advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
One Reason Why 'Jurassic Park' would never be allowed?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 30, 2018 06:02PM
just a thought...
Five to Sixty (plus) Ton critters generate a lot of "greenhouse gasses";
along with a myriad of biologically dangerous waste.
dunno smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One Reason Why 'Jurassic Park' would never be allowed?
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: June 30, 2018 06:13PM
I'm sorry, are we talking about the Kardashians?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 30, 2018 06:22PM
There was supposedly a lot more oxygen back then in the Jurassic and Cretaceous. If they could live long enough to grow big, they'd be practically comatose by that point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 06:23PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 30, 2018 07:13PM
Insects got really huge when there was more oxygen in the atmosphere. 3-foot centipedes would probably startle me a bit.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 30, 2018 10:03PM
No, it's all the poop.
Posted by: max
Date: June 30, 2018 10:49PM
Sarcany
If they could live long enough to grow big, they'd be practically comatose by that point.

Are we still discussing Kardashians?....
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: June 30, 2018 10:51PM
max
Are we still discussing Kardashians?....

thumbs up
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: July 01, 2018 02:37AM
MrNoBody
just a thought...
Five to Sixty (plus) Ton critters generate a lot of "greenhouse gasses";
along with a myriad of biologically dangerous waste.
dunno smiley

Which is why Jurassic Park was located on a private island leased from a South American country where such trivialities are of no concern.

Sarcany
There was supposedly a lot more oxygen back then in the Jurassic and Cretaceous. If they could live long enough to grow big, they'd be practically comatose by that point.

Yep, the dinosaurs would probably have to be fitted with oxygen tanks.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 01, 2018 07:42AM
I mean, besides the giant monsters that inevitably wind up eating lots of people...?
Posted by: gabester
Date: July 01, 2018 08:18AM
Sarcany

I think it harkens back even more to the Paleozoic, at one point there was so much oxygen in the atmosphere it lead to global wildfires due to lightning strikes.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: July 01, 2018 08:44AM
ka jowct
Insects got really huge when there was more oxygen in the atmosphere. 3-foot centipedes would probably startle me a bit.

Sorry to say we still have them, or close enough. They eat birds and rodents.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 01, 2018 03:43PM
Sarcany

You are thinking of an earlier geological epoch, the high levels of atmospheric oxygen date to the Carboniferous and Permian periods. That was well before the period of the dinosaurs in the Triassic and Jurassic. Oxygen levels appear to actually have been lower during those two periods compared to modern times - [www.researchgate.net]. The Cretaceous was a period of increasing levels leading up to the present.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 03:44PM by JoeH.
Freakin' dinosaurs.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 01, 2018 04:55PM
QED.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 01, 2018 06:54PM
Dinosaurs would have been fine in terms of oxygen because they have lungs (and the size of their lungs would have evolved to match the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere).

Insects don't have lungs; they breathe through their skin and that is why they are size-limited by the amount of oxygen. It's not as efficient and when their mass gets too large, the proportion of surface area to body mass gets out of whack and they can't get enough oxygen.
Date: July 01, 2018 07:14PM
AllGold
Dinosaurs would have been fine in terms of oxygen because they have lungs (and the size of their lungs would have evolved to match the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere)...

Depending upon the dinosaur/epoch.

Many of them would have evolved with about 10% richer O2 in the atmosphere.

Date: July 02, 2018 01:08AM
Sarcany
AllGold
Dinosaurs would have been fine in terms of oxygen because they have lungs (and the size of their lungs would have evolved to match the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere)...

No they wouldn't have. See my post and the linked article with charts above. They evolved during a period where the oxygen level was actually lower than now. You are thinking of the wrong period, it occurred about 100 million years or more earlier than the dinosaurs.
Date: July 02, 2018 06:54AM
JoeH
Sarcany
AllGold

No they wouldn't have. See my post and the linked article with charts above. They evolved during a period where the oxygen level was actually lower than now. You are thinking of the wrong period, it occurred about 100 million years or more earlier than the dinosaurs.

They FIRST evolved during a period of low oxygen, but they exploded in population during a series of oxygen peaks, the last one during the Jurassic age at 31% O2, about 10% higher than today. The hollow bones that allowed them to store oxygen efficiently turned out to be useful for growing big when oxygen got ramped up. The dinosaurs that lacked hollow bones and grew big did so where they could spend their adult lives in the sea.

Posted by: m.paris
Date: July 02, 2018 08:24AM
Be careful here: there is a big difference between 10% higher and 10 percentage points higher. 10% higher than 20% is only 22%.
Date: July 02, 2018 09:37AM
Sarcany
JoeH
Sarcany
AllGold

They FIRST evolved during a period of low oxygen, but they exploded in population during a series of oxygen peaks, the last one during the Jurassic age at 31% O2, about 10% higher than today. The hollow bones that allowed them to store oxygen efficiently turned out to be useful for growing big when oxygen got ramped up. The dinosaurs that lacked hollow bones and grew big did so where they could spend their adult lives in the sea.

You have a source for that 31% figure in the Jurassic? The graph included in the article I linked to shows no such peak, nothing even close. There is a peak at around 31% in the Carboniferous/Permian, later when dinosaurs first show in the geologic record during the Triassic the oxygen level was down to about 15-16%. There is a peak in the Triassic of around 18-19%, then it dips down to the 15% range for most of the Jurassic and starts rising in the early Cretaceous about 100 million years ago. By the end of the Cretaceous the level had risen to about 20%, just 1% less than now.
Date: July 02, 2018 03:39PM
JoeH
Sarcany
JoeH
Sarcany
AllGold

You have a source for that 31% figure in the Jurassic? The graph included in the article I linked to shows no such peak, nothing even close. There is a peak at around 31% in the Carboniferous/Permian, later when dinosaurs first show in the geologic record during the Triassic the oxygen level was down to about 15-16%. There is a peak in the Triassic of around 18-19%, then it dips down to the 15% range for most of the Jurassic and starts rising in the early Cretaceous about 100 million years ago. By the end of the Cretaceous the level had risen to about 20%, just 1% less than now.

I don't have a source for 31% in front of me. I learned the number in college, based on charcoal-testing.

As for your graph, I can't see it. That site wont load for me. but what I usually see with such things is that someone who likes smooth curves rounds things to the nearest 10 or 50 million years or so and it makes it look like the O2 level is descending from around 200 million years straight into the present day.

It did no such thing.

The level has jumped around a lot. Here's one from a quick Google search showing some peaks in the Jurassic that approach 30%. Yes, coming into the Jurassic, there's a terrific dip, but for most of the 56 million years of that era there was a lot of O2. And whenever it dropped, there was a massive die-off.

What I'm getting at is that (even if it wasn't as high as 31%) there's a compelling argument to be made that the giant megafauna from the Jurassic age were adapted to a high oxygen environment.

Date: July 02, 2018 04:12PM
Sarcany, what you learned in college about a 31% peak probably applied to the Carboniferous and Permian event. The source I am citing came out less than 10 years ago. In addition, an image from [www.skepticalcommunity.com] with an attribution that can not be confirmed might be a little suspect.

In any case, I uploaded the graph image and will post a link to it here:

[prnt.sc]

The translations of the abbreviations for the period is the following:

Pre-E, Pre-Cambrian; E, Cambrian; O, Ordovician; S, Silurian; D, Devonian; C, Carboniferous; P, Permian; Tr, Triassic; J, Jurassic; K, Cretaceous; T, Tertiary

(Capital 'E's substituted for the characters that the phorum software does not like in a post)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 04:14PM by JoeH.
Date: July 02, 2018 05:47PM
JoeH
In addition, an image from [www.skepticalcommunity.com] with an attribution that can not be confirmed might be a little suspect.

The Glasspool and Scott papers from 2006 thru 2015 from which the black line in the graph is derived are peer reviewed and popularly cited.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 02, 2018 06:02PM
This board has the best fights.
Re: Freakin' dinosaurs.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 02, 2018 06:29PM
RAMd®d
QED.

LOL!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: July 02, 2018 07:10PM
It's been my understanding too over the years, based on what I've read and seen, that the highest oxygen levels occurred during the Carboniferous. The Jurassic and Triassic from my recall didn't have anything special regarding oxygen levels (such that it's usually not mentioned).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020