advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
GPS Recommendations
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 01, 2007 10:55AM
My Mother-in-Law wants to purchase a GPS for my Father-in-law for his 60th birthday. He'll probably use it occasionally for GeoCaching but mostly for flying and driving. She wants to get a nice one for him to use. I don't really know much about them. Mine is very simple by comparison. I see that they now talk and play music and movies and the list goes on. I'd be curious to know what recommendations you folks have in this area.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: GPS Recommendations
Date: January 01, 2007 11:04AM
Some of the models that I've considered are:

TomTom 910:
[www.buy.com]

Garmin StreetPilot C530:
[tinyurl.com]

Magellan Roadmate 2000 GPS:
[tinyurl.com]

Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: January 01, 2007 11:25AM
I have aTomTom Go700 and like it a lot except for the small 3 inch screen. The small screen is OK in the car, but in our RV I would really prefer a 7 inch screen. I've been looking at the Garmin 7200 and watching the price steadily drop.

Whichever one you get, make sure it has a remote. It's much easier to use than the touch screen.
Date: January 01, 2007 11:45AM
I just pulled the trigger on the Garmin C530 at Costco.com. It was a good price and the reviews were OK to Good. No one really had anything bad to say about it. I've read that the TomTom was the best in the class out-of-the-gate but the others have gained ground rapidly. Thanks for the input.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 01, 2007 12:49PM
i've had a garmin 2620 for over a year now and it's the next best thing since auto air conditioning. mine speaks the directions; i think newer models talk the street names which would be handy.

for the life of me i can't figure out why someone needs their gps to play mp3s or videos. i'd go for portability and, especially for an older person, a large screen size. if he travels all over, look for one where you can have all the maps available in one place rather than have different regions of the country on different cards.

i'm amazed how the price of these puppies has really dropped in the last year. i paid $800 for mine and that was a deal at the time.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 01, 2007 06:36PM
I got the Tom Tom 910 to get a 4" screen (the 510, 710 & Tom Tom One have 3.5" screens). For driving, its an incredible device. As easy to use as a Mac. The manual states the battery will last 4 hours but, I've never had less than 6.5 hours run time (I work a 10 hour overnight shift) before I have to plug it in.I took it flying once and, it seemed to be confused. I've only been able to find two manufacturers that are design for both automotive and aviation use ( Garmin & Lowrance) and, prices for auto/air units are substantially more expensive. The Tom Tom 910 has a 20GB hard drive and no slot for a memory card (most units have no HD and run from a memory card). The 910 has maps for North America & Europe already installed (a main reason it costs more). Most other units come with a memory card that has maps for US & Canada (other parts of the world can be purchased separately). If you need to drive to areas your not familiar with or, are the type who gets lost easily, a GPS unit will really simplify your life. Be sure to remove the device and mounting suction cup / power cord when leaving your vehicle so as not to invite a break in.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 01, 2007 07:04PM
Garmin C320. Cheap and it does a great job. You have to get a 1 gig sd card to load the whole country. I don't stick the suction cup to the window, but rather turn the suction cup parallel to the dash and then place the whole thing on the far left of the dashboard. The holder/suction cup slides between the dash and the windshield. It stays nicely and is very easy to remove to hide. Here's an Amazon link: [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: January 02, 2007 12:06PM
Picked up a Magellan Roadmate 2000 before the holidays for $290. I just got back from using it to go from Wilmington, DE to Baton Rouge to Dallas and back to Wilmington.

I am generally very pleased with it. It worked flawlessly on the first 2 legs of the trip from Wilmington to Baton Rouge and then to Dallas. But it started behaving oddly when we left Dallas. It kept saying Proceed to Route and would not give voice commands. A reset fixed this. And we also ran into a limitation of the preloaded maps in Dallas when it instructed us to get onto a highway that was being expanded/widened/moved and did not show up correctly on the GPS. On the screen it appeared that we were driving off-road parallel to the highway. In reality the old highway was closed and traffic was diverted to new frontage roads that were not yet on the maps. My understanding is that problems with maps are not unique to this brand or model since most use the same map data. There are no map updates available yet for this unit.

The touch-screen and interface are very easy to understand and use. I have mine mounted to the windshield using the included suction cup mount. It seems very strong and also worked fine during our trip. The 2000 has a built in rechargeable battery that is supposed to last for ~4 hours. I did not test this, but did wind up using the unit while disconnected from the cigarette lighter adapter for few hours inadvertently. I highly recommend this model for someone that needs a simple, inexpensive, easy to use unit.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 03, 2007 12:07PM
If at all possible try and get a unit that can be updated from the internet with some sort of a memory card to keep the maps updated. My experience is with marine nav equipment, and many of them take memory card with the maps stored on them. You get updates from the dealer, or from the manufacturer or 3rd party supplier in a standard format, and just swap cards. Now that capacities of cards has shot up, and the prices have plummeted, you can store an amazing amount of maps on a single card these days.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 05, 2007 05:03PM
Yes but, will an "older" device be able to read multi GB memory cards?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020