on various servers.

The kids have a snow day today so if you have any questions, I can ask him.
Date: January 17, 2018 10:12AM
OK, seems I misinterpreted what I'd read about server play earlier. Although I looked on Minecraft's site, I saw nothing about cross-platform play anywhere, so apparently it's "assumed" to only happen within a given codebase platform (Java, Bedrock, Console?)

Alright, so I'm standing pat for now. No other platforms will be used here except for Java.

My kids really only play with 2 of their friends back in GA. I know those friends play on a Windows laptop, so the ability of my kids to be in the same server game as them, despite playing on a Ubuntu PC makes sense (Java version).

My son plays Minecraft on a 2014 MBA which can be laggy at times but does well enough.

Yeah and ours is older (2011). I'm of the opinion that a several-years-old computer should be good enough for kids to play on. That it apparently is not, is just too bad! I asked my oldest what else he uses that computer for, and he said, "sometimes PowerPoint, for school.) Maybe that was back when the machine was running Windows smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020