advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I assume DEET is acknowledged not safe for kids. Is there a mosquito spray that is save and effective?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 16, 2018 12:04PM
?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I assume DEET is acknowledged not safe for kids. Is there a mosquito spray that is save and effective?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 16, 2018 12:29PM
This what the EPA says:

Safety Review of DEET

1998 Review

After completing a comprehensive re-assessment of DEET, we concluded that insect repellents containing DEET do not present a health concern. Consumers are advised to read and follow label directions when using any pesticide product, including insect repellents. Based on extensive toxicity testing, we believe that the normal use of DEET does not present a health concern to the general population, including children. We completed this review and issued a reregistration decision (called a RED) in 1998. (More about REDs)

2014 Review

In 2014, we completed an interim review of DEET under the Registration Review Program to ensure that it continues to meet safety standards based on current scientific knowledge. The Agency has not identified any risks of concern to human health, non-target species or the environment. View this interim registration review decision (www.regulations.gov, docket number EPA-HQ-OPP-2012-0162).

We continue to believe that the normal use of DEET does not present a health concern to the general population, including children. As always, consumers are advised to read and follow label directions in using any pesticide product, including insect repellents. Currently registered uses of DEET are also not expected to result in adverse effects for listed and non-listed endangered species, or critical habitat. As such, EPA concludes “no effect” for listed species and no adverse modification of designated critical habitat for all currently registered uses of DEET.

EPA issued an Interim Decision for DEET in September 2014. We concluded that:

no additional data are required at this time; and
no changes to the affected registrations or their labeling are needed at this time.

The human health risk assessment concluded that there are no risks of concern because no toxic effects have been identified when used as a dermally applied insect repellent, and there is no dietary or occupational exposure for DEET. However, a Final Decision on the DEET registration review case will occur only after the EPA has completed an Endocrine Disruptor Screening under FFDCA section 408(p). Under the Endocrine Disruptor Screening Program, EPA has prioritized chemicals for screening and DEET is lower on the priority list than chemicals currently being tested.

[www.epa.gov]
Re: I assume DEET is acknowledged not safe for kids. Is there a mosquito spray that is save and effective?
Posted by: billb
Date: June 16, 2018 12:32PM
Why assume in the day of internet access and a free wealth of knowl dge

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 16, 2018 12:33PM
I also use Permethrin based repellents, but only on clothing.

I don't want no stinking Lyme disease...
Posted by: hal
Date: June 16, 2018 03:08PM
I use to use 100% deet, but I just can't take it anymore. It's the most disgusting stuff to put on your skin. I still carry a tiny 5ml container in case I get stuff in really bad bug country - the stuff works. Nothing works as well.

BUT in my quest to replace 100% deet I tried many applications and recently found one that I like. It works well, doesn't smell horrible or pungent.

Cutters 'skinsations' insect repellent.

It's 7% DEET, but it doesn't feel like DEET at all and it seems to work just as well, but for only 75% as long. Smells like baby powder.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 16, 2018 03:24PM
hal
I use to use 100% deet, but I just can't take it anymore. It's the most disgusting stuff to put on your skin. I still carry a tiny 5ml container in case I get stuff in really bad bug country - the stuff works. Nothing works as well.

BUT in my quest to replace 100% deet I tried many applications and recently found one that I like. It works well, doesn't smell horrible or pungent.

Cutters 'skinsations' insect repellent.

It's 7% DEET, but it doesn't feel like DEET at all and it seems to work just as well, but for only 75% as long. Smells like baby powder.

I would expect using pure 100% DEET to be nasty compared to anything else where it is only a portion of the total ingredients. I use the same Cutter Skinsations repellent but only because I have had a hard time finding the Off! FamilyCare version "from Skintastic" with the "tropical fresh light scent". Same 7% DEET.

Deep Woods Off! is 25% DEET.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: June 16, 2018 03:26PM
Sawyer Picaridin is consistently rated as a top performer by Consumer Reports.

[www.amazon.com]

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Frank
Date: June 16, 2018 07:35PM
pRICE cUBE
Sawyer Picaridin is consistently rated as a top performer by Consumer Reports.

[www.amazon.com]
This. Works great and is safer for skin and for plastics, paint, etc that you might come in contact with. For some reason its not as available. I ordered some from Amazon but they wouldn't ship it to Kauai. ???
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020