advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pointy Plastic collar things
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 05, 2007 12:43AM
Where can I purchase those little pointy plastic things that make shirt collars stay pointy? Apparently womens clothing doesn't have them because my wife keeps thowing them into the washer and they disappear. I'm not complaining because I obviously am not doing the laundry, so this is a small price to pay, but I'd like to replace them.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pointy Plastic collar things
Posted by: Drew
Date: January 05, 2007 01:05AM
I think that they're called shirt collar stays.

[www.google.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 05, 2007 01:07AM
ztirffritz
Where can I purchase those little pointy plastic things that make shirt collars stay pointy? Apparently womens clothing doesn't have them because my wife keeps thowing them into the washer and they disappear. I'm not complaining because I obviously am not doing the laundry, so this is a small price to pay, but I'd like to replace them.

yep, they're collar stays, not "collars stay" as alluded to in original post...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 05, 2007 01:21AM
Brass Collar Stays: [www.vavraitaly.com]

Your wife wont lose them, especially if they are in the washer, or if they make it into the drier. She would definitely hear them. I dont know this vendor. Just using them as a reference point.

Carm
Posted by: davester
Date: January 05, 2007 02:15AM
I think those are called "things that guys in my dad's generation wore".

...though I admit that I used them during high school and some college age job interviews.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 05, 2007 02:25AM
LOL davester,

The collar stays do keep your shirt points, pointy and straight. Last time I used them though was at my sisters wedding.

Carm
Posted by: Cap'n Rusty
Date: January 05, 2007 03:00AM
I use those things all the time. I think I bought a pack of them at Marshall's or something. You don't want your collars floating around on you. Those brass ones look interesting....
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 05, 2007 04:21AM
Yeah, pointy metal objects, just want I want right next to my neck
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 05, 2007 05:46AM
I think they come in a package with sock garters.

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 05, 2007 06:20AM
The brass ones work great . . . the added weight is a good thing . . . sorta like brass balls . . .

grinning smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 05, 2007 06:41AM
And I thought he found a use for the ring that gets left on the soda bottle when you twist off the cap.
Now, how do I keep my golf shirt collars from getting wrinkled in the dryer - and don't say iron them.

Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 05, 2007 06:41AM
I am a button down kind of guy. Even in Hawaiian shirts. Cubs T-Shirts need nothing.

Da Good Life
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 05, 2007 07:17AM
mikebw
Yeah, pointy metal objects, just want I want right next to my neck

Some people tie a noose around their neck every morning!

Posted by: billb
Date: January 05, 2007 07:38AM
Any shirt that needs an iron or any sort of device to manage behaviour gets tossed.
I like low maintenance clothing.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 05, 2007 08:37AM
Go to a Men's Wearhouse. They will have the brass collar stays. Wonderful stuff. Use 'em myself. =)

Oh, by the way, they also have some good lookin' shirts and other stuff. Watch your wallet. =D (dangit, smileys not working)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2007 08:38AM by Spiff.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 05, 2007 08:57AM
I like these 'man' items. No "GAP" store clothing for me. Never set foot in one.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 05, 2007 09:22AM
Carm
Brass Collar Stays: [www.vavraitaly.com]

Your wife wont lose them, especially if they are in the washer, or if they make it into the drier. She would definitely hear them. I dont know this vendor. Just using them as a reference point.

Carm

$16 seems a bit steep for those. Maybe I can make some at work. We have lots of weird aerospace grade aluminum, or maybe some steel.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 05, 2007 10:03AM
I have to admit that at 41 years old, I had no idea that these things even existed, or that men bothered to put them in their shirt collars. I do wear button downs when I wear a dress shirt. These get stuck in the collar somehow hidden, and then you pull them out each time when you wash your shirt, and the purpose is to make the collar stick down straight?

Really unbelievable that I could not have known this. Possibly living and working in Vermont (where people, including lawyers and judges, wear boots to court) has insulated me from this important aspect of dress shirt fashion culture.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 05, 2007 10:14AM
michaelb, during the sixties and seventies some people spent a great deal of time trying to avoid being "pointy and straight". And a lot of them ended up in Vermont. LOL.

Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 05, 2007 10:41AM
michael, see, you would fail my man test. Cuff links, jock straps, urinals, etc. are all things women don't get to have.

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 05, 2007 11:08AM
I've made them out of plastic with scissors when I was in a jam.

You can also use a bent staple to attach a button on a shirt for a short time.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 05, 2007 11:18AM
I used to automatically take the collar stays out of any new dress shirts I bought and throw 'em away. Oddly, I bought a new dress shirt a couple of weeks ago, took the collar stays out, and paused to ponder whether or not I should toss them this time. They're still sitting on my desk right next to me, looking for a more permanent home...

I don't need to dress up at all for my work, but I'm trying to do it more anyway, just because. Guess I'll be doing less cable runs or crawling under people's desks when I'm wearing nice wool slacks and a blazer.

I'll have to hit the Men's Wearhouse and look into the brass collar stays. Haven't been in there for ages.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 05, 2007 12:02PM
Check with your local dry cleaner.
They usually have a display of them on or near the counter. I think the plastic ones come in bulk packs of 10-20 pairs in different sizes. A couple of bucks.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: January 05, 2007 12:58PM
I wonder if you have to take out those metal ones to get through airport security.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 05, 2007 04:06PM
MGS_forgot_password
I wonder if you have to take out those metal ones to get through airport security.

if they're "real" brass, they probably won't trigger the metal detector, though they would light up an xray type device, and they do look awfully menacing. the massive titanium bolts and rods in the back of my back go through OK, but the add'l stainless steel plate and support screw attached to the front of my lower spine occasionally beep at airports.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020