The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple invents … the Launch Line
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 28, 2018 01:46PM
Poll
Were you in the launch line?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
18 votes were received.
Yes - at at Apple Store 1

6%
Yes - at an AT&T Store 1

6%
No 16

88%
What's an iPhone? 0

0%

[www.cultofmac.com]

Were you in the launch line 11 years ago?

We were in two launch lines. The AT&T Store (closest to home) only had a few 4GB phones left by the time we made it to the front of the line.

And they did. Almost no line at the Apple Store by that time - and people were camped out there for days ahead of time.

4GB. LOL
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple invents … the Launch Line
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 28, 2018 01:52PM
Verizon Wireless customer here.
Had to wait 4 agonizing years for AT&T's iPhone exclusivity to expire.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 28, 2018 02:29PM
I've only ever stood in line for long periods to buy concert tickets. Queen, and then the Rolling Stones.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 28, 2018 02:31PM
3d

I was VERY happy that Steve Jobs handled it the way he did. Steve had first gone to Verizon and I understand that they basically laughed him out of the building. Verizon got what they richly deserved. I wish that someone in power had the balls to take the entire telecommunications juggernaut to the woodshed. old fogey smiley
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 28, 2018 02:53PM
testcase
3d

I was VERY happy that Steve Jobs handled it the way he did. Steve had first gone to Verizon and I understand that they basically laughed him out of the building. Verizon got what they richly deserved. I wish that someone in power had the balls to take the entire telecommunications juggernaut to the woodshed. old fogey smiley

Well, I wasn't aware of the politics and vendettas behind the decision, but I did have the immense pleasure (not really) of owning a Motorola Droid while waiting for the iPhone to come to VZW. thumbs down

Posted by: Cary
Date: June 28, 2018 02:58PM
testcase
3d

I have no love for Verizon or AT&T (ex-employee of both), but you should look at the situation such as it was back then - VZ was king of the hill, with the (by far) best network. Apple came in demanding significant rev share, for a then unknown product.

AT&T, then an underdog, took a flyer. They basically stepped into @#$%&, and it helped them catch VZ.

In retrospect, sure, VZ made a big mistake. I don't think, however, many others would have agreed to cede so much revenue and control to a company (Apple) with an unknown product at that time.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: June 28, 2018 03:54PM
I switched from Verizon to AT&T 11 years ago for the iPhone. Walked into the Palo Alto store after dinner and got one with no line.

Switched back to Verizon after the iPhone 4S launch. Now happily on T-Mo...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020