advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ordered eyeglasses online .... mistake
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 19, 2018 08:30PM
It’s not as if I haven’t done this before. Between myself, the wife and the boy, we’ve ordered at least a half dozen successfully.

I’m returning my latest because I gave them the wrong PD figure. I entered 66 and I think I’m more like 68mm. The last two for me were 67’s ... we measure PD at home and it’s been fine except this time.

If you’ve never encountered glasses with a too-narrow PD spec, everything in the center (viewed straight on) is perfect but the periphery is blurred. With my 13” MBP in my lap, only the center of the screen was good. Menubar, edges etc out of focus.

The prescribing optician refused to provide the PD. The only other optician in town, I later learned, has cheaper glass than the first, and will use my online-bought frames (after I re-buy just the frames) for a $10 surcharge. The total will be something like $350 for similar features (the online was of course much cheaper, like $125 for everything.

Here where it gets weird. The helpful optician has a good-better-best lens selection, with the main difference being that the better glass has better peripheral vision. They actually have graphic that shows the better lenses being clearer at the lens periphery. I’ve never encountered having to choose like that.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ordered eyeglasses online .... mistake
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 19, 2018 08:55PM
Target optical can check your prescription and will give PD when asked.

You can also measure your PD accurately yourself with a ruler and a cell phone camera.

It’s true that optical shops are getting mad and not offering PD because that means you will shop around.

But the monopoly has to end sometime.
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 19, 2018 09:01PM
What's PD? Do I have it? Is it contagious?
Posted by: clay
Date: February 19, 2018 09:14PM
pupillary distance
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 19, 2018 09:19PM
They make their money on the frames and the lenses, not the exams. Make it clear when you make the appointment that all you want is an exam and a full prescription with the PD. Be prepared to be turned down or given a higher price.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 19, 2018 09:22PM
.....you can download ruler to measure you P.D. as well....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 19, 2018 09:31PM
They'll take back prescription eyeglasses?
Date: February 19, 2018 09:49PM
mrbigstuff

This is Zenni.com and yes online shops need to offer it. Zenni’s policy is ONE 100% store credit (sorry, not refund, I misspoke, but I know I’ll use them in the future anyway) or a 50% refund.

Gang: I measured my PD at home with the correct style ruler and a helper. That’s likely why I got myself into this pickle even though it was measured this way previously. I might try it alone with just ruler and camera, just to see what number I come up with.

My question was less about that and more about the good-better-best lens choices I saw locally regarding peripheral clarity??
Date: February 19, 2018 09:57PM
What I’m referring to is this, “Our HD digital lens process allows us to improve your field of vision and reduce distortion.” — Nikon Eyes sold at Walmart.

[www.walmart.com]

I’m aware of refraction differences and getting lenses that aren’t super thick. The 1.59 lenses are thinner than what I have ordered before. In the past, 1.67 lenses have been thin enough for me (-375 both eyes, obviously nearsighted but not horribly so).
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 19, 2018 10:16PM
I know of no new optical technology that changes vision - yes there are progressives vs standard bifocals, and different coatings like uv protection etc. But nothing really new in lens tech per se.

The Walmart seems to be selling something, but I do not think it's anything you cannot get from good online glass shops like Zenni or WarbyParker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2018 10:17PM by sekker.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 19, 2018 10:17PM
deckeda
mrbigstuff

This is Zenni.com and yes online shops need to offer it. Zenni’s policy is ONE 100% store credit (sorry, not refund, I misspoke, but I know I’ll use them in the future anyway) or a 50% refund.

Gang: I measured my PD at home with the correct style ruler and a helper. That’s likely why I got myself into this pickle even though it was measured this way previously. I might try it alone with just ruler and camera, just to see what number I come up with.

My question was less about that and more about the good-better-best lens choices I saw locally regarding peripheral clarity??

Yeah, I messed this up too. It was probably due to the plants that I ate. It has to be the right plants. I'm gonna try Zennie one more time
Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 20, 2018 06:46AM
I never tried mail order but have had a lot of issues with chains and my lenses. I always look for a skilled optician.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 20, 2018 07:15AM
.....look at it as if the glasses.....is half full.....not half empty.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rz
Date: February 20, 2018 09:43AM
That was probably the problem with glasses I ordered online last year. I measured my PD and had my wife double check it. The eye doctor wrote prescriptions for both regular (distance) and computer (which was almost the same). The "computer" ones I got from the eyeglass place do slightly improve vision on things about 24" away. Distance vision in the computer glasses seems identical to the distance ones.

The ones I got online had super sharp clear vision up to about 18", and everything past that was VERY blurry. 18" is way too close, so they were useless. They even remade them, but the problem was the same. They refunded my money. I guess next time I get glasses, I'll see if I can get them to tell me my PD.
Date: February 21, 2018 10:53AM
I remeasured my PD yesterday, both by myself (using my phone to take a picture w/ruler) and with another helper.

I got different results, mostly because I think the methodology changed from all the earlier ways. I was expecting to find a larger number this time, something more like 68 which is what I once got. But yesterday's results were all more like 60-62mm.

I have no idea what's correct now. And so I'll buy the local lenses and have them fitted locally and be done with it, even though it'll cost me 2.5x times what it would cost online. I DO plan on them telling me my PD, however.

I have yet to discover that glasses made with a too-narrow PD figure results in edges=blurry or center=blurry or that glasses made with a too-wide PD figure results in edges=blurry or center=blurry.

But surely it's gotta be something like that. What I've since read is that there's both a far and a near-distance PD figure, because our pupils do actually become closer together when looking up close. Problem is, of course, that only "one measurement" is done ... and so apparently, when the make (multifocal) lenses, they just use a PD number 3mm smaller for the near-vision portion of the lens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 129
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020