advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Relatively Cheap 3.5 Drive enclosures?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 14, 2018 10:31AM
I've got a few bare 3.5 drives I'm looking to put in enclosures. They're only 1TB drives, so Cadillac Level drives aren't really what I'm looking at getting -- something in the $20 to $30 range.

Anyone using any they particularly like? Right now, the contender is this one from Inateck. In the distant past I used their 2.5 enclosures and never had issues.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Relatively Cheap 3.5 Drive enclosures?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 14, 2018 10:52AM
Probably OK. Or used OWC cases on ebay, which sometimes go very cheap.
Date: June 14, 2018 10:55AM
ka jowct
Probably OK. Or used OWC cases on ebay, which sometimes go very cheap.

I've been trolling for a bit and am only seeing the USB2/FW400 cases these days.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 14, 2018 11:04AM
The pickings on ebay can be pretty slim. I think I have one of those Inatek cases, just haven’t needed it, so I can’t comment on its reliability.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 14, 2018 11:20AM
Do they each need individual cases? What about a USB drive dock? Single or double bay for $20-40ish.

Does OWC ever have cases (Seagate/WD) from 3.5" drive pulls in their garage sales? I know I've seen some 2.5" cases in the past. When they do, they're cheap, as in a couple/few dollars.
Date: June 14, 2018 11:40AM
Gareth
Do they each need individual cases? What about a USB drive dock? Single or double bay for $20-40ish.

I have a drive dock; been using it to erase & prep the drives -- but they're going to other users (or maybe being sold) so I need enclosures.

Gareth
Does OWC ever have cases (Seagate/WD) from 3.5" drive pulls in their garage sales? I know I've seen some 2.5" cases in the past. When they do, they're cheap, as in a couple/few dollars.

They sell a great bargain 2.5 case -- the OWC Express -- just picked up a couple of those for less than $10 (ea) via the Garage Sale recently.

They don't sell a bargain 3.5 enclosure, and even 0TB enclosures via the Garage Sale are typically $50 to $80 for the single-bay ones. They're worth the money, IMO, but not in this application.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 11:40AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 14, 2018 12:04PM
meh... when a brand new 1 TB portable drives are under $50 and 2 TB only $15-20 more... not sure I would want to drop $30 into a giant used 3.5" drive that needs a fan and power cable.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 14, 2018 12:17PM
I have a few OWC enclosures that I'm getting rid of, as the don't support larger drive sizes. PM if interested.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 14, 2018 01:07PM
Firewire? For an item like this, the Amazon search function is essentially useless. Once you find an item actually in the category, the competitive links get slightly more helpful.

As jdc mentioned, a fan would be helpful for long term reliability. This is lacking from most items in the sub-$20 category. Orico 3.5 inch external case (edit: not including tax/shipping):
$17 [www.newegg.com]
$20 [www.amazon.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 01:17PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Date: June 14, 2018 01:22PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Firewire? For an item like this, the Amazon search function is essentially useless. Once you find an item actually in the category, the competitive links get slightly more helpful.

As jdc mentioned, a fan would be helpful for long term reliability. This is lacking from most items in the sub-$20 category. Orico 3.5 inch external case (edit: not including tax/shipping):
$17 [www.newegg.com]
$20 [www.amazon.com]

I looked at the Orico cases; have that one reminder-list'd @ Amazon. I don't like the "screwless case" style, though. I guess the screws (for the drive itself and for the enclosure) are worth the extra $7ish bucks with the Inateck.

Yeah; no desire for Firewire, FWIW. Only USB3.

Although maybe I should just toss the drive out the window, eh, and save myself the headache.

Posted by: clay
Date: June 14, 2018 01:59PM
or just sell the drive bare?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 14, 2018 02:04PM
clay

That's what I would do. A bare 3.5" drive fits snuggly in a USPS small flat rate box with minimal padding. Give the buyer the option of better packaging for more money and/or just eat any damaged ones (the "Amazon" model). Although when I was clearing out PATA drives, I shipped them all in the small flat rate boxes and didn't have any issues.
Date: June 14, 2018 02:40PM
Gareth
clay

That's what I would do. A bare 3.5" drive fits snuggly in a USPS small flat rate box with minimal padding. Give the buyer the option of better packaging for more money and/or just eat any damaged ones (the "Amazon" model). Although when I was clearing out PATA drives, I shipped them all in the small flat rate boxes and didn't have any issues.

I did that once before (same drive size); I tried to sell it here for about $15 and there were no takers so I put it on eBay -- and it was the first time an eBay case was opened against me (the guy who bought it didn't know how to reformat a drive). eBay ruled in my favor.

So it's kind of I make it useful to someone or it goes in a concrete bucket. I also have enough friends & family who still have zero backup plan going on their computers that someone could make use of it. And all things said, I like putting these things together and putting them through their paces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2018 02:42PM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 14, 2018 03:33PM
Yeah, they just arent worth anything. Used drive, with unknown history, and I need to buy a $20 case, and 2 more cables behind my computer, plus another big wall wart... ugh.

Been there, done that

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020