advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Logitech Harmony Smart Remote versus Harmony Companion...
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 24, 2018 11:56AM
Noticed Walmart has these for about $58.00 right now...

[www.walmart.com]

and the Logitech Harmony Companion (Refurbished) is about $99.00...

Anyone know the advantage of the new model over the older model? It appears the smart hub is exactly the same. I'm only seeing automated dimmers and plug buttons on the companion... and not sure this is really a deal breaker seeing you can use an iPhone app for these types of tasks or an amazon echo or dot after it's programed.

We did order a Roku Sideclick but thinking one of these remotes "may" be a better option for the wife and kids... or not.

Mainly want to control the Samsung 55" LED, vizio sound bar, BlueRay and Roku... (Kids have their Nintendo Switch Hooked up).

So, not doing tons of tasks... Mainly want them to turn on the TV and Roku and soundbar... control the volume and default into Roku... So, maybe the sideclick is the easiest answer. However, might be nice to integrate a Amazon Echo / Alexa to control some of these tasks (Alexa, turn switch to netflix Stranger Things)... Including some other automated tasks such as turning on lamps.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Logitech Harmony Smart Remote versus Harmony Companion...
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 24, 2018 03:01PM
In my experience, get a Harmony remote if you have too much free time and need a hobby.

Better yet, give it to your elderly in-laws to "help simplify their life".

facepalm

Oy.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 24, 2018 03:11PM
pdq
In my experience, get a Harmony remote if you have too much free time and need a hobby.

Better yet, give it to your elderly in-laws to "help simplify their life".

facepalm

Oy.

Haa haa??? That bad?

I've heard good things about them.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 24, 2018 03:18PM
Let's just say it was a more-or-less continuous tech support situation (with me being tech support) until my FIL finally got rid of that damned thing that some smart-ass kid at Best Buy had said would solve all his remote problems.

cursing smiley

YMMV.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 24, 2018 04:23PM
We have the Smart remote with the Hub - it works great for our situation. All of our components are in my bedroom closet and connected to the living room TV. It allows us to control everything since it sends a RF signal to the Hub, which then relays it to IR. The Hub also has a IR line that goes back to the living room and controls the TV.

You program the hub by connecting it to you computer via USB, tell it what devices you have and it does the rest. It is very simple and allows a great deal of customization. It can also be linked to Alexa I believe, but we haven't done that. Ours runs the Vizio Smart TV, cable box, Yamaha receiver, WDTV media player, and a few other pieces. I know it is compatible with AppleTV and Roku devices.

We like the supplied remote better than the App. Both work, but we find the remote to be more intuitive for 95% of our needs. Our one complaint - the remote is not backlit, so you can't see the buttons easily in a dark room.

The $58 price is as low as I have ever seen it, generally it is in the $75-$90 neighborhood.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 25, 2018 03:07PM
The newer Hub is Alexa compatible. I think that is the only difference.
BTW. I have a Harmony Touch that I've been using to replace five remotes. It was a Heculean task to program it correctly and it sometines still has glitches, but it a heck of a lot better than fiddling with a FIOS remote, a Roku remote, a DVD remote, the TV remote and a soundbar remote

richorlin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2018 03:07PM by richorlin.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 26, 2018 12:08AM
I used a Harmony for a while. When it worked it was great for turning everything on and setting the amplifier to the correct input for the device we were using (DVD, cable, VHS).

The problem was that it just "hit" the on/off switch for each device so if one device was already on, it would turn that device off as it ran through the setup routine. There was a Help button to work through that, but it was tedious. My wife never figured it out.

For that matter, she cannot figure out the TWC/Spectrum remote which also tickles the on/off switch. If one is not configured right she cannot figure out how to get that unit back on (it is easy for me, not for her). I am looking for a device which checks each unit to see if it is actually on so she does not have to problem solve.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 26, 2018 09:36AM
Don C
I used a Harmony for a while. When it worked it was great for turning everything on and setting the amplifier to the correct input for the device we were using (DVD, cable, VHS).

The problem was that it just "hit" the on/off switch for each device so if one device was already on, it would turn that device off as it ran through the setup routine. There was a Help button to work through that, but it was tedious. My wife never figured it out.

For that matter, she cannot figure out the TWC/Spectrum remote which also tickles the on/off switch. If one is not configured right she cannot figure out how to get that unit back on (it is easy for me, not for her). I am looking for a device which checks each unit to see if it is actually on so she does not have to problem solve.

I had similar issues with our Harmony remote, it was supposed to make it easy for anyone who wasn't familiar with my HT setup to just watch TV or whatever.

With regards to the on/off issue, some devices support an ON command and separate OFF command, but those that don't would switch states causing situations where if you changed modes the TV could go off and the DVD player would go on, leaving you wondering what just happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2018 09:39AM by mikebw.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020