Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HI. My name is . . . and I'm still an Aperture user
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 09, 2018 01:07PM
Well, until today, that is.

I've been thinking about how to switch out of Aperture since the "upgrade" to Photos. Aperture has served me really well for ages. I used it for light photo editing , but mostly liked the convenience of making web photo galleries to keep my customers up to date on the progress on their guitars, saving me from having to answer "is it done yet?" repeatedly. Actually, to be fair, they're mostly really patient.

From advice here on the MRF, I'd first considered LR, but really wanted to avoid the rental scenario, though it does have a serviceable web gallery feature which included photo captions entered in Aperture, something few other apps would do. Then I stumbled across jAlbum on an old user forum entry from 2006. Couple of days ago, I discovered that they're still maintaining it and have an active user base. So, I went with jAlbum for the gallery, and just finished migrating my 8k images from Aperture to Photos. Pretty painless. There are a few things I'll miss, but jAlbum gives me a lot more options on the web gallery side.

I'm cookin' with gas now!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HI. My name is . . . and I'm still an Aperture user
Posted by: Spiff
Date: March 09, 2018 01:38PM
Congrats! There is still a version of LR that is not web based. I think you can still find it on Amazon. I like it for photo organization.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 09, 2018 05:49PM
I missed something. You’re using (or, transferred to) Photos.

So how does the other app work with that?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 09, 2018 09:11PM
deckeda
I missed something. You’re using (or, transferred to) Photos.

So how does the other app work with that?

deckda,

I transferred from Aperture to Photos, using Photos to open my old Aperture library. It took several minutes to convert it (I did save a copy of the Aperture library). All the albums from Aperture, EXIF, comments and sorting stayed intact. With Aperture, I could select photos or a folder of photos, do a new web page, and thumbnails linked to larger photos would be laid out on a web page, with options for EXIF, comments, etc. to carry over to the web page. I could do an album of 150 photos in about a minute, then upload the pages to my web site. This web page feature is what I was looking for in a replacement for Aperture, but didn't see anything I liked.

Photos doesn't have the web page option, so I use jAlbum to do them. It seems to work best if I export from Photos to a folder, then drag and drop to jAlbum and it does the same as Aperture did, only with a lot of skins available, some responsive. Works pretty well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020