advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
mattresses...yet again
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 17, 2018 01:17PM
It's been a few months since there was a mattress discussion here, so why not.

I won't go into our whole history with mattresses, and yes, I have already looked through all the previous threads here. What I think I'm looking for, but can't seem to find is a mattress with a support base layer (spring or foam) with a top layer of latex foam or memory foam that's more than a couple of inches thick and is part of the actual mattress. I'm looking for maybe three or four inches for a soft top layer.

We used to like a very firm mattress, but maybe due to age and sleep patterns, I'm finding that a firm mattress now leaves me with aching shoulders and neck. We had a decent combo of a firm memory foam mattress on top of which we added a 4" memory foam topper. That was a nice combination, but the damn topper just didn't line up right with the mattress and making up the bed was a pain in the butt.

There has to be a mattress with a thick memory foam mattress top that isn't just a topper? And oh yeah, it should be cheap, too. If I have to get another in five years, so be it. I might want something different by then.

BTW, one of the problems I'm finding is that I'll think I found the perfect solution, and it gets great reviews. Except in half of those great reviews they say how nice and soft it is and that it's like sleeping on a cloud. And then the next review for the same exact mattress will say it's like sleeping on a slab of concrete. I didn't think firm and soft were subjective qualities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 01:40PM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: mattresses...yet again
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 17, 2018 01:33PM
I'm looking around myself. But I'd like to stick with a topper to get the 4lb density that suits me. And be able to replace it every few years. Like you I just don't trust the subjectivity of the reviews. But it'd sure be nice to get rid of box springs and just have a mattress with a topper.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 17, 2018 01:42PM
I don't really have any advice, but I went in odd direction last time I went mattress shopping. There was a small local biz down the road that had been there for decades and I just decided that I was gonna give them my business. In a very rare situation for me, I did no price comparisons anywhere. I went into the place and found a mother/daughter team running the place (clearly the 40-50yo daughter was now in charge having taken over for the parents). The place was empty and they gave me as much help and as much space as I needed. In an hour a made a choice and it was delivered the next day.

That was about 4 years ago and this is still the best mattress I've ever had. I just rotated it for the first time in over a year even though it didn't seem to need it and it feels just as good as before.

Sadly, I may have been one of their last customers. A short time later, going out of biz signs went up. I went in there and there was some guy there that didn't know anything about any mother/daughter team.

sad...

I'm a cheapskate shopper and am often crowing (right here) about amazing deals I've found, but this one - paying list price with no discount and no price comparison shopping has been one of my best deals ever. How valuable is a good night's sleep? Just a lucky fluke I imagine, but I'm grateful.

Good luck in your quest
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 17, 2018 02:59PM
"I'm finding that a firm mattress now leaves me with aching shoulders and neck."

It's your pillow.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 17, 2018 03:15PM
Interesting you say that. I thought that certainly contributes, so I bought a new pillow. Can't tell yet if it's making it worse or better.
Date: March 17, 2018 03:42PM
wurm
Interesting you say that. I thought that certainly contributes, so I bought a new pillow. Can't tell yet if it's making it worse or better.

You would notice the difference overnight.

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 17, 2018 03:47PM
sleeplikethedead.com
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 17, 2018 04:00PM
Really sounds like you're describing a tuft and needle. Why not take advantage of their 100 night trial. If you don't like if they donate it to a charity (and deal with picking it up I think). We love ours.

Good write up /review on their foam and layering here: [www.google.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 17, 2018 04:13PM
Just bought a second mattress from Tuft & Needle (on Amazon). Both kids love them so far. When it's time to replace our mattress, I will probably get another one.

Can't beat the 100 day trial.
Date: March 17, 2018 04:36PM
I was strongly considering a Tuft and Needle. But most reviews I've read - even those on their own website and their own description – refer to it as being more on the firm side of medium-firm.

The good thing about the search is that so many out there now offer at least a 100 day trial. Hell, the Nectar which looks like a possible candidate, offers a 365 day trial. Most all of them that offer the generous trial period also will come pick it up. Hard to beat that, aside from the slight inconvenience.

I checked out sleeplikethedead.com based on previous threads here. Guess I'll spend a little more time there.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 17, 2018 04:43PM
Any concern about these foam mattresses off-gassing?

I'm looking for a twin for the boy, but hedging based on this issue.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 17, 2018 05:00PM
Wurm,

If you're looking at mattresses, don't forget to factor in a foundation (if your bed requires one). Or, better yet, purchase a quality platform bed that makes a foundation unnecessary. Better support and saves you money over the long-term.

My wife and I switched from a regular bed frame and foundation to quality metal platform bed and haven't looked back. See my threads about the one I bought and still adore. The Purple metal platform bed is very similar to the one my wife and I have right now.

Robert

P.S. I like this guys reviews of platform beds:

[sleepopolis.com]
Date: March 17, 2018 05:18PM
Yep, we still have the teak platform bed we bought when we were first married 34 years ago. Nice not to have had to deal with box springs all these years. Interestingly, I think it came with a latex mattress way back then and it served us well for many years. Hell, now we probably couldn't afford a queen size Talalay latex mattress if we wanted one.
Posted by: norse
Date: March 17, 2018 05:44PM
Sleep Number bed for me.
Date: March 17, 2018 08:10PM
wurm
Yep, we still have the teak platform bed we bought when we were first married 34 years ago. Nice not to have had to deal with box springs all these years. Interestingly, I think it came with a latex mattress way back then and it served us well for many years. Hell, now we probably couldn't afford a queen size Talalay latex mattress if we wanted one.

The last mattress we bought came with a box spring whether you wanted it or not.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 17, 2018 08:21PM
We went with Brooklyn Bedding (no relation to Brooklyn) for our guest bed and have been happy. Just shop around a bit for an online mattress and take advantage of the trial period.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 17, 2018 08:36PM
Speedy,

Our last mattress, which is from Macy’s, came with a foundation as a freebie. We told the salesperson we neither needed nor wanted the foundation and asked for a discount if we didn’t take it. She knocked an additional $100 off the price.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 18, 2018 03:56AM
wurm
Interestingly, I think it came with a latex mattress way back then and it served us well for many years. Hell, now we probably couldn't afford a queen size Talalay latex mattress if we wanted one.

I LOVE my Talalay latex mattress. It was expensive as mattresses go but oh so worth it -- just as comfortable and perfectly supportive today as the day I bought it four years ago.

It is what it is.
Date: March 18, 2018 04:16AM
Robert M
Speedy,

Our last mattress, which is from Macy’s, came with a foundation as a freebie. We told the salesperson we neither needed nor wanted the foundation and asked for a discount if we didn’t take it. She knocked an additional $100 off the price.

Robert

I tried that and it was rejected.

Posted by: sekker
Date: March 18, 2018 09:03AM
Sleep Number will allow you to adjust as you like. It’s more expensive but from your backyard (MN).

We like our Casper mattress and would get another if that made sense.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: March 18, 2018 09:13AM
Wurm- what you describe sounds like what I got late last year. It’s pricy, and I had my doubts, but I have not considered sending it back. Ever.

[www.mattressfirm.com]

We have it on a platform adjustable base, so no box spring. It is awesome. Period.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 18, 2018 12:00PM
Best nights sleep I ever had was in a hammock, but the wife won't let me hang one in the bedroom.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: March 18, 2018 10:13PM
Ombligo
Best nights sleep I ever had was in a hammock, but the wife won't let me hang one in the bedroom.

Let her take it for a spin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020