advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Windstorm. Shingles. Insurance? HELP!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 03, 2018 10:53AM
So the big windstorm last night blew a bunch of shingles off our roof (maybe 20+), and may have loosened a bunch more. Fortunately, our favorite all-around home repair/improvement/addition guy is available, so he's going to swing by.

Our insurance company is asking for pictures of the damage. I'm wondering about how aggressive we can be with our insurance company in terms of how much of our roof we can get reshingled.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Windstorm. Shingles. Insurance? HELP!
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 03, 2018 11:38AM
How OLD is the roof? If it's more than 15 years (maybe even 10 years) I'd say you were better off putting a new roof on. If it's less than five years, I'd expect the insurance company to fight you on a new roof.

Most insurance adjusters won't go near a ladder so, have your handyman take pictures.

Will the handyman go on record that there's enough damage to warrant a new roof? If he will, the insurance might just go along because they're going to be inundated with claims.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: March 03, 2018 11:59AM
On hail damage the insurance adjuster looks for the number of dimples in a defined area to make the call on replacing the entire roof. I suspect they have something similar for handling claims on shingles that are ripped or torn off in a wind storm. I'd suggest getting pictures that try to highlight the most damage in the smallest footprint.

Don't know about insurance adjusters in other places, but here in Texas they have no problems getting up on the roof and walking all around it looking for damage.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: March 03, 2018 01:45PM
Get an estimate from a reputable roofing firm. They will know exactly what your insurance company requires for repair and/or replacement.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 03, 2018 03:19PM
Wind storm ripped off two flaps from a couple of shingles. The roof was 25 years old and in need of replacement anyway. I was just going to have it replaced but a friend urged me to call our insurance company. They sent an independent agent who, after going onto the roof, decided it had covered damage. After our $1k deductible, the insurance company picked up the balance including the cost 40 year shingles for the entire roof. AutoOwners.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: max
Date: March 03, 2018 06:04PM
testcase
How OLD is the roof? If it's more than 15 years (maybe even 10 years) I'd say you were better off putting a new roof on. If it's less than five years, I'd expect the insurance company to fight you on a new roof.

Most insurance adjusters won't go near a ladder so, have your handyman take pictures.

Will the handyman go on record that there's enough damage to warrant a new roof? If he will, the insurance might just go along because they're going to be inundated with claims.

This,
If he does not have enough roofing expertise get one that does and knows how to handle insurance companies.
Look at Speedy's story, it not unusual.
I had a wind damage from a mini tornado insurance company turned down when I called them in. It was amazing how fast the entire section of the damaged roof was approved for total replacement after my roofing guy got involved....
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: March 04, 2018 05:46AM
My 25- or 30-year-old roof lost 5-10 shingles over the course of a year or two, then there was a minor windstorm and 8-10 more came down.
I called the roofing guy and he quoted a price of $8,000, which included stripping off both layers of shingles. He said he usually finds a few bad boards, but his price included replacing as many as he found.
Then I called the insurance company who sent an adjuster, who climbed on all parts of the roof (it's fairly complex).
Long-short, the insurance company kicked in $1,800 for the new roof, which I thought was more than fair for such an old roof.
Interestingly, the roof guy didn't climb the roof for his quote, he used Google Earth to measure it.

-mj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 05:47AM by MacJeepster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020