advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
“I mean” is the new “you know”?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 04, 2018 08:48AM
I ‘m hearing more and more people saying “I mean” to begin, and act as a place holder/pause within their sentences; both when listening to them in person, and on TV and the radio (where speaking is extemporaneous and not from a script.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “I mean” is the new “you know”?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 04, 2018 08:58AM
Such usage indicates that the speaker has not thought their way through their words before starting to speak. Or is somehow nervous about allowing pauses in their discourse.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 04, 2018 08:59AM
....well, are you mean......??

....like......all the time......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 04, 2018 09:06AM
What I hear most is "You know what I mean?" at the end of a statement.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 04, 2018 09:09AM
Hmm. I think I've heard that before...

("KID, HAVE YOU REHABILITATED YOURSELF?")

I went over to the sergeant, said, "Sergeant, you got a lot a damn gall to
Ask me if I've rehabilitated myself, I mean, I mean, I mean that just, I'm
Sittin' here on the bench, I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench
'cause you want to know if I'm moral enough join the army, burn women,
Kids, houses and villages after bein' a litterbug. " He looked at me and
Said, "Kid, we don't like your kind, and we're gonna send your fingerprints
Off to Washington. "

And friends, somewhere in Washington enshrined in some little folder, is a
Study in black and white of my fingerprints. And the only reason I'm
Singing you this song now is cause you may know somebody in a similar
Situation, or you may be in a similar situation, and if your in a
Situation like that there's only one thing you can do and that's walk into
The shrink wherever you are, just walk in say "Shrink, You can get
Anything you want, at Alice's restaurant. ". And walk out.

Go gettem, Arlo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 09:10AM by Steve G..
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 04, 2018 09:12AM
as an ESL speaker here, I avoid both of these phrases. I speak slower that most native English speakers, so that gives me more time to think before I speak. And I am not afraid to pause while I need to think some more.
New?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 04, 2018 09:32AM
I’ve heard those two phrases like forever.

Words and phrases I tire of:

So used at the beginning of every sentence and response, as a placeholder
amitight used to garner another’s validation as though it’s a given
I’m good’ in response to ‘How are you ‘ or similar
’Are you good with that? Just plain dumbass.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 04, 2018 10:21AM
RAMd®d
I’ve heard those two phrases like forever.

Not to mention "like"... Totally! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 12:19PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 04, 2018 10:24AM
space-time
as an ESL speaker here, I avoid both of these phrases. I speak slower that most native English speakers, so that gives me more time to think before I speak. And I am not afraid to pause while I need to think some more.
Space, Douglas Adams had a great section in his book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

"It is worth repeating at this point the theories that Ford had come up with, on his first encounter with human beings, to account for their peculiar habit of continually stating and restating the very very obvious, as in "It's a nice day," or "You're very tall," or "So this is it, we're going to die."

His first theory was that if human beings didn't keep exercising their lips, their mouths probably shriveled up.

After a few months of observation he had come up with a second theory, which was this--"If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working.”
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 04, 2018 11:09AM
cbelt3
Such usage indicates that the speaker has not thought their way through their words before starting to speak. Or is somehow nervous about allowing pauses in their discourse.

[en.wikipedia.org]

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it."

This was the preferred speech pattern for my father in law. When someone would misinterpret the pause as an opportunity to jump in with a further inanity, he would continue over them (helps to have a loud voice) when ready and disabuse them of speaking out of turn. It worked out reasonably well for him.
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 04, 2018 11:24AM
So...

I'm hearing this a lot from commentators beginning a sentence.
Posted by: billb
Date: April 04, 2018 11:47AM
maybe get out more

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 04, 2018 12:15PM
RAMd®d and Wags, this (Sooooo...) has been a pet peeve of mine for a couple of years now. I'm amazed at how often I hear it, even from people who should know better. I can almost understand "Well..." being used that way, but "So"?
Posted by: rz
Date: April 04, 2018 12:38PM
wurm
RAMd®d and Wags, this (Sooooo...) has been a pet peeve of mine for a couple of years now. I'm amazed at how often I hear it, even from people who should know better. I can almost understand "Well..." being used that way, but "So"?

Ditto. I hear that from a lot of the people with whom I work. It's not so bad when they're only asked one question, but when they're being asked multiple questions, and every single response begins with, "So..." it's maddening.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 04, 2018 03:02PM
I'm guilty at times, so I cannot cast the first stone (or any stones). More often, I'll say "I guess...."
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 04, 2018 03:50PM
I think people try to find ways to avoid saying "uhm" while they think what to say, since "uhm" has been frowned upon for so long.

It's the same thing with "That's a very good question" during interviews. All those questions aren't so very good, it's just a way to give oneself a chance to frame the answer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 03:51PM by $tevie.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 04, 2018 03:59PM
(Sooooo...)

LOL, yes, an even more annoying useage. I first noticed it a few years back, in interviews of tech-types. Now I’ve seen it a few times in other interviews, as though someone said it’s a good public speaking tool, as opposed to...

Then there’s the inclusion of ‘that’ where it’s completely unnecessary. I’ve seen this in people’s writing as well as heard it in speech, most often as ‘that the’ where ‘that’ could be removed from the sentence and not change the meaning, and the notorious ‘that that’ usage.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 04, 2018 04:05PM
So many here are sounding like, "if you don't talk like me, you're an idiot."

I *try* to be open to people that do things differently. It isn't always easy, but I think it's good to try.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 04, 2018 04:07PM
Literally, it’s like, incredibly important you get woke, you know?

Date: April 04, 2018 04:24PM
hal

I *try* to be open to people that do things differently. It isn't always easy, but I think it's good to try.

You're over reacting.

Clear and concise communication is the goal. Whatever contributes to that is a positive. Whatever hinders it is a negative. That's all.

If you can articulate your thoughts more clearly and precisely than Mr. A, good for you. If Mr. A can articulate his thoughts more clearly and precisely than you, good for Mr. A.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 04, 2018 06:57PM
Many highly-educated scientists, doctors, etc., start off answers to interview questions with "So."
Posted by: Frank
Date: April 04, 2018 09:53PM
Dennis S
Many highly-educated scientists, doctors, etc., start off answers to interview questions with "So."
Drives me nuts.
Another one is "each and every". I hear it everywhere. Such a stupid phrase.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 05, 2018 02:13AM
DeusxMac
I ‘m hearing more and more people saying “I mean” to begin, and act as a place holder/pause within their sentences; both when listening to them in person, and on TV and the radio (where speaking is extemporaneous and not from a script.)

I have noticed it, too. I complained about "I mean" a few years ago and it has become much more prevalent recently. In the past, while still bothersome, I think it was more of an exclamation, like "wow" although it was still often used as a filler. Now it's become a replacement for "um" or "uh" and has no meaning.

Posted by: hal
Date: April 05, 2018 03:48PM
DeusxMac
hal

You're over reacting.

Clear and concise communication is the goal. Whatever contributes to that is a positive. Whatever hinders it is a negative. That's all.

If you can articulate your thoughts more clearly and precisely than Mr. A, good for you. If Mr. A can articulate his thoughts more clearly and precisely than you, good for Mr. A.

There isn't a single example posted above that isn't easily understood.

Loaded with redundancies - try again!

See what I mean?
Date: April 05, 2018 06:52PM
hal
DeusxMac
hal

You're over reacting.

There isn't a single example posted above that isn't easily understood.

Loaded with redundancies - try again!

See what I mean?

No; not in the context of your original declaration.

Not to sidetrack this, but...

If you're ill and only tell your doctor you "don't feel well", that's "easily understood" but conveys very little information.
If, instead, you tell the doctor an extensive, accurate description of your symptoms, the doctor will understand much more about what you want to communicate.
Posted by: bik
Date: April 06, 2018 08:49AM
DeusxMac
hal

You're over reacting.

No, I agree with hal. I was thinking the exact same thing and was glad to see him mention it.

A discussion about how "I mean" and "you know" are annoying fillers turned into a discussion of words and phrases that bother people.

This has nothing to do with clear or concise communication. It's people judging other's for their word choices.

[In my head just now, this next sentence started with you know...]

There's already a lot of intolerance in the world – or at least in the USA. Do we really need to dwell on such minor things?

####

One of my pet peeve's:

RAMd@d mentioned that he doesn't like when people answer 'How are you,' with 'I'm good."

I don't like how the pendulum has swung too far on good vs. well because of 'smart' people scolding everybody for using good inappropriately. People who maybe used to use good everywhere are now using well everywhere, whether it's correct or not.

So [yeah, I started with so...], my pet peeve is hearing people say things like 'hey, that looks well,' or 'this pizza is well!'
Posted by: wurm
Date: April 06, 2018 12:40PM
bik
[
I don't like how the pendulum has swung too far on good vs. well because of 'smart' people scolding everybody for using good inappropriately. People who maybe used to use good everywhere are now using well everywhere, whether it's correct or not.

So [yeah, I started with so...], my pet peeve is hearing people say things like 'hey, that looks well,' or 'this pizza is well!'

Beginning with "So" makes sense in your usage. You're not using it to start an answer to a question.

Maybe in your "well" cases, they were talking about a steak. "That looks well" (rather than rare or medium). As for the pizza, I'd just say "the pizza is burnt". smiling smiley

(But more likely, your pet peeve is justified.)
Posted by: bik
Date: April 06, 2018 02:20PM
wurm
bik
[

Beginning with "So" makes sense in your usage. You're not using it to start an answer to a question.

Maybe in your "well" cases, they were talking about a steak. "That looks well" (rather than rare or medium). As for the pizza, I'd just say "the pizza is burnt". smiling smiley

(But more likely, your pet peeve is justified.)

I knew I shouldn't have used a food example! winking smiley

I just heard an example of this on the radio the other day and I wish I could remember what the guy was talking about.

In any case, I'm definitely talking about people who aren't grasping the difference between the adjective and the adverb.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 06, 2018 04:40PM
I mean, it totally is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020