Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgraded to AppleTV (4th generation) from Apple TV2 and none of my mp4s play
Posted by: dad@home
Date: February 16, 2018 03:12PM
Hi all,

In December I upgraded my AppleTV2 to the 4th generation (HD not 4K) so that I could use Amazon prime video app. This seems to work ok.
Unfortunately I just discovered that my iTunes library of ripped DVDs in mp4 format won't play on the new device at all giving an "incompatible file type" message. The same files work fine on the old AppleTV2. I used MacX DVD Ripper Pro (4.4.4) to rip the mp4 files.

I hate when things just stop working!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

For some must watch, while some must sleep
So runs the world away
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgraded to AppleTV (4th generation) from Apple TV2 and none of my mp4s play
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 16, 2018 03:18PM
nothing from Apple should be called an "Upgrade" anymore. Update at best.
Re: Upgraded to AppleTV (4th generation) from Apple TV2 and none of my mp4s play
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 16, 2018 03:25PM
Unusual for an older video type to not be supported on a newer device, usually the opposite. Must be something about the codec settings.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 16, 2018 03:36PM
A MP4 is a container file, so there are a variety of data streams that could have been used depending on the settings in MacX DVD Ripper Pro. You may have to check the details and compare them to what formats are supported by the Apple TV4 and its OS version.
Date: February 16, 2018 04:55PM
JoeH
A MP4 is a container file, so there are a variety of data streams that could have been used depending on the settings in MacX DVD Ripper Pro. You may have to check the details and compare them to what formats are supported by the Apple TV4 and its OS version.

Is there a way to interrogate the mp4 file to find out what's inside?

Thx

So runs the world away
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 16, 2018 05:09PM
How are you accessing the mp4 files from your ATV4?
Date: February 16, 2018 05:21PM
sekker
How are you accessing the mp4 files from your ATV4?

Using Home Sharing

So runs the world away
Date: February 16, 2018 05:32PM
If you open a MP4 file in the QuickTime Player, the Movie Inspector window will provide some information on the contents and codecs used. A bit more information is provided by the Media Information window of VLC.
Date: February 16, 2018 05:38PM
JoeH
If you open a MP4 file in the QuickTime Player, the Movie Inspector window will provide some information on the contents and codecs used. A bit more information is provided by the Media Information window of VLC.

Thank you Joe,

I've called Apple support ( I know, I know......smells like defeat) and they stated that I'm out of luck. The most recent OS for the Apple TV (4th gen) is known not to work with mp4s.
She knew of no updates in the pipeline.

hot smileyhot smiley

So runs the world away
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: February 16, 2018 06:00PM
Just for grins try changing the file type from .mp4 to .m4v and see if they will play.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 16, 2018 06:09PM
What about using a go-between, like VLC or Plex? (I'm out of the loop on these particular apps, but that seems like a possibility. I don't do ripped discs b'c of issues with CC/subtitles.)

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: February 16, 2018 06:22PM
Zoidberg
What about using a go-between, like VLC or Plex? (I'm out of the loop on these particular apps, but that seems like a possibility. I don't do ripped discs b'c of issues with CC/subtitles.)

I use a first gen Intel Mac running SL and iTunes as media center as my go-between for my ATV4s. I’m pretty sure my mp4s still work using this approach.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: February 16, 2018 06:45PM
Install Plex on your AppleTV 4. Don't look back smiling smiley

[www.plex.tv]

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 16, 2018 06:47PM
Wait... so the new 4th gen AppleTV doesn't support mp4? What exactly DOES it support then - anything besides Apple internet streams? I've never trusted Home Sharing, can you, say, put one of these mp4s on an iPhone and AirPlay it to the ATV?

Can you try re-encoding a few of those source DVDs with various combinations of codecs?

If this is true, I'd truly not be buying another Apple product. They've made so many things much harder than they need to be in recent years... with so much lock-in to revenue streams from their own businesses.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 16, 2018 07:11PM
OWC Jamie
Install Plex on your AppleTV 4. Don't look back smiling smiley

[www.plex.tv]

The voice of reason/experience in this -- OWC Jamie has tried many times to educate me on the pluses of Plex. If he says this is the solution, you can bank on it.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: February 16, 2018 08:34PM
Harbourmaster
Just for grins try changing the file type from .mp4 to .m4v and see if they will play.

After changing the file to m4v the movie would still play in iTunes but again fail to play on the Apple TV gen 4

So runs the world away
Date: February 16, 2018 08:36PM
Here's the tech specs from Apple for ATV4th gen:

[support.apple.com]

Video Formats
H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.2 or lower
H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 16, 2018 10:43PM
Looks like others have had this problem:

[www.kirkville.com]

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Date: February 16, 2018 10:49PM
You could try going to File -> Convert -> Create iPad or Apple TV version and see if that solves the problem. Will be very time consuming, though, if you have to convert a whole library of movies.
Date: February 16, 2018 10:50PM
I've had good luck with Smart Converter. There's a free and paid version in the Mac App Store:

[itunes.apple.com]

[itunes.apple.com]
Date: February 16, 2018 10:55PM
Handbrake has plenty of great presets for Apple devices, if you need to convert your mp4s.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 17, 2018 12:01AM
dad@home
I upgraded my AppleTV2 to the 4th generation (HD not 4K)…I just discovered that my iTunes library of ripped DVDs in mp4 format won't play on the new device at all giving an "incompatible file type" message…Using Home Sharing

I have the Apple TV 4K and I am able to play .m4v, .mp4, and even .mov videos just fine. I am playing them via Home Sharing (i.e. the "Computer" icon on Apple TV).

I've called Apple support ( I know, I know......smells like defeat) and they stated that I'm out of luck.

There's something about your files they (and we) don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 12:03AM by Article Accelerator.
Date: February 17, 2018 12:09AM
gabester
Wait... so the new 4th gen AppleTV doesn't support mp4?

Yes, it does support mp4.

What exactly DOES it support then

[www.apple.com]
  • H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile
  • HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p
  • H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

…plus a metric buttload of other media formats.

can you, say, put one of these mp4s on an iPhone and AirPlay it to the ATV?

Sure!

If this is true, I'd truly not be buying another Apple product.

Lucky you—it's not true!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 17, 2018 08:04AM
Plex or Handbrake

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: February 18, 2018 06:44AM
If it were me, I'd probably start using the new AppleTV, but keep the old one hooked up to play the older stuff.
Sure it's an inelegant solution, but it costs nothing and requires zero work...
Yes, I'm cheap and can be kinda lazy. jest smiley

-mj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2018 06:47AM by MacJeepster.
Date: February 18, 2018 11:17AM
MacJeepster
If it were me, I'd probably start using the new AppleTV, but keep the old one hooked up to play the older stuff.

This is probably what I will do.

Sigh

So runs the world away
Date: February 18, 2018 11:49AM
What does Quick Time Player or VLC report for the contents of the MP4's that don't play on the AppleTV 4?
Date: February 18, 2018 03:18PM
dad@home
MacJeepster

This is probably what I will do.

Sigh

Why not look into the mystery of why those files don't play even though their filetypes are supported?
Date: February 18, 2018 04:49PM
The file type is supported, but not all possible contents. It has already been posted here a few times, only a subset of the possible contents that a MP4 container file could have are supported.

For instance, the ATV4 is listed as supporting MP4 files with H.264 video encoding, but it does not list H.265 encoding which is also valid for use in a MP4. MPEG-2 or MPEG-1 encoding are also valid, but these older ones are not supported by the ATV4.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 19, 2018 01:08PM
Nice little app called MediaInfo can tell you ALL about the encoding settings used to make any audio or video file. I'd recommend checking that out. [mediaarea.net]

Free version is free but not as nice as the pay version, (available on the AppStore), but even that is fairly cheap. Only 99¢!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020