advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Moving sprinkler controller box from outdoors to indoors - how difficult?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: June 24, 2018 01:07PM
Hi,

Our controller box is outdoors, away from the house (not even outdoors on a wall) and I'd like to have it moved indoors, probably to the garage.

How difficult would this be to do? I won't be doing it - either our handyman or someone else. But, I wanted to check and see what all is involved in getting this done. I understand that all the sprinkler wires come up from the ground and end at the location that the box is currently installed, so what would be required to transfer this setup to a different, indoors location?

Thanks.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Moving sprinkler controller box from outdoors to indoors - how difficult?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 24, 2018 01:54PM
If the actual control valves and water plumbing come into it you are not going to want to move it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: June 24, 2018 02:00PM
As far as I can see, only wires are coming up into the controller box. I believe the valves are spread throughout the front and backyards, usually grouped into 3s (there are 11 zones).

I'm wondering what would be involved in moving the wires to terminate in the garage rather than outside, I guess.
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 24, 2018 02:12PM
Depends how far it is from where it is, to where you want it. It’s basically running wire to the new location from the old location and mounting the control. Splicing the wires in a junction box at the old location and running the new lines to the garage. I had to redo mine because the wires were too short and I wanted to move the control box.

Since the valves are in different locations I would add a junction box and not run new lines from each valve, unless you have the money to do it.
Date: June 24, 2018 02:29PM
Since sprinkler wire is usually low voltage it can just be buried under ground. So what’s involved? After installing a junction box, the wires need connecting and also need to be buried under ground. A channel/mini ditch for the wire will need to be dug from current location to garage. A hole drilled into your wall to get the wires into the garage. The wires need to be reconnected to controller.
Date: June 24, 2018 03:59PM
Carm

Thanks! That's kinda what I was thinking but always good to have someone on the forum to chime in.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 24, 2018 04:48PM
If it's just the controller to be moved - longer wires. Either splice what you have ( which is usually a recipe for issues down the road ) or new wires.
I would run low voltage wires thru a conduit or some kind of protection coming into the building where they might get stabbed by a shovel or subject to abrasion from a lawn mower or weed whacker, etc..

I never liked controllers outside, neither in the ground box or a box on a pole.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 24, 2018 06:31PM
I'm with billb, use conduit - buried six inches or so.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 24, 2018 07:46PM
I just saw this:

[www.youtube.com]

Elgato Eve Aqua HomeKit Smart Water Controller

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Frank
Date: June 24, 2018 09:06PM
Soldering the splices would be a good idea.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: June 24, 2018 09:29PM
Would it work to get a Wi-Fi enabled controller, and leave it where it is? You could control it from a smart phone from anywhere.
I have a Rachio and it is wonderful.
Date: June 24, 2018 09:39PM
Soldering is recommended and you would have to ask your handyman to do that along with heat shrink tubing. The soldering will make clean connections and limit a boatload of electrical tape/wire splicers/wire nuts.

As for wire damage, I’ve cut one line of low voltage outdoor lighting when reinstalling edging. Easy fix. As a precaution you can have it installed in conduit since it has multiple lines for the 11 zones. Shouldn’t add much cost to the total bill. The soldering probably will.
Date: June 24, 2018 09:47PM
Ken Sp.
Would it work to get a Wi-Fi enabled controller, and leave it where it is? You could control it from a smart phone from anywhere.
I have a Rachio and it is wonderful.

Yes, I would like to do that, but with the controller being outside, the house wifi is barely within reach. Another reason to try and move the controller box into the garage - wifi reaches the garage pretty well.
Date: June 24, 2018 09:47PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll pass the info on to our handyman, esp. regarding the soldering.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020