advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for advice - video conferecing with Grandma and Grandpa
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 19, 2018 12:22AM
The good news is that G+G are still living independently and together after 60 years. And they’re at least semi-computer literate and mentally clear.And they loooove to teleconference with the grandchildren scattered around the country. But with them both over 90, mobility issues are a problem.

Calls generally come in on their ~2011/2012 iMac, in their office room. But Grandma’s been having back problems and spends most of her time in an comfy recliner in their main room. Grandpa, who is only a little more mobile, prefers to hang out in the office room with the iMac, which takes Skype and Facetime calls.

So when grandchild A calls in, it’s to the iMac, and Grandma has to get up and (painfully) go to the other room to see. She prefers the proposed idea of her getting an iPad she can use for this purpose and join the conversation fromher easy chair.

But how? Free FaceTime doesn’t do multiple person videocalls, yet, IIRC. Skype does, I guess for free (for now?) Then there are business-oriented go-to-meetings which generally require a host. And Facetime messenger and the like, which I’m not familiar with.

At first I thought the iMac would take the calls, and screen-share with the iPad (possible?) Then both Grandma and Grandpa could see grandchild A in their usual locations on a simple two person call. But Grandma wouldn’t be able to talk to gChild A. Or do I get them Skype on both, and show the grandchildren how to call Grandma and Grandpa at the same time in Skype? Or something else?

Any suggestions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for advice - video conferecing with Grandma and Grandpa
Posted by: davester
Date: April 19, 2018 12:27AM
We do Skype to our friends and relatives overseas. Works great for multi-person calls.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 19, 2018 12:30AM
Is it possible (and easy) for the originator of the Skype to call two recipients at once? Or do you have to call one, and then add?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 19, 2018 06:44AM
Amazon Echo Spots and Echo Shows will allow you to video-chat with your friends and loved ones. The downside is that you'll need to share your contacts with the Amazon echo app.

Posted by: sekker
Date: April 19, 2018 07:50AM
Google hangouts can do multiple site connections.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: April 19, 2018 08:14AM
Another vote for Google Hangouts, I've had good experience using it.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 19, 2018 10:04AM
x3 for Google boink smiley
Posted by: michaelb
Date: April 19, 2018 12:18PM
I would use facetime. It just seems really unlikely that you would get them to both join a Skype call and that would be worth doing. Maybe once or twice, but my guess is every time you tried to get this working would be another 30 minutes of support calls and emails and frustration. Facetime will work and they can work it. Talking to each one one at a time would still be worth doing.

I do think you can project facetime onto a TV using screensharing to our appletv, since I have done that. But I don't do that enough to really weigh in on how practical that is.
Posted by: JPK
Date: April 19, 2018 02:14PM
I use skype, but it is now a Microsoft and starting to get a little microsofty. I use several times a week to video conference with my company HQ in Switzerland.

JPK
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: April 19, 2018 05:29PM
Just used Snapchat for a three person video call with my wife and Daughter. Works great!

But that UI might be a bit much for G+G...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020