advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Watch generational let down
Posted by: Golfer
Date: May 07, 2018 06:13PM
I have a 1st generation Watch, pre-series 1. The battery had bulged and pushed the watch face off so I sent it in for repair (it was covered by AppleCare for another month and also fell in with the bulging battery recall). In the mean time I had bought my daughter a Series 1 Watch which thrilled her. One thing she did say after wearing the watch for a couple days was that she couldn't feel the haptic alerts from the watch which surprised me because I thought they were very noticeable. Well, I got my Watch back today and they just replaced it with a Series 1 watch, not a 1st gen Watch, and she is definitely right, The Series 1 Watch gives just one very quick nano-second blip that is impossible to feel unless you happen to be motionless at the time. My 1st gen gave a multiple "shake" that lasted for a full second. Do the 2nd and 3rd gen watches have a more noticeable haptic alert or the same dismal "tap"? That was one of the things I liked best about the Watch, I could be working in the compressor building at work (where ear protection is a must) and be wrenching on something and still feel my Watch alerts and give a quick glance to see if I needed to respond right away or if it could wait. Now I can barely notice them if I am sitting in a chair watching tv.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Watch generational let down
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 07, 2018 06:17PM
But your battery lasts so much longer without all that vibrating...

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 07, 2018 06:34PM
Golfer
I have a 1st generation Watch, pre-series 1. The battery had bulged and pushed the watch face off so I sent it in for repair (it was covered by AppleCare for another month and also fell in with the bulging battery recall). In the mean time I had bought my daughter a Series 1 Watch which thrilled her. One thing she did say after wearing the watch for a couple days was that she couldn't feel the haptic alerts from the watch which surprised me because I thought they were very noticeable. Well, I got my Watch back today and they just replaced it with a Series 1 watch, not a 1st gen Watch, and she is definitely right, The Series 1 Watch gives just one very quick nano-second blip that is impossible to feel unless you happen to be motionless at the time. My 1st gen gave a multiple "shake" that lasted for a full second. Do the 2nd and 3rd gen watches have a more noticeable haptic alert or the same dismal "tap"? That was one of the things I liked best about the Watch, I could be working in the compressor building at work (where ear protection is a must) and be wrenching on something and still feel my Watch alerts and give a quick glance to see if I needed to respond right away or if it could wait. Now I can barely notice them if I am sitting in a chair watching tv.

I thought it was just me! My original Apple Watch got run over by a car. Got a series 1 as the replacement and at least half the time I don't feel the tap.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: May 07, 2018 06:41PM
On your iPhone, go to My Watch/Sounds & Haptics and make sure that Haptic Strength is all the way up and Prominent Haptic is enabled.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Golfer
Date: May 07, 2018 06:42PM
CJsNvrUrly
On your iPhone, go to My Watch/Sounds & Haptics and make sure that Haptic Strength is all the way up and Prominent Haptic is enabled.

First thing I did, no improvement.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 07, 2018 06:48PM
How is Gen 3? I literally just bought one, I didn't open it yet.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 07, 2018 07:05PM
space-time

.....but is your mind open, at least....??????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 07, 2018 08:16PM
Gen-3.

Previously buzzed hard enough that I had phantom-buzzes for awhile after a lengthy alert.

But after a recent OS update, it's barely detectable. Had to enable prominent haptics and it's still a bit weak.

My guess (hope) is that it may just come back to full strength with another OS update.

Date: May 07, 2018 08:26PM
....it's the circle of life......every generation.....has a.....gap.........

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 08, 2018 12:27AM
space-time

I've had mine for about 5 weeks. It's fully updated. I have never missed a notification—there's plenty of haptic strength even though I do not have "Prominent Haptics" enabled.

Make sure the watch is snug—but not tight—on your wrist.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 12:25PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: May 08, 2018 07:47AM
.....Apple seems to be disappointing a lot lately.....users anyways but the stock is going up......

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 08, 2018 12:23PM
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2018 12:23PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 08, 2018 01:06PM
I went through several original Apple watches (took full advantage of the Apple Care).

Each one seemed to have different characteristics when it came to the haptic alerts. SOme were stronger, some weaker, some stopped altogether.

I have a Series 2 now and have not had to replace it. I noticed that it stopped vibrating when it unlocked my iMac. No idea why.

Now it has just stopped unlocking my iMac.
Date: May 08, 2018 01:10PM
.....but can it unlock......your deepest desires....???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020