advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: iPhone- Post it Here !
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 09, 2007 03:55PM
> That's why I mentioned the hybrid chips.

I don't know what you mean about "hybrid chips."

Any CDMA enhancements to the GSM cells should be perfectly transparent to users.

The cell towers have nearly all been upgraded towards incorporating 2g/3g EDGE upgrades which may include CDMA compression techniques.

With Cingular, those ancient AT&T phones can't take full advantage of the high-speed network and drop down to a low quality codec, but it's not due to any CDMA/GSM "hybrid" technology -- it's the price of being 6+ years obsolete as we move to 3g GSM. The same thing affects CDMA networks when you're talking about hardware that pre-dates the turn of the century. The phone drops down to the lowest-common-denominator codec which is inevitably pretty crummy and it might have trouble finding a modern cell tower that has a tighter radio signal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: weapon
Date: January 09, 2007 03:56PM
Ok. My it department is a pain in the ass. They only support blackberrys. The other division in cali supports treos + blackberrys.

How hard is it going to get this thing intigrated into existing systems based on windows servers????

Because if it does not work with the existing systems there is no way I can talk them into buying me one.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 09, 2007 03:56PM
i could reduce the items in my pocket greatly if this iPhone had contact management (which i guess the address book would be), datebook calendar, and on the fly notepad capabilities. i have a few other things on my palm PDA that are handy but i could live without them. do you think they'll be 3rd party apps or widgets to handle that? or am i missing that the iPhone already has more than contact list capabilities?
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: January 09, 2007 03:57PM
The real question is....

Will it blend?
Posted by: laarree
Date: January 09, 2007 04:00PM
If the iPhone is actually running MacOS X, will I be able to run Photoshop
on it? Will it support dual external displays?

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 09, 2007 04:11PM
Seacrest
The real question is....

Will it blend?

Ha!

Great slideshow on Reuters

[news.yahoo.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 09, 2007 04:23PM
MacMagus
> That's why I mentioned the hybrid chips.

I don't know what you mean about "hybrid chips."

Any CDMA enhancements to the GSM cells should be perfectly transparent to users.

They need a chip changed in the phone to take full advantage of 3G. The chips are apparently rare at this point. Apparently people at Cingular have been stealing them and trying to sell them for a large profit. So far I've only seen them for a few phones.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 09, 2007 04:50PM
graylocks
if this iPhone had contact management (which i guess the address book would be), datebook calendar, and on the fly notepad capabilities. or am i missing that the iPhone already has more than contact list capabilities?

Take a look at
[www.apple.com]

It describes much of its features and has videos of these features and the touchsceen GUI in action.

The Home display of the iPhone shows an application called "Notes" which I would expect is an on-the-fly notepad. "Calendar" another Home screen application.
Date: January 09, 2007 05:06PM
> They need a chip changed in the phone to take full advantage of 3G

You're talking about UMTS?

The network is almost entirely GPRS+Edge right now. There's a UMTS upgrade likely in our future, but there's no degraded performance from in not having the right SIM as there is when you're stuck with an AT&T SIM. Rather, you simply miss the performance *boost* that having a recent ultra-modern smart phone might give you in the right major city on the right street corner facing the right cell tower with the right data plan.

Having tried video on demand services on my phone (and trashed those useless apps in favor of streaming radio), I can see why UMTS would be really nice, but it's not a mandatory upgrade for good performance *as a phone* (or as a music player or movie player or gameboy or even for web browsing and Google Earth) -- at least not yet.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 09, 2007 05:20PM
I don't know the exact name, but that sounds like it. Right, Edge is slower than 3G. I use data all the time when I'm on the road. Sending 1-20MB files...

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: chas_m
Date: January 09, 2007 06:23PM
I'm buying one the minute they are available.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: Tofer
Date: January 09, 2007 06:41PM
maurycy
If it is going to be Cingular, then it is GSM which probably can be unlocked to work with other GSM providers (T-Mobile) that uses SIM cards.

I just read in the Time article (posted elsewhere on the forum) that Cingular had to completely change their voicemail software to work with the iPhone's voicemail structure. So, I have a feeling that it will be tough to swap to a different carrier for the time being. Maybe by '08 (when my contract is up with T-Mobile!).

-Tofer
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 09, 2007 06:46PM
The iPhone makes me think about getting back into programming. It opens up a whole new world for doctors and teachers and everybody else who has been disappointed with the creaky old Palm OS.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 09, 2007 06:56PM
I take back all the negativity I had in the last two days about iPhone. If it's as cool as the QT movies suggest, it'll rock, and hard.

And Cingular/AT&T is fine with me currently. In my limited travel area of north Georgia coverage is consistently better than anyone else (Atlanta, Cingular, néé Bellsouth Mobile's old stomping grounds hehe).
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 09, 2007 07:14PM
I think it's pretty cool. I didn't think much of the iPod and still really don't, but I'd bet this will do nothing but good for Apple and the idiots at ATT, long as it works as intended out of the box. I'm sure there'll be stumbles, but I'd think given the recent track record of Steve and the gang, next Xmas will be another bang for Apple.
I'm a VZW user right now, because of they're reliability, no other reason and I think all cell companys suck in one way or another. But if T continues the improvements with Edge and service coverage in general, I think this will help to do serious damage to VZW user base.
I'm impressed.

Pizza and beer for all!

8G iPod in 6 months $150. Avg techie phone $200, half way there. Only problem would be my cell bill.

Could be curtains for Palm.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2007 07:23PM by Fritz.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 09, 2007 07:55PM
I can't buy the phone, but the license plate in Virginia belongs to me. I just went online and ordered it.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2007 07:55PM by Bernie.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 09, 2007 11:08PM
No Cingular in my area. :-(

Living in the boonies has SOME drawbacks.

Maybe Steve will launch iSatellite and EVERYONE could connect!

Seriously, could a future revision of the iPhone work as a satellite phone?

I'm not up on the technology, but wouldn't that solve a lot of the coverage problems?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: microchip13
Date: January 10, 2007 07:39AM
Rick-o

I'm not up on the technology, but wouldn't that solve a lot of the coverage problems?

Yes, if you want a huge phone with a gigantic antenna, required line of sight to the sky and extremely, extremely expensive rates, sure.

Check out Iridium.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: karsen
Date: January 10, 2007 08:25AM
Zoidberg
Don't care if Cingular sucks; that's going to be my new provider when my contract with Sprint runs out.

The primary purpose of a phone for me is to talk to people. Cingular's service made that painful to nearly impossible at times. I chickle every time I hear their slogan of "fewest dropped calls". As a small business own who relies on mobile service as a primary communication device Cingular is simply not acceptable.

Their customer service is like the Spanish inquisition, I felt tortured. Worst customer service experiences of any major company I've ever dealt with.

Oh, even though my bill was paid up upon my contract ending and my switch to Verizon they sent me bills for months after I left. I literraly got bills for "0 Minutes of use this Month, Total Bill this month $72.08." KMA CINGULAR!

No cool Apple phone on Earth will make me switch back to that nightmare called Cingular.

Good Luck!
Date: January 10, 2007 08:30AM
What about the idea of using the EDGE connectivity of the iPhone as a way for your laptop (or desktop) to get Internet access?

Is this a viable or good option for people rural areas where slow dial-up over analog phone lines is the only alternative?

Is EDGE fast in both uploading and downloading?
Is it reliable?
Is it likely to have coverage to areas that DSL cannot reach?
Do you think Cingular will offer reasonable pricing for unlimited Internet?

And what about WiMax? That was mentioned in the keynote around the time the Google representative was on stage. Slow, rural dial-up users want to know!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 08:34AM by TheTominator.
Posted by: karsen
Date: January 10, 2007 08:37AM
TheTominator
What about the idea of using the EDGE connectivity of the iPhone as a way for your laptop (or desktop) to get Internet access?

Is this a viable or good option for people rural areas where slow dial-up over analog phone lines is the only alternative?

Is EDGE fast in both uploading and downloading?
Is it reliable?
Is it likely to have coverage to areas that DSL cannot reach?
Do you think Cingular will offer reasonable pricing for unlimited Internet?

If you're looking for speed and a viable replacement for DSL Cingular EDGE is not the answer. Sprint and Verizon offer EVDO which is much faster. A friend of mine had Cingular's Edge built into a Sony laptop and it felt like dial up. My in-Laws have Sprint's EVDO direct to their phone and going into a laptop via USB cable, it seems as fast as their DSL service at home. I have no experience with Verizon's EVDO.

Here's an article illustrating the differences: [www.timeatlas.com]

And another: [andyabramson.blogs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 08:38AM by karsen.
Date: January 10, 2007 08:40AM
Some research at cingular.com answers some of my coverage area question. They provide a national map.
[www.cingular.com]

Unfortunately it doesn't show the level of detail needed for me to know a clear answer about my office location. Maybe it will be helpful to others.
Date: January 10, 2007 08:52AM
karsen
A friend of mine had Cingular's Edge built into a Sony laptop and it felt like dial up. My in-Laws have Sprint's EVDO direct to their phone and going into a laptop via USB cable, it seems as fast as their DSL service at home.

Thank you karsen. That's very helpful.

My need is for increased upload speed too. So I'm checking the links now and seeing if I can answer the coverage, speed, and price questions.
Date: January 10, 2007 12:15PM
> A friend of mine had Cingular's Edge built into a Sony laptop and it felt like dial up.

I use my cell phone to connect from my laptop using Cingular/mmode when I'm on the road. It took about a minute to set up using information from the Howard Forums. The connection over Bluetooth is roughly twice the speed of a 56k modem.

In contrast, when I borrowed a friend's Sprint PCMCIA card, the speed was slow enough that the DSL Reports speed test pages timed out without completing a test. My friend told me that Sprint claims to give him a full 1 megabit per second and he's never seen reason to doubt this as web pages load very rapidly for him in Washington DC, but he's never tried the card outside of DC before. It appears from this experience that outside of the major cities where the high speed network has been deployed, users end up on a very low bandwidth connection at Sprint's regular network speeds, which suck ass.

As a result, for anyone who intends to connect at reasonable speeds while traveling extensively I would still recommend a Nokia smart phone on Cingular's network rather than Sprint EVDO. If you're living in a major city and don't expect to do a lot of traveling outside of big cities then Sprint may be your best option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 12:16PM by MacMagus.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 10, 2007 12:19PM
microchip13
Rick-o

Yes, if you want a huge phone with a gigantic antenna, required line of sight to the sky and extremely, extremely expensive rates, sure.

Check out Iridium.

I know your the resident cell expert around here 'chip, but when the first cell phones were offered, they were huge and very expensive. Look how far they have come. Aren't the antenna issues being resolved? I went to the link below, Thuraya I guess, and that phone is tiny! Also read where China is planning on sending up 50+ satellites soon. Could that be something to do with sat phones?

[www.satcomgroup.com]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 10, 2007 12:34PM
microchip13
Check out Iridium.

The American Heritage Science Dictionary -
Cite This Source
iridium (?-r?d'?-?m)
Symbol Ir
A rare, whitish-yellow element that is the most corrosion-resistant metal known. It is very dense, hard, and brittle, and is is used to make hard alloys of platinum for jewelry, pen points, and electrical contacts. Atomic number 77; atomic weight 192.2; melting point 2,410°C; boiling point 4,130°C; specific gravity 22.42 (at 17°C); valence 3, 4. See Periodic Table.

Our Living Language : In 1978 geologist Walter Alvarez discovered a high concentration of iridium in a layer of clay that had formed between the Mesozoic and Cenozoic eras, a period about 65 million years ago during which dinosaurs and many other organisms became extinct. This finding was significant as iridium is rare at Earth's surface (an unusually high concentration is called an iridium anomaly). Most surface iridium is thought to come from dust created when meteors disintegrate in the atmosphere or collide with Earth. Alvarez's father, the physicist Luis Alvarez, suggested that the iridium might have come from the impact of a meteor about 10 km (6.2 mi) across. Such an impact would have caused an enormous explosion, sending huge clouds of dust into the atmosphere. The dust, blocking out the Sun and causing extensive acid rain, would have triggered a worldwide ecological disaster. Many scientists think that such a disaster caused the extinction of the dinosaurs and at least 70 percent of all other species alive at the time, including most of Earth's land plants. Geologists have since found iridium deposits in rocks of a similar age in more than 100 places worldwide. Scientists in the early 1990s identified a large impact crater in the Yucatán peninsula of central Mexico that is the same age as the iridium deposit found by Alvarez. It is 200 km (125 mi) wide and may have been caused by the same impact.

The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
Copyright © 2002 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

What's really interesting to me is that last night on XM's Old Time Radio I heard a "vintage" commercial for Pepsodent Toothpaste with "Iridium."

I wonder what affect it had on the people that used it?

GeneL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020