advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What are they doing to this house?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 18, 2018 11:20AM
This house (farm house) is under renovation, it seems they build an outside frame. I wonder what happens next, they remove the existing walls and put new walls, this making the house larger? or just add insulation? that would make the walls very thick (good for insulation) but windows would look awkward in my opinion.

have you seen this before?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are they doing to this house?
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: May 18, 2018 11:25AM
I don't know, but would like it if you'll report back and let us know when you find out.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 18, 2018 11:26AM
YO dawg, I heard you're agoraphobic, so I put your house inside a house so you can stay inside while you stay inside!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 18, 2018 11:29AM
popcorn smiley

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 18, 2018 11:32AM
Amish scaffolding?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 18, 2018 11:34AM
Call the local building inspector for the area and find out. popcorn smiley

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: billb
Date: May 18, 2018 11:36AM
The steel support makes it look temporary although the proper window framing belies that supposition.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: MikeF
Date: May 18, 2018 11:41AM
There does not appear to be sufficient structure necessary to hold the floor joists for the second floor, so I would suspect insulation or some other reason (add wiring, plumbing, etc.). If they move the windows out to the exterior structure, you basically have bay windows for every one.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 18, 2018 11:43AM
That's the weirdest damn thing I think I've ever seen when it comes to renovations (though, admittedly, I'm no contractor).

They are apparently moving or changing some windows in the "new" outline.

I'm kind of at a loss...
I may just forward that pic to a contractor friend for his opinion.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 18, 2018 11:45AM

Please share what he thinks.
Date: May 18, 2018 11:48AM
Hidden asbestos siding underneath?
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 18, 2018 11:52AM
Easiest way to run new cat-5 cabling without fishing wires? smiling smiley
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 18, 2018 12:02PM
Adding insulation.

Even though it looks like they tried to update the exterior look with vinyl siding, there'd be bupkis for insulation on an old farmhouse.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 18, 2018 12:07PM
billb
The steel support makes it look temporary although the proper window framing belies that supposition.

Using steel is very odd and expensive for so small a structure.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 18, 2018 12:09PM
Paul F.
That's the weirdest damn thing I think I've ever seen when it comes to renovations (though, admittedly, I'm no contractor).

I'm kind of at a loss...

I can't think of anything they'd be doing in that pic that couldn't be more easily done by just building another house with a similar appearance. If that house has some historical significance, then basically building another house around it is not the way to restore or preserve it. One thing I notice is that the outer shell has no foundation, just steel poles run into the ground, so that makes me think the outer shell is temporary… but why?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Date: May 18, 2018 12:09PM
I would THINK it would be a lot cheaper to strip off the siding, and the exterior sheathing, insulate from the outside, then put on a moisture barrier, new sheathing with a layer of insulation, then new siding... than to build a new house around your house, with the windows not lining up!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 18, 2018 12:14PM
billb

I was thinking the same- why go to the trouble of framing out windows if not to actually follow through with that... But the ridge pole doesn't appear to extend along the length of the roof, so what the heck/??

EDIT: Seems to me that they probably intend to build the outside of a new house around the old one, and then disassemble the wall and roof in sections. I can't think of why you ever actually want to do that, but the way things are going in the photo that seems totally possible to accomplish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 12:18PM by mikebw.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 18, 2018 12:14PM
Thrift Store Scott
Paul F.

I'm kind of at a loss...

I can't think of anything they'd be doing in that pic that couldn't be more easily done by just building another house with a similar appearance. If that house has some historical significance, then basically building another house around it is not the way to restore or preserve it. One thing I notice is that the outer shell has no foundation, just steel poles run into the ground, so that makes me think the outer shell is temporary… but why?

I imagine they have footings under each piece of steel at a minimum. But very odd that they didn't build up all around from the footings. Why the gap between the footings and the main structure?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: May 18, 2018 12:20PM
mikebw
billb

I was thinking the same- why go to the trouble of framing out windows if not to actually follow through with that... But the ridge pole doesn't appear to extend along the length of the roof, so what the heck/??

I noticed the breaks in the ridge pole as well. Those are where the steel supports cross over the top of the house if you follow them up from the front. Weirder and weirder.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 18, 2018 12:22PM
Great thread!
Posted by: Bo
Date: May 18, 2018 12:32PM
Russian nesting houses
Posted by: TLB
Date: May 18, 2018 12:38PM
It is called template framing. The house is too far gone to repair so they are framing a replica. They often do this with old hand built stick frame houses rather than trying to create drawings. The breaks in the ridge will allow the template to "collapse" and fit on the existing foundation once the original structure is demolished. You'll notice similar shrink points in the side wall area.

Hope you know I made this @#$%& up...
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 18, 2018 12:54PM
Sometimes new construction triggers regulations, permits or fees that renovations or additions will not. Maybe there's a deed restriction on new construction on the property that this project is trying to circumvent.

I watched a house near here go from a 1960's sidesplit style split-level home to a full-on two-story 5-bedroom McMansion with an entirely new facade. The old house is in there somewhere, but you can't see it from the front. Seems to me if you had the money to do what they did, you'd have the money to tear down and start over, but there it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 12:55PM by Acer.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 18, 2018 01:34PM
Russian nesting houses

FTW!! ROFL!

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 18, 2018 01:35PM
In some rural areas of Washington, there is no building permit required for additions to mobile homes. As a result, people put a mobile home on a lot, then build a home around it, then demolish the mobile home from the inside out.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: May 18, 2018 02:00PM
ztirffritz
In some rural areas of Washington, there is no building permit required for additions to mobile homes. As a result, people put a mobile home on a lot, then build a home around it, then demolish the mobile home from the inside out.

This is an old farm that has been around for a long time.
Date: May 18, 2018 02:18PM
space-time
ztirffritz

This is an old farm that has been around for a long time.

If you find out what they're doing, you HAVE to come back and tell us! Please! :-)

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 18, 2018 02:33PM
Maybe moving the home? Jack it up, build a frame under it, build a frame around it, then roll it on wheels or rails to a new location?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 18, 2018 03:13PM
I'll add my wild guesses.

1) As mentioned, making it a remodel instead of new construction for permit/tax purposes.

2) It's a packing crate, they're going to secure the old house to it and pick it up and move it.

3) It's going to be used for a movie set, and they'll tear it down and leave the old house as it was when they're finished. That's why they didn't remove the shutters on the windows.

4) The old house has entered the witness protection program and they're going to make it disappear (this is NJ, right?)
Date: May 18, 2018 03:21PM
ztirffritz
Maybe moving the home? Jack it up, build a frame under it, build a frame around it, then roll it on wheels or rails to a new location?

would they tray to make windows frame in that case? I doubt it.

Also the house appears empty on the inside. I can take a better look when I drive home tonight. This seems like a complete gutting and re-do inside (and outside).

I wanted to post this for weeks (months?) but never stopped to take a picture until today.

Sure I will post a follow up once they make progress.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 18, 2018 03:34PM
I'd also bet that it is to avoid demo and rebuild. But I'd like to see the building code for that and talk to the inspector who signed off on it... :-)

The most common type of that little trick in these parts is to leave up one wall of a house and rebuild the whole house (like 98% of it) and call it a reno. Happens all the time.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: May 18, 2018 04:10PM
CJsNvrUrly
I don't know, but would like it if you'll report back and let us know when you find out.

agree smiley

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: May 18, 2018 05:08PM
street view

[binged.it]

[www.google.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 18, 2018 05:40PM
Acer
Sometimes new construction triggers regulations, permits or fees that renovations or additions will not. Maybe there's a deed restriction on new construction on the property that this project is trying to circumvent.

I watched a house near here go from a 1960's sidesplit style split-level home to a full-on two-story 5-bedroom McMansion with an entirely new facade. The old house is in there somewhere, but you can't see it from the front. Seems to me if you had the money to do what they did, you'd have the money to tear down and start over, but there it is.

By adding on and demoing the inside, you can get around some permit and building code issues. It is also a method to get a new home on a lot that you couldn't otherwise build a new home.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 18, 2018 05:53PM
macphanatic
Acer

By adding on and demoing the inside, you can get around some permit and building code issues. It is also a method to get a new home on a lot that you couldn't otherwise build a new home.

Yeah, there is that as an aspect as well. For instance, if I wanted to demolish my house and build another design on my property, I would have to spend serious money on an excavation to locate it where it would meet current zoning requirements. The house is too close to the property line, and was built that way 110 years ago because of the slope on the property. But if I was doing a rebuild after a fire, as long as I built on the existing foundation it would be allowed.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 18, 2018 06:25PM
Acer

I was thinking along those lines. The houseboats on Lake Union here in Seattle are VERY limited by building permits. The "When Harry Met Sally" houseboat is one example. It's real, btw. Originally there were 650 permits. Down to under 500. One burns down or sinks, that permit goes away. I have seen them stripped down to the floating base and a shored up wall. The 3 other walls and roof get replaced. That qualifies as a remodel, not new construction. Maybe a few years later, wall 4 gets done. I have seen this numerous times.

A neighbor did a "remodel" and the demo team was supposed to leave a wall intact. They took the whole house down by mistake. Lot sits bare while he fights with the county on a permit for new construction, and the lawsuit with the demo guys.
Date: May 18, 2018 06:33PM
space-time
street view

[binged.it]

[www.google.com]

Dang. They killed all those old growth trees and added a dinky little sapling. Now they got a great view of trucks on the main road and powerlines. Nice going. thumbs up
Date: May 18, 2018 07:36PM
TLB
It is called template framing. The house is too far gone to repair so they are framing a replica. They often do this with old hand built stick frame houses rather than trying to create drawings. The breaks in the ridge will allow the template to "collapse" and fit on the existing foundation once the original structure is demolished. You'll notice similar shrink points in the side wall area.
Hope you know I made this @#$%& up...

That is an interesting theory. I will take a closer look one day, maybe even stop and take more pictures. I can't recall how long it's been under construction, I think it started more than a few months ago.
Date: May 18, 2018 07:48PM
Well, my contractor friend also thinks that it's going to get rebuilt from the inside... once it's enclosed, they can do whatever they want to the inside. Probably a weird permitting thing, as already speculated.

Still, Space-Time, if you ever follow up, now there's one more person that wants to know! LOL.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: billb
Date: May 18, 2018 08:14PM
Almost looks like it is going to be a warehouse that retains the historical 'look' of the old farmhouse.
Really weird lack of a foundation though although a foundation could go in afterwards. That's how the house I grew up in was built. House first, cellar after. The basement was never fully finished. It was an 'L' shaped house with a rectangle foundation with the 'L' being just a crawl space.

If this is a farm store and it is open 5 days a week one could just drive in and ask WTF.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 18, 2018 09:23PM
3d
space-time
street view

[binged.it]

[www.google.com]

Dang. They killed all those old growth trees and added a dinky little sapling. Now they got a great view of trucks on the main road and powerlines. Nice going. thumbs up

I can't tell you how many times I've seen that, too. Developers are some of the dumbest people you will know, because they can't see the forest for the trees, pun intended. I worked on these sorts of subdivisions years ago and they would always take trees down and throw in a sapling. And then the house and lawn would bake in the sun, causing the new owners to crank up the a.c. Bottom line, they don't care, and don't even realize they're taking money off the bottom line, add most buyers like mature plantings, and pay a premium for it.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 19, 2018 12:18AM
nicethread

I think TLB has it. The original structure's foundation also appears to have failed. Use of steel could be a clue this is not just a 'remodeling' job.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 19, 2018 10:07AM
The bad foundation conjecture makes sense. Looks like they pile-drove the I-beams into the ground. Probably keeping the old foundation as walls to hold the dirt back, but not to support the new house. Though without the weight of a house on top, wouldn't those walls will be more likely to move?

S-T, do houses have full basement in your area, or just crawl spaces?
Date: May 19, 2018 10:31AM
Acer

S-T, do houses have full basement in your area, or just crawl spaces?

Most houses in this area have basements (and many have sump pumps). My house has no basement, it is a townhouse built onto a concrete slab. I also saw houses with crawl space.

I can't make a guess about this house, could be either full basement or crawl space.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 19, 2018 12:13PM
I'm guessing they want to insulate it AND stabilize it. Better from the outside than the inside.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 19, 2018 02:57PM
Exoskeleton.

The steel gave it away. The wood is an attempt to hide the fact that it's a damaged Transformer and can't be moved for repair.

It's a repair-upgrade in place. They thought it was worth the risk of discovery because it was rural.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 19, 2018 03:59PM
More strangeness...

Notice how the original front windows are misaligned. The original first floor windows to the left of the door are not level with the original front windows to the right of the door. Same goes for the second floor windows. BUT they built the wood frame with level windows. It looks like they are also closing up the central window above the door.

The contractors are not keeping any of the architectural integrity of the original house. It's a basic 2 story rectangular building with 4 simple walls and a gable roof.

Why are they bothering? My shenanigans detector is beeping.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 19, 2018 05:52PM
ztirffritz

That might explain some of the odd stuff I have seen in the "East Side"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020