advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sealing between driveway and house?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 09, 2018 07:24PM
What would you use to seal the gap between an asphalt driveway and concrete block house wall? My driveway is poured right up against the house and there is a small gap that I would like to seal up, less than 1/8", so that water does run there in the winter.

Also is there a good product to use to paint and seal the concrete block walls between the ground and where the siding sits? I don't like the plain block look and we had a door step removed which left an unattractive repair.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 07:29PM by C(-)ris.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sealing between driveway and house?
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 09, 2018 08:16PM
I'd say concrete crack repair, the kind in a caulk tube. It's very rubbery, helps keep up with movement over the seasons.

To seal and paint the unpainted block a product like Drylock has worked for me. That's one brand, available at big box home stores, though commercial guys might have another brand to recommend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 08:17PM by Acer.
Date: June 09, 2018 08:19PM
Acer
I'd say concrete crack repair, the kind in a caulk tube. It's very rubbery, helps keep up with movement over the seasons.

To seal and paint the unpainted block a product like Drylock has worked for me. That's one brand, available at big box home stores, though commercial guys might have another brand to recommend.

I've used Drylock inside, wasn't sure if it was appropriate for outside or not.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Frank
Date: June 09, 2018 10:06PM
polyurethane caulk for the crack. Sika Flex is good [www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: June 09, 2018 10:11PM
You want a flexible filler for the gap.

Similar to: [www.homedepot.com]

as the two surfaces likely move a little bit differenly with temperature changes.

That's what I used ( whatever HD was selling at the time) between my sidewalk and steps as I was tired of fighting weeds and grass. Worked for three years anyway.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: June 09, 2018 10:21PM
billb
You want a flexible filler for the gap.

Similar to: [www.homedepot.com]

as the two surfaces likely move a little bit differenly with temperature changes.

That's what I used ( whatever HD was selling at the time) between my sidewalk and steps as I was tired of fighting weeds and grass. Worked for three years anyway.

Sounds like that is the way to go. I'll likely use it on my garage which has issues with water coming under the blocks they stacked onto the slab without sealing the bottoms with anything.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: June 09, 2018 11:14PM
pourable grade Tremco Vulkem

You can use the caulk version too but for bigger joints I mask the edge of the joint and use the pourable..This is not available at the box stores..you might find it at Masonry Supply houses in your area..good stuff.

Tremco products..
Posted by: bruceko
Date: June 11, 2018 11:32AM
Like mentioned before a good Polyurethane
The only problem is the 1/8". If there is any expansion/contraction from the Asphalt
the caulk doesn't have the width to handle the movement. Sikaflex 1a allows movement +or- 35% not much on a 1/8" joint . the caulk wil eventually loose its bond on 1 side of the joint.
If you do seal it try it on a cool day when the asphalt has contracted away from the wall to allow for a wider joint
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 12, 2018 09:05AM
What about the elastomeric compounds they use around pools? Should be a good amount of stretch in those.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020