advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch or something else?
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 30, 2018 04:32PM
I am thinking of getting some soft of Smart Watch, mostly to keep track of heart rate when I work out, see who is calling, peek at text messages and email, and this would be nice when I am in clean room and I could keep my phone in my pocket. Right now I need to take my phone out of pocket before gowning up and I keep carrying the phone in my hand which is a pain. having a watch would allow me to leave the phone in my pocket under gown, and I could answer calls and read test message from watch.

Also, another very important feature to me would be some sort of sleep monitor. I need an App to tell me how long and especially how well I slept. Not sure how good Apple watch is at measuring the quantity and especially Quality of sleep.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? is there something else that can fulfill these goals?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch or something else?
Posted by: jh
Date: March 30, 2018 04:50PM
I am assuming you need an Apple Watch and you have an iPhone.

But

Just as an point of information I have an Android phone and have recently bought a Ticwatch E (probably an entry level smart watch model but enough bells and whistles to make it interesting--and modestly priced compared to other watches) There are other Ticwatch models as well as Android models. Anyway, I have been pleased with its performance so far with it meeting my simple needs. Monitors walking, heart rate, etc. It is suppose to work with an iPhone but I would check carefully about that feature. Watch runs Android Wear (now called Wear).
Posted by: Golfer
Date: March 30, 2018 05:37PM
I really get a lot of use out of my Apple Watch, I'd use it pair with your iPhone. I use a combination of sleep++ and cardiogram for monitoring my sleep.
Date: March 30, 2018 06:10PM
Golfer
I really get a lot of use out of my Apple Watch, I'd use it pair with your iPhone. I use a combination of sleep++ and cardiogram for monitoring my sleep.

interesting. Please share more info if possible (no need to go into personal details about your sleep). Does it report total amount of sleep, how much of that was in various stages, etc? I would like to know more about my sleep. The sleep study that I done at the hospital was not very useful IMHO as I was very uncomfortable in that bed with all those sensors hooked up to my head, chest, arms, and legs. I think some less intrusive device even though not as sophisticated at those sensors at the hospital, but used at home, and many night in a row can give more useful info. At least this is my hope.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: March 30, 2018 06:13PM
Yes...some good deals on the Apple Watch Series 1 right now if you don't need water resistance.

I just upgraded to Series 3 and have really begun to use it a lot just as you described.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 30, 2018 06:14PM
and AWs keep getting cheaper... see if you can find a series 1 or a refurb 2. Shoudl be under $200.

If you are tmobile, think the have a BOGO deal on a brand new one, but Im sure theres more to it. Liek extra $ for LTE plan...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: March 30, 2018 06:22PM
Liek extra $ for LTE plan...

No need for such a plan. Enough monthly fees in my life.

I might still get the cell model (if I decide to get one) since apparently you could make 911 calls even without a cell plan. That could come in handy, hopefully no one needs to call 911, but you never know.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 30, 2018 06:52PM
space-time

Also, another very important feature to me would be some sort of sleep monitor. I need an App to tell me how long and especially how well I slept. Not sure how good Apple watch is at measuring the quantity and especially Quality of sleep.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? is there something else that can fulfill these goals?

Supposedly Apple doesn't include a sleep App because in theory you are charging a watch while you sleep every night. There are sleep apps but I'd have to go read reviews to see of they are any good. From those that have fitbits I've been told for how I would use a smartwatch I would not be happy with a fitbit, to get the Apple watch. So I stilll have neither, LOL.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: March 30, 2018 07:41PM
I take my watch off around 8 PM and let it charge and then put it back on when I go to bed, running all night and until the next night it is still holding about a 45% charge on average. The sleep++ app runs in automatic mode a detects when I fall asleep, it actually does a fair job ( better that previous versions of the app I tried in years past). It outputs the data to my phone. I also run the cardiogram app which is much more detailed the Apple's Health app. You can enroll in several different studies which can detect heart problems and sleep apnea, but they require your watch to be in workout mode for detail and that drains the battery down very quickly. However, even in regular mode I can view the data collected by the app on my phone and see my heart rate changes at night to get a good feel for my sleep quality. Between the two I can get a fairly good snapshot of my sleep patterns.

Date: March 30, 2018 07:46PM
Sorry it wouldn't let me get both pics in the same post for some reason. The light blue lines indicate movement.

Date: March 30, 2018 08:15PM
Thanks, seems like an Apple Watch could be useful for what I want.

How long does it take to charge?

if I have it full at 10-11 PM when I go to bed, and if I leave it in work-out mode, would it still have battery by 6:30 AM when I wake up?

and from 6:30 AM until 8 AM when I leave the house, would it be enough to charge it up?

Thanks
Posted by: davemchine
Date: March 30, 2018 09:04PM
I have the original Apple Watch and like it quite a bit. It would s great for text messages, adding things to my to-do or grocery list and for controlling the podcasts I listen to through the day. I have had some issues with rapid heart rate and it allows me to monitor that as well. Overall it is a big win for me. I put it on at 6am and take it off at 9pm and I usually have charge remaining. I think it takes a little over an hour to recharge.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 31, 2018 04:26AM
The LTE is only for the Series 3 Watch with Cellular. None of the other Watches have their own cellular radio.

How long does it take to charge?

That depends on the state of charge before you charge.

Once fully charged (two-three hours tops) my AW and AW2 last a full day unless I'm doing a Walk, which is almost daily. I charge when it's down to 50-60% and it only takes 30-45min. So I find a time in the evening while watching TV or something, to charge it to 100%. Then I wear it to bed and it usually has well over 60+% when I wake up. Put it on the charger while I shower and it's back at 100%.

The Series 3 has the highest battery capacity of all the Watches and wearers say they can go a day and a half or more without charging. One of the big things about the S3 is GPS (or the option of GPS + cellular). Cellular is a $15/month subscription. (Don't know if att et.al. still waive the activation fee.

Managing your notifications goes a long way to saving battery juice. Some people disable 'Raise to Wake' at night so as to save juice. I'd like to see Apple have a 'Sleep mode' where you set a Begin/End time for disabling/enabling Raise to Wake automatically.

If you don't need cellular and sleep tracking is your deal, an AW (OG) or AWS1 should be fine. I think Sleep++, now that it has auto-on, is a good app. It also looks like it's much better than when I used it way back.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: fromish
Date: March 31, 2018 07:50AM
Take a look at SleepRate (app store). It can use the Apple Watch, any generation, to monitor sleep and puts up an excellent array of data on sleep and includes monitoring for snoring showing when and how severe the snoring is. The sleep graph is coded for wake/light/REM/deep sleep, so you can get a solid idea of sleep quality. It also monitors HRV as an index of how tired/rested you are and how hard you should exercise or push yourself. All of this is free, but you can subscribe to SleepRate for feedback and suggestions.
Date: March 31, 2018 09:08AM
fromish
Take a look at SleepRate (app store). It can use the Apple Watch, any generation, to monitor sleep and puts up an excellent array of data on sleep and includes monitoring for snoring showing when and how severe the snoring is. The sleep graph is coded for wake/light/REM/deep sleep, so you can get a solid idea of sleep quality. It also monitors HRV as an index of how tired/rested you are and how hard you should exercise or push yourself. All of this is free, but you can subscribe to SleepRate for feedback and suggestions.

excellent. Thanks
Posted by: billb
Date: March 31, 2018 09:37AM
space-time
fromish

excellent. Thanks

+1 plus the other sleep app reviews/experiences

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: michaelb
Date: March 31, 2018 10:02AM
I think the apple watch 3 extended battery life would be helpful/important if you want to track sleep. I go to bed with 70% remaining more or less, and lots of users describe something similar. So you could easily wear the watch over night and possibly for more than one day.

I also do believe you can call 911 on LTE even if you don't have a cell plan. I saw at least one person on Macrumors forums claim that they did that. But I haven't and so I don't think we can say this works 100%.

the apple watch is great for receiving texts, and if you are using iMessage it seems like the obvious best choice. I don't really "write" texts using the watch, so i either dictate the message or use a preloaded message.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 31, 2018 10:38AM
I think the apple watch 3 extended battery life would be helpful/important if you want to track sleep

It's helpful but not important, unless for some arcane reason you absolutely couldn't give the Watch a sip of juice before bed time and had to have your sleep tracked. Otherwise the capacity is a convenience.

I also do believe you can call 911 on LTE even if you don't have a cell plan.

Another anecdotal data point: somebody on reddit said they talked to Apple about it and was told that you should be able to do this. He was having trouble with his Watch doing it but apparently it just takes a long time (~5min) to get an EMS operator online.

There was a recent article about the local PD or SO getting thousands of 9-1-1 calls a month from Apple Watches. I wonder if every one of those was on a data plan.

i either dictate the message or use a preloaded message.

Likewise, though I don't have an S3 Watch yet. But that's about to change. I have to respond to some specific texts so I made a few of my own canned responses. Very convenient. One of the best purchases I've ever made, right behind the 'Phone.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 31, 2018 01:36PM
I like the Apple Watch Heart Rate app. I have it set up as a complication, and it's available at the bottom of the AW screen with up to date rate with a simple glance.

It's helpful for me to keep track of my A-Fib. My heart rate is very stable and under control with meds, but if I get an occasional bacterial infection, (probably 2 this year already) I can see how much it jacks up my heart rate.

I'll have to check out some of those sleep data apps. I didn't even know they existed.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020