advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Some amazing 4k video from a hike down the Grand Canyon
Posted by: hal
Date: March 17, 2018 04:04PM
I've posted lots of my backpacking pictures here and some love them. Some even say they live vicariously through my adventures...

Well, I live vicariously through THIS GUY'S adventures.

He makes amazing videos of his hikes in Glacier NP, Yellowstone and all over the south west. The guy has literally spent 200 nights/year in a tent the last several years.

Here is a preview of his upcoming Grand Canyon hike video. These usually run from 45min to 2 hours depending on the distance traveled, but this is just a 6minute highlight video.
[www.youtube.com]

Subscribe to this guys youtube channel for more - it's all free entertainment...

This guy does some great tripod shots - here's a screen grab:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Some amazing 4k video from a hike down the Grand Canyon
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 17, 2018 07:09PM
Probably because of my lousy throughput I can only see 720p on my 27" ACD. It looks like it was recorded at >30fps and is a great video, regardless.

Even without any 4K iron, I thought I'd download the 4K version and watch it on my 5K iMac. No joy. The highest resolution is 1440p. I guess YT doesn't want their throughput grossly affected?

I don't now how it'll look, but the Apple TV screen savers look great on all my Macs. I've found very little 4K content to watch (again without a 4K monitor) and most is either upscaled 720/1080 or 3840x2160 (though maybe that doesn't really matter.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 17, 2018 07:40PM
Got it as 2560x1440/30fps.

I'll doubt it'll look any/much better on the 5K iMac than the LED ACD.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 17, 2018 07:46PM
That young lady standing on the freeze/thaw LOOSE rock is making me very nervous.
I've stood on the edge like that on something that appeared much more solid and it broke free from my weight. Luckily just a six inch chunk. But still ...
Nice shots.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 18, 2018 02:47PM
Some great stuff! The clarity on that teaser footage is stunning and does the scenery justice. Thanks for posting. Is this the same guy that you posted with footage from near Death Valley or the PCT stretch near Mojave a few years ago (might be mis-remembering the exact location)? This guy has a lot of footage...might have to spend an evening with a beer watching them. I see several trips he's posted of trips I've done...super cool.

Just makes me want to get back the desert. Spend a couple of days camping and biking in Sedona over Christmas with my father which was great, but really need to get out on an extended back pack trip.

Might head into the Escalante region with my son later this spring. Fingers crossed!

And side related question...any cool new gear in your backpacking kit? Haven't added much myself in a while. Just got the new Backpacker Editor's Choide issue yesterday in the mail...nothing that truly grabbed my attention. Gonna have to look through it again.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 18, 2018 09:30PM
That same guy did some great Escalante hikes in the last couple of years. I posted a Whitney to Death Valley video some time ago - not the same guy. But those two met last year and did a sierra hike together.

I'm a gear junky and just can't help it.

Got a new Enlightened Equip quilt for this season, a new Nemo Tensor pad. I've replaced ALL of my old gear. Everything is less than 3 years old now. And I LOVE IT. I've just been doing little 2 night trips, but I'm gonna do some more substantial stuff this season.
Posted by: Bo
Date: March 19, 2018 12:26PM
I did watch a couple of the Escalante videos as that is an area I have done about 5-6 trips through. Some of my absolute favorite country. Would highly recommend it if you haven't been.

I did the whole new gear thing about 6-7 years ago...so nice to update everything. Since then though, not much. Love my Klymit Static V Luxe pad. Packs down super tiny, inflates super huge 76x30x30. Not insulated but I'm mostly 3 season and have a fantastic MontBell down bag so it hasn't been an issue. Also love having switched over to the Sawyer water filtration systems. I have a few...thrilled to be done with pumping

That Tensor pad looks nice. Been meaning to grab one of the Tikka lights on a cable you suggested in another thread.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020