advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sunset over the Pearl River...
Posted by: max
Date: June 10, 2018 03:45AM
China, Guandong Province, sunset over the Pearl River....

Tianjin business hotel ...

it is more or less like a Holiday Inn Express, aimed at Chinese middle management. They do not take Western credit cards, although theoretically somebody on the front desk is supposed to speak English, it ain gonna happen. This is usually an upper end of my accommodations when I am paying.
The girl on the left is a trainee, the one in the middle is the boss..

Typical local touches...

Guandong fishing village...

village mangos,
you can see the fruits in a close up...

Tong Li village, Jiangsu Province, side street...

It has been a kong day...

Crab traps....

The fleet...

The village....

We came into Guangzhou in the morning on the first train out Fujian. After a four hour ride we got picked up by a friend of a friend and headed out to inspect a potential supplier. Four hours later we were heading here, outside Guangzhou, a fishing village, a dissapearing way of life, a place that in a five or ten years will be gone and forgotten.
We are driving further and further out, branching from major roads into more local and more local branches.

A typical village road, just bareky wide enough for one car to travel.....

The place is well known to the locals for a local joint with the view of the Pearl River and its excellent bounty....

It is not exactly a Michelin establishment....

but the views are as advertised....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sunset over the Pearl River...
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: June 10, 2018 06:52AM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the pictures and descriptions. I really like these travelogues!

=TC
Posted by: DP
Date: June 10, 2018 07:56AM
The Pearl River figures greatly in history when dealing with the British and their legacy in China. Thx again for the images. I'm jealous as always...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 10, 2018 08:18AM
That sunset shot is fantastico.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 10, 2018 09:22AM
VERY interesting! Thanks.

Really glad that at my age I don't have to learn any of the 200+ languages spoken in China! Is there a common "version" that ties the country together?
Date: June 10, 2018 10:00AM
Don C
Is there a common "version" that ties the country together?

Yes, Mandarin.
But you are right about diversity, our plant is about 120 miles outside Shanghai and when the locals switch into their dialect, my partner is totally lost...
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: June 10, 2018 10:57AM
Ansel Adams would be proud of these photos max. It appears you have quite the following here in the forum so please keep posting these amazing pictures.

D & C
Date: June 10, 2018 11:16AM
Thank you...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 10, 2018 03:01PM
Yep, nice travelogue!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 10, 2018 07:15PM
Loving your photos!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 11, 2018 05:11AM
What camera do you use? The sunset shot is gorgeous.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: June 11, 2018 07:44AM
Nice series; you definitely caught the atmosphere and ambience of the locations. Like others, I wish I could join you.

Thanks for sharing.

Lol, your hotel shot reminds me of a faculty tour of the Pearl River delta I took last decade.

We were going through Chinese customs from Hong Kong to China. A member of the tour pulled out a camera and started snapping, so--even though I knew better--I followed her lead. It was only a few seconds before angry security guards approached us. Even without English skills, they were very clear in communicating their displeasure at our faux pas.

Fortunately, no one was detained, and we continued our tour without further incident. banghead smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 07:50AM by Billybob.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 11, 2018 10:13AM
Great shots, thanks for sharing them with us.

Grateful11
Date: June 11, 2018 10:14AM
Sam3
What camera do you use? The sunset shot is gorgeous.
I carry two cameras, most of the time it is a pocket P&S Canon, people are less conscious when you dont look like a photographer.
In this case, because of the sunset, I pulled out my "tourist" D600.
I am not a pro, nor do I aspire to be one, but I am quite aware that is not a camera that makes the shots, people do and I am quite lucky to be with the people and in situations that make things interesting.
Yes, there are some minimum requirements that are helpful when your camera can handle difficult lighting conditions that are usually present in the most interesting situations....
Date: June 11, 2018 10:26AM
Billybob
Lol, your hotel shot reminds me of a faculty tour of the Pearl River delta I took last decade.

We were going through Chinese customs from Hong Kong to China. A member of the tour pulled out a camera and started snapping, so--even though I knew better--I followed her lead. It was only a few seconds before angry security guards approached us. Even without English skills, they were very clear in communicating their displeasure at our faux pas.

Fortunately, no one was detained, and we continued our tour without further incident. banghead smiley

Same goes for US customs, where even phones are forbidden.

Unless we are in a tense political situation, being "dumb American tourist" lets you get away with quite a lot. For you to be detained somebody high up needs to want you being detained. Otherwise, you can call the guy to his face an mf and all you get is a big public argument. I am sure there is a line somewhere, but from my experience, it is pretty far out there. OTOH when US is in an ongoing major dispute with China and you are holding a US passport, you better keep your nose indoors or having somebody running interference. it usually blows over in a week or two...
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 11, 2018 04:04PM
billb
That sunset shot is fantastico.

Indeed, very crepuscular!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020