Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New 2TB SSD. How best to set up?
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 28, 2018 05:13PM
Poll
What's the BEST way to clone a drive these days?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
17 votes were received.
Can't go wrong with CCC. It's worth $40 13

76%
SuperDuper. Can't beat FREE! 3

18%
I recommend/use something else. See below. 1

6%

The Micron 2.5", 2TB SSD mentioned here ~ a week ago has arrived. I'll be swapping it for the 1TB Sanyo SSD that's currently in my 2017 MBP. Is Carbon Copy Cloner still the best way to make a bootable clone or, is there a newer, better way? TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New 2TB SSD. How best to set up?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 28, 2018 05:18PM
I think CCC is excellent. I'd forgotten about it until recently when I got tired of the constant nag of TM. I find CCC more user friendly.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 28, 2018 05:23PM
If you are just making a straight clone, I agree CCC.

Not sure how TM "nags" you -- it just does its thing invisibly in the background....

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 28, 2018 05:40PM
CCC. Just cloned my old bootable OS 10.12.6 Sandisk Ultra Flair 128GB USB stick to a new 512GB WD Blue 3D m.2 SSD in a USB3 m.2 case yesterday. It worked flawlessly and boots all my Macs.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 28, 2018 05:52PM
CCC. Great for incremental backups in addition to the initial cloning.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 28, 2018 06:00PM
ka jowct
CCC. Great for incremental backups in addition to the initial cloning.

Good point!

I used TM for backups for my Mom for years until I realized that in the case of a drive failure, she would be unable to use her computer as she's in a different city. Sure her data is backed up but what could she do with it.

Now I use CCC, which makes a bootable backup (I test it every time I visit) and also saves the daily backup versions. Best of both worlds.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: March 28, 2018 06:14PM
I use CCC for periodic backups of system drives, and ChronoSync for backup of specific folders as I work.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 28, 2018 06:21PM
And best of all, you can get support right here on the forum. They are the last real company that checks here periodically for CCC discussions.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: March 28, 2018 06:56PM
Use CCC all the time; part of my daily regiment. Can't recommend it highly enough.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: tronnei
Date: March 28, 2018 08:38PM
If all you need to do is clone, just use Disk Utility. I've done it; it works.

[www.lifewire.com]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 28, 2018 10:01PM
tronnei
If all you need to do is clone, just use Disk Utility. I've done it; it works.

[www.lifewire.com]

Took the words right out of my mouth (fingers).

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 28, 2018 10:08PM
If all that you're doing is a one-time clone from your old drive then use Carbon Copy Cloner in trial mode.

...And if you want to set up nightly backups later, yeah, it's totally worth the $40 bucks.

Posted by: rz
Date: March 29, 2018 09:36AM
Funny, I started with CCC WAYYYY back. Even helped Mike B. once with an issue I was having... he made some fixes and asked me to check them. Then there was an OS update (forget which one) that messed something up. I'm pretty sure this was back when we were still on Dealmac. I posted a question, and almost everyone said to use SuperDuper because it was "so much easier to use than CCC". Never thought it was easier, but paid for it anyway. Because I'm a cheap bastige, I have kept using SuperDuper. I should probably look at CCC again.
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: March 29, 2018 11:37AM
Hal - I started reading DealMac before Mike wrote CCC! smiley-laughing001 But, yeah, I still read the forum every day and if I see anything CCC related I try to respond.

We have one new thing on the horizon that we're excited about and haven't yet made a public announcement - APFS snapshots. We received an entitlement from Apple and CCC now has direct access to create and delete snapshots on APFS volumes. (You can even view and I think delete your Time Machine snapshots from within CCC.) CCC will allow you to control how often snapshots are created and even have control over how long you keep them, unlike with TM. As far as we know, no one else has implemented this functionality into their software. (Note: this is different from using the command line Time Machine snapshot utility, because Time Machine still manages the snapshots and they can disappear at any time, as I understand it.)

Snapshots are part of our 5.1 beta and we hope to get the full release out the door in the next couple of weeks. CCC 5.1 is ready to go in terms of functionality if you want to kick the tires but we're holding off on release because we're working on tweaking some of the dialogs. Once that's done everything has to be sent off to our localizers since we support 7 languages.

To get the newest beta, launch CCC and go to Carbon Copy Cloner > Preferences > check the box next to "Inform me of beta releases".

It's my job to figure out how to explain the new features and create some marketing around them. If you try out CCC 5.1 and have questions, find things confusing, or just want to make a comment, I'd love to hear your feedback! Here's the technical info about 5.1: [bombich.com] and [bombich.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 29, 2018 05:51PM
There are no doubt solid reasons for cloning or migrating to a new drive.

I prefer to start a new one with a 'from scratch' installation. It's not fast by any means, but that gives me a chance to leave a lot of debris behind.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 29, 2018 06:17PM
FormerlySaleenl
It's my job to figure out how to explain the new features and create some marketing around them. If you try out CCC 5.1 and have questions, find things confusing, or just want to make a comment, I'd love to hear your feedback!

Haven't tried 5.1 yet, but I have some feedback on v5...

One thing that bugs me (just a bit!) about CCC v5 is the way that power-user features are hidden.

For example, the tiny magnifying glass icon and popup for the "Copy Some Files" option that can be used to exclude items from the backup. It's non-intuitive to me and I have to keep reminding myself that I need to open the popup now when I look for the list and don't find it.

I'm not an interface guru. Dunno what's the best way to fix that. Not sure that reverting to the old interface is the solution for this, but having the "copy some files" file/folder-list hidden in a popup instead of embedded in the window below a disclosure-triangle feels like a step backwards. Maybe it's just from years of seeing the list in the main CCC window.

Another little thing: On Macs that aren't set to show scroll bars, there's little to indicate that you can scroll down (or click the phrase "Advanced Settings") to see advanced settings. On a small screen, and in particular when sharing the screen with a headless server (which defaults to a tiny display-resolution), it's hard to see where to click/scroll to customize backup jobs.

...I believe that in early versions, clicking the "Advanced Settings" disclosure triangle didn't "jump" the window the way that it does now, so there's been some progress on that front.

I also have a feature-request... Could you badge disk-icons to indicate the file-system used on the drive? When I set up a backup to a disk image that's not presently mounted, there's a little badge that indicates that it's not mounted. That's very helpful. It'd also be helpful to easily discern which vols are HFS+ and which are APFS. Had some unpleasant surprises when HS installs converted 3rd party SSDs.

...Hope I'm not being a PITA with this. But since you're in the neighborhood... smiling smiley

...And in case I haven't mentioned in previous threads: You guys are awesome! Thanks not just for making a great product, but also for the unparalleled level of support you provide to your customers and (incredibly) on top of that for visiting this little corner of the 'net to support our community.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020