Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wi Fi Issues -- RESOLVED!!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 14, 2018 11:06PM
I'm having a strange situation on my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro, running 10.13.5

I cannot get online. Whatever web address I try to get to, it starts loading and hangs, both in Safari and Firefox. The App Store will not connect.

I rebooted into the 10.7 partition, setup the new wifi and get online without issue.

I can see the router and restart it from the IP xx.xx.x.xx

I've rebooted.

I've removed the network and re-added it.

I can get online through other networks, local Library, work guest wi-fi, Starbucks, etc, so I know it's not my computer

My phone and wife's laptops connect via wifi and get online, so I know it's not the wifi router. It's like something in the router is blocking my access to the internet.

Any ideas?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 12:18AM by Rolando.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wi Fi Issues
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 14, 2018 11:17PM
Might be a DNS issue.

Go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced and see whether you have any manually-set DNS servers. Select each one and click the minus sign to remove it.

Posted by: Carm
Date: July 15, 2018 12:01AM
Sounds like DNS issue
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 15, 2018 12:16AM
Sarcany
Go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced and see whether you have any manually-set DNS servers. Select each one and click the minus sign to remove it.

That did it!

I had the following setup as a DNS server

I did that from Leo Laporte's endorsement for Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1
"1.1.1.1 is a public DNS resolver that makes DNS queries faster and more secure."
[www.cloudflare.com]

Worked fine, but not anymore.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Re: Wi Fi Issues -- RESOLVED!!
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 15, 2018 12:35AM
I use OpenDNS
208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
[www.techradar.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 12:37AM by Carm.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 15, 2018 07:18AM
So are you saying it’s better _not_ to have DNS servers specified?
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 15, 2018 08:04AM
pdq
So are you saying it’s better _not_ to have DNS servers specified?

No, it is better not to have non-working DNS servers specified.

Most routers have access to a default DNS server provided by the ISP, so you set the Network Preferences/Advanced/DNS entry to point to the router. Say, 192.168.1.1 . DHCP will set this automatically.

You visit a website. If your system does not have a cached IP address for the site name, it asks the DNS server (the router) to find it. If the router has a cached IP address, it will return it. If not, it will forward the request to its DNS server (which either has a cached value, or has to go to its DNS server in turn, and so on). Eventually, your system gets an IP address it can use to talk to the website.

Having a valid DNS server address in your system Network preferences allows you to bypass multiple links in the chain of lookups.

Google 8.8.8.8
IBM 9.9.9.9
OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 

The free namebench application will test your DNS choices and suggest improvements for faster lookups.

=TC
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 15, 2018 11:40AM
.....thought this said.....

.....Wi Fe issues.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 15, 2018 04:51PM
I know that people get pissed off at the "works for me" thing.

But sometimes, it's telling when that occurs.

I've been using the 1.1.1.1 DNS servers over Comcast since the initial announcement for it.

Never had a problem.

I suspect that your ISP is messing with it.

They track your DNS queries to sell your info to advertisers.

Public DNS servers are a threat to that side-business.

I;m sure that the only reason Comcast hasn't blocked it is that they have other priorities ahead of that. Like finding ways to nickel-and-dime their customers into an early grave.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020