Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
review: One hour into Last Jedi
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 28, 2018 08:25PM
I'm an hour into The Jast Jedi.
It's not the plot (what there is of it so far). The dialogue kinda sucks and any characterization is dragged to a halt by the plodding along of each torturous development. Nobody seems to be having much fun zipping around the screen. Now I can see what Hamill was complaining about, it's not that Luke wouldn't do any of those things, he wouldn't waste his time.
Also, I think that Adam Driver is a wimp, but that's my personal opinion. They should have gotten real actors and and expressive dialogue. Anyway...back to the show.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: review: One hour into Last Jedi
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 28, 2018 10:00PM
and finally...slogging through endless battle scenes to make minor plot movements. CGI was very expensive. Weaponry seemed to have no particular purpose. Watching Carrie Fisher matted in was very creepy. Acting picked up slightly after deadly hour 1. Dialogue still clunked frequently. Glad I didn't pay for it.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: March 29, 2018 08:19AM
Isn't this the case with all modern Sy-fy/superhero blockbusters? Plots are derivative and uncreative (redundant?), and what character development is sacrificed at the altar of CGI pyrotechnics. There are a few exceptions, but even those are merely average, bolstered solely by the contrast with the overwhelming detritus flooding out of Hollywood.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 29, 2018 01:30PM
Steve G.
Watching Carrie Fisher matted in was very creepy.

??? I don't think Carrie was matted in. She was alive for the filming and reshoots.

Billybob
Isn't this the case with all modern Sy-fy/superhero blockbusters? Plots are derivative and uncreative (redundant?), and what character development is sacrificed at the altar of CGI pyrotechnics. There are a few exceptions, but even those are merely average, bolstered solely by the contrast with the overwhelming detritus flooding out of Hollywood.

Generally, yeah. I would have hoped Star Wars would be exempt from that, but nope. Comes from being written by committee of sales, not writers/fans. The Last Star Trek Movie was actually very good, character-wise; it was written by ST fans. Explains why it tanked in the US. The new STD TV series is pretty bad as well, written by a sales committee, not writers.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 29, 2018 05:45PM
Also, I think that Adam Driver is a wimp, but that's my personal opinion. They should have gotten real actors and and expressive dialogue.

Agreed on both counts.

Glad I didn't pay for it.

Agreed. But I wish I had passed. It wasn't entertaining for me at all. Except for all the CGI, I've seen fan-based stuff that was about as good.

I am a big fan of A New Hope, but the enchantment dimmed with each sequel.

Isn't this the case with all modern Sy-fy/superhero blockbusters? Plots are derivative and uncreative (redundant?), and what character development is sacrificed at the altar of CGI pyrotechnics.

True, especially since I believe it's not nearly as easy as some people think to come up with new, fresh ideas, and not use CGI in a sci-fi film. But many still manage to be entertaining even if not worth of critical acclaim. That's all I ask for in a movie. Anything else is gravy.

The new STD TV series is pretty bad as well, written by a sales committee, not writers.

Not a fan of any STD, I am a fan of Star Trek: Discovery. There are a several shows I generally like but think their writers need a regular punch in the throat.

So if it takes a committee, I'm ok with that. I'm enjoying the show.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 74
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020