advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
1Password users - how do you deal with a bunch of logins on the same domain name?
Posted by: clay
Date: March 27, 2018 01:39PM
I'm sure there's a way to deal with this, but figured someone here may know....

So, on my personal domain, at any one time I might have 10 different sites operating off of subdomains. So, for instance:

mydomain.com/
mydomain.com/client1site/
mydomain.com/client2site/
mydomain.com:2083 (cpanel hosting control panel)
etc...

So, imagine there is a username/password associated with each of the sites (e.g. a Wordpress admin user/pass). When I'm at the login screen and pull up the mini-menu to fill the password, the correct info is there and I click it and it logs in. But, so are the other 9 logins that are based off of the same root URL (mydomain.com), even though the address after the root URL is different. Is there any way that 1Password will be more specific in what it offers as possibilities when showing me the list for any one of the particular login pages?

I don't see anything at first glance in the 1Password preferences that would seem to deal with this question, but perhaps I'm missing something. Any tips? Running the latest 1Password v6 (standalone) on my computer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 1Password users - how do you deal with a bunch of logins on the same domain name?
Posted by: Golfer
Date: March 27, 2018 02:03PM
I have a couple like that. I label them with the same to start and different extensions

goplant admin
goplant user
goplant employee
goplant supervisor
goplant corporate

They all show when I click on the 1Password icon but it makes it easier to select which one I need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 02:05PM by Golfer.
Re: 1Password users - how do you deal with a bunch of logins on the same domain name?
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: March 27, 2018 02:04PM
I use LastPass, but have a similar situation with multiple logins on the same domain. Not sure if 1Password allows you, but in LastPass, you can assign a different name to each login. So I add a differentiator in parenthesis as part of the name and the list of names is displayed in a list when logging into a website. So the list will show:

Domainname.com (Login1)
Domainname.com (Login2)
Domainname.com (Login3)
etc.

Not sure if that helps.

Good luck!

Gilbert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 27, 2018 04:27PM
Gilbert
I use LastPass, but have a similar situation with multiple logins on the same domain. Not sure if 1Password allows you, but in LastPass, you can assign a different name to each login. So I add a differentiator in parenthesis as part of the name and the list of names is displayed in a list when logging into a website. So the list will show:

Domainname.com (Login1)
Domainname.com (Login2)
Domainname.com (Login3)

Yes, 1Password allows users to do that. I have both mine and my mother's Netflix authentication saved in 1Password.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 27, 2018 04:55PM
I’m assuming you have "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites” checked? Try turning it off.

If there are login/pw combos you want made available across multiple sites or multiple subdomains, you can enter multiple urls for them.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 27, 2018 07:42PM
As others have posted, I save separate logins and identify them with unique names.

Domain-Name - Arnold
Domain-Name - Betty
Domain-Name - Charles
Etc.

If the 1PW plugin detects that you've entered a new U/P for a site, it'll prompt you to save the new login and at that time you can opt to save over the original login or save a new one.

If it doesn't detect that you're entering a new U/P for the site, just duplicate the login item in the 1Password app, then give the new copy a new and unique name and edit the username and password on it to match your second login.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 07:43PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 27, 2018 08:10PM
Putting a date on it can also be helpful, even though 1P records the date.

But it seems that every now and again, some 1P spring cleaning will be in store for users…
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 27, 2018 08:27PM
Since you can name them whatever you want, why not just name it what makes sense to you?

clay . com
widgets . com
things . com
allyourbase . com

Open 1P, choose whichever one you want to change, hit edit, type in new name, done.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 27, 2018 10:33PM
Mike Johnson
I’m assuming you have "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites” checked? Try turning it off.

If there are login/pw combos you want made available across multiple sites or multiple subdomains, you can enter multiple urls for them.

Where is this preference found? I don't see it going through 1P prefs section in the main app on my Mac.
Date: March 27, 2018 10:37PM
jdc
Since you can name them whatever you want, why not just name it what makes sense to you?

clay . com
widgets . com
things . com
allyourbase . com

Open 1P, choose whichever one you want to change, hit edit, type in new name, done.

Yeah, I've named everything so that I can see the one I'm looking for when I'm at the login screen. I'm just trying to have that list not show me all 10 logins when I'm clearly at the login screen that just applies to a single one of those logins.
Date: March 28, 2018 01:15AM
clay
Yeah, I've named everything so that I can see the one I'm looking for when I'm at the login screen. I'm just trying to have that list not show me all 10 logins when I'm clearly at the login screen that just applies to a single one of those logins.

Hmmm, maybe Im not understanding.

Have you tried grouping them into a folder?

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 28, 2018 06:46AM
....you have to be the master......of your.....domain......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 28, 2018 07:54AM
On my main domain, when I go to a login on that domain, I get the following sort of window option for 1Password:

On other domains where there's only one (sometimes 2) login combo saved, I see something similar to the following:

Actually, that second example is still showing more than I think it should. The top option in that second example is for a cpanel login, so the saved login details are for something like

domain.com/cpanel
and the second option in that list is something like:
domain.com/wp-admin

Actually, maybe that's a more clear example of what I'm asking...if I'm clearly at the domain.com/wp-admin address in my browser when I open the 1Password mini menu, why does it also populate the 1Password mini menu with the domain.com/cpanel login credentials as well? Totally different URL, although they both are based on the same domain name.

I have them labeled so I know what they all are, and I can always pick the right one. But on my main domain (first example screenshot), there might be 10 or more login combos to choose from. I'd like 1P to be a bit more specific--if I save a login at a specific address, I don't want to see that login at a different (but still based on same domain name) address. Seems illogical to me that I'm seeing so many of these options.

Who knows. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
Date: March 28, 2018 09:43AM
Again, not sure if this is helpful, but a folder with domains grouped?

Date: March 28, 2018 09:46AM
jdc
Again, not sure if this is helpful, but a folder with domains grouped?

I guess my question is mostly about why 1P doesn't seemingly pick up on context a bit better. If a set of credentials works for a specific URL (e.g. the URL where I originally entered and then saved in 1P the login credentials), why am I seeing 10 other credentials on a URL that they won't work on? I can deal with picking the correct one out of a list of 10 because I have them labeled appropriately, but why is 1P even showing me the other 9 login credentials, all of which were saved at different login pages?

I should probably just ask this question of agilebits support, but seemed like such a fundamental issue that someone else had certainly encountered/solved by now.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: March 28, 2018 09:49AM
Should be on Prefs / Browser tab
Date: March 28, 2018 09:51AM
Mike Johnson
Should be on Prefs / Browser tab

thanks...found it. It was unchecked already. Just tested with it checked and unchecked, and doesn't make much difference in this case.
Date: March 29, 2018 03:16PM
fyi, just heard from AgileBits support (after sending support request via email) the following:

"1Password only matches domains and subdomains, so despite having different paths, all of your Login items will show up when visiting that website if they have the same domain."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020