advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Browse without adblock? Not with webpages like this out there!
Posted by: hal
Date: March 16, 2018 05:38PM
[sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com]

So I see this link in twitter about a San Jose NHL player doing the 'Spelling Bee Challenge' - the guy doing it was big brawny guy and I though it would be fun to watch him struggle (but DAMN he got it right! - shocked!)

I drag the link from twitter to a new webpage on my #1 browser (firefox) that had adblock and javascript turned off by default. The webpage was almost blank, so I throw it over to Safari that has no hindrances at all for just these occasions.

90% of the page was advertising. The banner up top expanded to force-play a video (for 30 seconds), while the video viewer that will eventually contain the video that I came for was also playing a 30 second video (volume on - the other had off by default). I sat there in stunned amazement. When the 30 seconds was up, my video started playing, but the banner up top reloaded a NEW 30 second video.

I'm really glad that I enjoyed the video I came for, but I will NEVER go back to this webpage ever again. I'm thinking of blocking it in my host file.

I just went back there to get a screenshot - this time THREE VIDEOS LOADED simultaneously... yeah, I know... 1st world problem....

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Browse without adblock? Not with webpages like this out there!
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 16, 2018 06:08PM
I had a lot of sites that gave me warnigns and just wouldnt show anything with an ad blocker, so had to turn it off.

all the CBS station sits are identcal throughout the nation, so you might have to block all of them...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 16, 2018 06:24PM
thanks for the tip - that should be easy enough if they use a similar URL

imo, local TV news isn't worth much of anything - I will learn to live without.
Posted by: max
Date: March 16, 2018 07:23PM
jdc
I had a lot of sites that gave me warnigns and just wouldnt show anything with an ad blocker, so had to turn it off.

all the CBS station sits are identcal throughout the nation, so you might have to block all of them...
I dont have to, I just dont turn off the adblocker....
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 16, 2018 08:15PM
hal
[sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com]

So I see this link in twitter about a San Jose NHL player doing the 'Spelling Bee Challenge' …I throw it over to Safari that has no hindrances at all for just these occasions…90% of the page was advertising. The banner up top expanded to force-play a video (for 30 seconds), while the video viewer that will eventually contain the video that I came for was also playing a 30 second video (volume on - the other had off by default). I sat there in stunned amazement. When the 30 seconds was up, my video started playing, but the banner up top reloaded a NEW 30 second video.

Safari 11.0.3 on macOS 10.13.3, no plug-ins or extension other than uBlock:

No problem, no tracking.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 16, 2018 11:38PM
Somebody studied under the late 90's 'popup fever' design philosophy....
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 17, 2018 03:52PM
Why buy a pi? Here's Why.
Posted by: fauch
Date: March 18, 2018 06:55PM
I'm at the point where unless it is especially urgent, if I need to turn off my adblocker to see a page, I just click the X instead...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 19, 2018 02:01PM
A lot of sites that throw up the content blocker have the Reader view option. So far, clicking that bypasses the content blocker every time.

I've only turned off uBlock and AdBlock Plus a very few times. Before I do, I launch a private browsing window and turn off cookie access. I think only one or two sites balked at that. I saw on a podcast awhile back one of the better know Mac tech guys (don't remember who) said he does almost all of his surfing via private browsing.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020