advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
VPN, again...
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: January 17, 2018 11:34AM
Well, after having now used TunnelBear since August and seeing how much it slows down, I'm again checking out VPNs. This site:

[www.vpnmentor.com]

In all my research, I don't remember cyberghost. Anybody here ever used it? On TB I was getting 30 download, turned it off, speed went to 100. Whew... no.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 11:34AM by GuyGene.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: VPN, again...
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 17, 2018 12:10PM

depending on what you believe. PIA via France.
Using TunnelBlick

FiOS 25/25

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 12:11PM by Fritz.
Date: January 17, 2018 01:11PM
Thanks Fritz. Here's mine using tunnelbear:

PING 85 ms
DOWNLOAD 21.06 Mbps - FIVE times slower!!
UPLOAD 2.87 Mbps - same. Slow.

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 01:18PM by GuyGene.
Date: January 17, 2018 01:13PM
tunnelbear disconnected:

PING 62 ms
DOWNLOAD 110.69 Mbps
UPLOAD 3.08 Mbps

Wow, totally unacceptable, the above test while connected with tunnelbear!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2018 01:15PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: January 17, 2018 04:12PM
I have been happy with Private Internet Access and often find that it speeds things up for me. I have Comcast and there are frequent bottlenecks/routing issues in my area that can be fixed with VPN.

No VPN:

PIA connected to London:

PIA connected to "Midwest":

We have 150down/10-20up - in theory.
Date: January 17, 2018 05:49PM
Interesting Former. I think I'll try different places with tunnelbear. Since my last post here, I researched more, and found that if you check Auto, tunnel will connect to somewhere that might be faster. It connected me to Mehico City!! And, it was almost as fast as not connected. It does not let you choose like IPVansih did though. Which didn't help IPV at all.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 17, 2018 06:21PM
I too use Private Internet Access. No real slowdown using the US East (NJ) servers.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 17, 2018 07:07PM
I use Express VPN - second on the list - I travel to China frequently and it has never failed me - even traveling domestically, I use it.
Date: January 17, 2018 09:44PM
MrNo and vic, have you tested speed, or can you tell how it seems with speed? I just ran into another problem with tunnelbear. Shopping at my LL Bean account, it though I was in Mexico!! Really messed me up. I've got to cancel this thing tomorrow. Both Ethyl and I must have good, fast VPN. On a total of 6 iPhone/Macs/iPads. Hers and mine, sometimes all at one time!! Yes, we ain't right. nuts smiley Ethyl!! Bring me another glass of ice tea! terrified smiley

Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 20, 2018 08:08AM
the other thing with PIA is it lets you choose you point of entry along with TunnelBlick.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020