advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rechargeable AA's... does the phorum still prefer Enelooops ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 26, 2018 12:57PM
TIA !
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rechargeable AA's... does the phorum still prefer Enelooops ?
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 26, 2018 01:00PM
Yes, but I found some AA at IKEA rated at 2450 mAh and I am testing those now.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 26, 2018 01:00PM
If you have an Ikea nearby, there's chatter that Ikea's rechargeables might be "white label" Eneloops. The specs are the same, they are made in the same factory and testing of the capacity/power draw is close enough to be within the margin of error. And they are dirt cheap compared to Eneloops.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 26, 2018 01:08PM
Gareth
If you have an Ikea nearby, there's chatter that Ikea's rechargeables might be "white label" Eneloops. The specs are the same, they are made in the same factory and testing of the capacity/power draw is close enough to be within the margin of error. And they are dirt cheap compared to Eneloops.

Yup. I bought 8 AA and 4 AAA a few weeks ago, for the same cost as 4 AA eneloops.

[www.ikea.com]

They have a 12 battery charger, but it was too much $ for what I need

[www.ikea.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 01:09PM by jdc.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 26, 2018 01:33PM
It doesn't seem to be on their website but Costco has a decent kit if you have C and D cell flashlights
[www.cochaser.com]

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 26, 2018 02:15PM
I've heard that Amazon branded ones are the real deal.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 26, 2018 02:56PM
Cbelt,

Eneloops are good but nothing special these days. I've had several fail. I'm a fan of Tenargy Centura NiMH rechargeables. Good batteries. Work well and even do the job in Little M's toys. I use the "Little M toy" test to see if a rechargeable battery is up to the job. Eneloops, PowerEX and others failed the test. Tenargy Centura batteries passed it. They're readily available from amazon.com. I've heard good thing about Amazon labeled NiMH batteries but haven't had a need to test them yet. Still have ample Tenargy sticks.

Robert
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 26, 2018 03:36PM
'Loops or clones. I have many Eneloops, as well as Tenergy, Amazon, and Apple clones/rebrands and all work well.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 26, 2018 04:58PM
Tenargys are cheap cost wise -- $19 for 8 AA and 8 AAA.

2600 vs 2450 for eneloop/ikea/amazon

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 26, 2018 05:18PM
Moonrays for outdoor lighting.
EBL's for D size lantern batteries.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: March 26, 2018 05:39PM
Bernie,

EBL is another solid brand. Use their batteries, too. No issues. Passed the toy test, too. I only have a few of them so they didn't come to mind.

Robert
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: March 26, 2018 05:41PM
I got some AA Jugee Li-polymer rechargeable off eBay that I use in my Garmin hiking GPS. They're 3000mWh and came with a USB charger that works in my RV Compared to ordinary Alkaline these things are fantastic. With Alkaline I could hike about 5 hours before running totally out of power, with the Jugee I find I can hike 2+ days without having to worry about running out of power.

Also got some AAA Kentl's with a USB charger for my devices that need the smaller batteries. Haven't really stressed them yet, but they appear to be just as robust as the Jugee's.
Date: March 26, 2018 05:42PM
Robert M
... I use the "Little M toy" test to see if a rechargeable battery is up to the job. Eneloops, PowerEX and others failed the test. Tenargy Centura batteries passed it. ...
Robert

Can you please give some details about the test? is there a particular toy that requires higher voltage and only some batteries work? or Eneloops worked but for a very short time, and Tenargy Centura laster much longer? some details would be highly appreciated.
Date: March 26, 2018 06:58PM
Space,

The toy just didn't work at all with the battery, despite a fresh charge. The batteries worked in other items, i.e. flashlight, remote control, battery operated clock/alarm clock, etc. Not the toy such as a bouncer.

Robert
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 26, 2018 07:22PM
Thanks for the tip on the EBL's... I had never heard of them and there pricing seems very reasonable.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: March 26, 2018 07:39PM
Robert M
Space,

The toy just didn't work at all with the battery, despite a fresh charge. The batteries worked in other items, i.e. flashlight, remote control, battery operated clock/alarm clock, etc. Not the toy such as a bouncer.

Robert

Interesting. I never heard of something like this happening. I wonder if the dimensions (length) was slightly shorter than other batteries and did not make good contact? because electrically Eneloops should be able to handle a bouncer.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 26, 2018 08:54PM
I've had highly variable luck with the Amazon batteries.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: March 26, 2018 10:41PM
I’ve switched over the eneloop pro batteries. They are slightly higher capacity and the forums say they are better at holding their capacity.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 26, 2018 10:44PM
Great thread. Time to do some shopping - might just get some from IKEA.
Posted by: qdog2
Date: March 27, 2018 05:47AM
My eneloop pro batteries died after about a year. I only used them one time in an old point and shoot camera.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2018 06:53AM
.....yes because fruitLooops don't work as well......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 27, 2018 07:29AM
Powerex rechargeable are my current favorite
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 27, 2018 09:12AM
anonymouse1
I've had highly variable luck with the Amazon batteries.

The "made in Japan" Amazon batteries are the ones to get, supposedly.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 27, 2018 01:01PM
space-time
Robert M
Space,

Robert

Interesting. I never heard of something like this happening. I wonder if the dimensions (length) was slightly shorter than other batteries and did not make good contact? because electrically Eneloops should be able to handle a bouncer.

FYI some devices require a higher voltage to work properly/at all, or more accurately don't tolerate the lower voltages in rechargeable batteries (1.2V) vs. Alkaline and Carbon Zinc (1.5V). I have a weather station and a wall clock which don't work when the voltage sags below roughly 1.15V.

This is no problem for alkalines which maintain that charge on these low-power devices for a long time (usually until the bloody Costco AAs leak). But the rechargeables start out at 1.2V so they only discharge about half way before they aren't working well any more. No big deal as I just put in a new set of 'Loops and pop the 50%ers into something which works until 0.9V to fully drain them but it's a bit of an annoyance. The newer chemistry 1.6V rechargeables would avoid that entirely but seem to be a bit more fragile than NiMHs so I haven't decided to try them out.
Date: March 27, 2018 08:05PM
Lew Zealand
space-time
Robert M
Space,

Robert

FYI some devices require a higher voltage to work properly/at all, or more accurately don't tolerate the lower voltages in rechargeable batteries (1.2V) vs. Alkaline and Carbon Zinc (1.5V). I have a weather station and a wall clock which don't work when the voltage sags below roughly 1.15V.

This is no problem for alkalines which maintain that charge on these low-power devices for a long time (usually until the bloody Costco AAs leak). But the rechargeables start out at 1.2V so they only discharge about half way before they aren't working well any more. No big deal as I just put in a new set of 'Loops and pop the 50%ers into something which works until 0.9V to fully drain them but it's a bit of an annoyance. The newer chemistry 1.6V rechargeables would avoid that entirely but seem to be a bit more fragile than NiMHs so I haven't decided to try them out.

Yes, I know about voltage. But Robert said other NiMH batteries worked just fine in that bouncer.

... I use the "Little M toy" test to see if a rechargeable battery is up to the job. Eneloops, PowerEX and others failed the test. Tenargy Centura batteries passed it. ...

No NiMH is NiMH. I don't think a particular brand has higher voltage than other brands. What Sanyo/Eneloop did back in 2005 was that they developed a process that slowed down he self-discharge of NiMH cells that they became practical. before that, you pretty much had to charge the cells a day or two before you used them, otherwise they would discharge in a few weeks.
Date: March 28, 2018 05:44AM
Space,

No answers for you. I'd measure the bats that didn't work but they're all out of circulation now. The issue could be voltage but also slight variations in the design. Batteries come in standard sizes but there are still tolerances within those standards.

As much as I'd like to say otherwise, NiMH batt are great when they work but longevity is an issue. They just don't hold up as well as I'd like over the long term. Is the failure rate enough to stop using them? Nopes. Love'im! Now I just stick with makes and models I know work in everything.

Robert
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 28, 2018 08:50AM
none of my dozens of decade-old Tenergy LSD NiMH will hold a charge for more than a few days anymore.

eneloops of that vintage still work fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020