advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cutting in straight line on wall where it meets ceiling
Posted by: Microman
Date: February 16, 2018 01:24PM
I have my ceiling painted, and I want to paint the walls a different color.

In the past I didn't come up with a very nice and straight line. So I thought I would use the Green Frog Tae, but that seems to hard to put on the ceiling in a straight line.

Also from all the videos I see about cutting in, the ceiling. It looks like they all use the angle brush, and just hold your breath, and cut in by eye, doing about a foot at a time, and then rolling the area, so staple looks the same.

Do you agree?, To just do it with angle brush, and no tape.?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cutting in straight line on wall where it meets ceiling
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 16, 2018 01:31PM
Thats how I do it. Get a good brush, like a Purdy. Really does make a difference. Keep a damp cloth or square spong with you to wipe off if you go over.

You can use the small 1" rollers rather than the big ones to get closer to the edge without going over.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 16, 2018 01:34PM
I've just used a straight edge instead of tape
When you do enough of it you can do it by eye, putting a lot of paint on about an inch away and then coming back and pulling it into the edge

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 16, 2018 01:40PM
I had to paint under a carpeted edge, (kinda hard to explain) but I used a 10-inch taping knife to hold back the pile as I moved along the edge and painted underneath it. Could also do this on a wall/ceiling edge, you're just moving the knife as you go along.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: February 16, 2018 02:16PM
just a good angle brush like suggested above I like a 1 1/2 to 2" brush for that
For doing along a carpeted edge a trick I learned years ago is to get an old venetian blind. Use one of the slats and press it down between the wall and carpet.
it protects the carpet from getting paint on it until the Paint is dry
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 16, 2018 02:16PM
I used a tool similar to this that worked reasonably well. It has wheels that roll on the ceiling an a pad that holds the paint. It took a little practice but did a decent job. I think I bought mine at a Dutch Boy Paint store.

This one is at Home Depot

Northern California Coast
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 16, 2018 02:22PM
....who knew it was so hard.....being str8.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 16, 2018 02:29PM
My friend who owns a painting company says to do the walls first, then ceiling. Much easier to get that line. You could go back over the ceiling in areas where you aren't happy with the line.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 16, 2018 03:07PM
I've used a painting guide as well. I do agree that a sash brush and a steady hand for cutting in is best. Of course ceiling corners are often not very straight, and a patterned ceiling makes it particularly annoying.

I'll also agree that cutting in AFTER doing the wall is best. If you missed anything at the top with the roller, you can cover it with the brush.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 16, 2018 04:19PM
You think thats hard, my wife wants to paint base boards. Next to new carpet.

I know I can block it with a tool, but after moving tool carpet will spring up and hit paint... so.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 16, 2018 05:41PM
Have the ceiling color come 1/8 inch down the wall. No one will ever notice, and you can get a very straight line with tape.
Posted by: Buck
Date: February 16, 2018 09:35PM
It was really hard for me since both my walls and ceiling are orange peel texture
Posted by: richorlin
Date: February 16, 2018 09:38PM
That's the reason I painted the ceiling and walls the same color in the last room I painted. LOL
Too much work to make it look good.

richorlin
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 16, 2018 10:20PM
I've tried various straight edges and edging devices on several occasions, and they almost never work. They may work for a several feet, but then they implode or leak crap all over the place. As tempting as they may be, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND going that route.

THE best way for me is to use a good 3# brush (doesn't really matter if it's straight or angled) and cut in a sweeping motion a couple feet at a time. You can refine your path with follow up strokes, but broad, sweeping motions are always better. Think of it like sketching a long line or a big circle. Large controlled motions are what you want. Even if you have a couple of gaffes, you can usually correct those later by cutting in with the ceiling color using the same technique. Doing this a pain, but no one is going to notice a few lap marks along the edge.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 16, 2018 11:30PM
Except if you have a uneven ceiling joint... smiley-talk034
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 17, 2018 01:59AM
.....don't smoke....that joint.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Microman
Date: February 26, 2018 11:37AM
I did as some youtube vides showed. Apply paint about 1 inch away from ceiling on wall for about a length of a foot. Then wet brush, tap each side, Then use your angle brush, while holding on the wall, and maybe holding your breath, allow the brush to sneak up at an angle so just touches the meeting place of the ceiling an move along a a steady speed, not to fast, not to slow, but STEADY. Looks good.

And somewhere I read that if there is overlap, that it is better to have it on the ceiling. who knows, but mine looks fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020