advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If you get a call from yourself, don't answer!
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: March 23, 2018 02:28PM
I just got a call on my cell phone from myself. I've never seen that before so answered but didn't say anything. Then some guy said something about AT&T and a "security risk" and wanted the last 4 digits of my social security number. Of course I didn't say anything and just hung up. Have any of our Forumites received one of these calls?

Here's a link to one article I found, of many, that describes almost exactly what happened.

[www.goodhousekeeping.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you get a call from yourself, don't answer!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 23, 2018 02:42PM
I usually don't answer numbers calling from my prefix (I have never met a real person with the same prefix), so I would likely not answer just because of that.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 23, 2018 02:51PM
I've had two or three of those. It's kind of creepy.
Posted by: 3d
Date: March 23, 2018 02:53PM
I get a few of those on my cell phone. Maybe 2-3 a month.

My number is something similar to: 212-345-6xxy. The first few times I see an incoming call with a similar number with the last few digits changed I was curious, but let it go into voicemail. Now I just ignore.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 23, 2018 02:54PM
I've received calls from myself (as well as others in my company's pool of DIDs), but they are always from people trying to sell me a vacation.

It is what it is.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: March 23, 2018 03:06PM
I'm honestly surprised that it doesn't happen more frequently. One can install and launch an Asterisk phone system in a short amount of time. You can download a robo-dialer and dump a stack of phone numbers in an have it reconfigure the caller-id number to match the number called and boom...you're in business to start collecting names, SS#s and credit card info.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 23, 2018 03:08PM
I don't get calls from my own number but I have been getting calls from the same first 3 digits of my cell phone after area code. I picked up once because I thought it was a number I recognized. The scam was some sort of free stay at a Marriott Hotel.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 23, 2018 03:08PM
......the call is coming from inside.......the house.....!!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 23, 2018 03:14PM
hiya / mynumber tells me if the call is probably caller ID spoofing. And guess what. If it's not in my directory, it usually IS. Evil boogers...
Posted by: blooz
Date: March 23, 2018 03:15PM
I get calls with the area code and three digit prefix for our town. It's a small town and I know that if the last four numbers start with 2,4, 6, 7, they are fake.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 03:15PM by blooz.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 23, 2018 03:24PM
....a lot of the marketing calls spoof area codes now.......one even spoofs the first three digits of work number but the clue is caller ID doesn't show name......if it was internal the caller ID would pull up name........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: March 23, 2018 03:35PM
I've also gotten many calls with my area code but I don't answer them. This was a new twist to me when I got a call from myself. I was very sure it had to be a scam so I didn't respond either verbally or with any other input. From my research and the responses to this thread it's obvious that this has been going on for awhile. I had just never seen it before.

Obviously I won't be answering myself anymore!
Posted by: billb
Date: March 23, 2018 03:40PM
MindMeld

If you get a call from yourself, don't answer!

I try !
I always get a busy signal.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 23, 2018 04:21PM
If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 23, 2018 05:01PM
Reach Out, Reach Out and touch yourself.

NOW it makes sense......
Date: March 23, 2018 05:43PM
pRICE cUBE
I don't get calls from my own number but I have been getting calls from the same first 3 digits of my cell phone after area code. I picked up once because I thought it was a number I recognized. The scam was some sort of free stay at a Marriott Hotel.

Yes, these are the ones I get all the time.

It is what it is.
Date: March 23, 2018 05:45PM
blooz
I get calls with the area code and three digit prefix for our town. It's a small town and I know that if the last four numbers start with 2,4, 6, 7, they are fake.

2, 4, 6, 7, who do we appreciate eleven heaven, ...OK, WTF?

It is what it is.
Posted by: max
Date: March 23, 2018 06:01PM
MindMeld
I just got a call on my cell phone from myself. I've never seen that before so answered but didn't say anything. Then some guy said something about AT&T and a "security risk" and wanted the last 4 digits of my social security number.

I ask for their SS number and when they refuse to provide it, I offer to sell it to them....
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 23, 2018 06:43PM
blooz

yeah, 601 is the ATT prefix for nor cal -- has been forever... so I get 601-xxxx, and sometimes think it might be a cell from one of the kids parents or something... but I ignore.

I often wonder the same thing on CCards. first 8 digits are specific to a bank and area? so spoofers really only need the last digits?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 23, 2018 08:01PM
Yup, If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer it. If it's a real call, they'll leave a message.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 24, 2018 12:25AM
Last week we experienced a new low: my wife's cell got a call spoofing our home phone at 4am. Thanks, FCC.

It has only happened that one time. What they've been doing a couple times a week, though, is call her cell number, spoofing a local number, and when she doesn't answer, they immediately call our landline. I'm going to have to change our home number and list it under a different name.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 12:26AM by Mike Johnson.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 24, 2018 05:54AM
Have any of our Forumites received one of these calls?

I got one.

It was coming from inside the house!

Ok, no it wasn't. But I did't bother answering it, as it could only be a telemarketer scum. 99% of the calls I get on my landline are from my same area code and prefix, and they're probably telemarketer scum as well.

Since 2007, I've got probably four bogus calls on my 'Phone. That will change I'm sure. But knock on wood.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 24, 2018 07:42AM
between truecaller on the cell and ooma on the ll, I answer nothing that I don't recognize.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 24, 2018 08:53AM
Do Not Disturb for anyone not in my Contacts (of which most are on Emergency Bypass) on my iPhone, and Google Voice via Obihai on our "landline". GV is very good with weeding out Spam callers. Every once in a while when I pull out my phone to check the time, I'll see that I missed a call – very often from a number with our area code and exchange. I add the number to my blocked calls and go on with my life. This has been the best solution thus far for me and it has really helped a lot.

As mentioned before, blocking on the iPhone does send it to voicemail( which I really wish were not an option), but they very rarely leave a message thankfully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 08:54AM by wurm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 39
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020