advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Safari preferences
Posted by: clyde
Date: August 18, 2018 09:07PM
Suddenly a screen tells me I gotta update Adobe Flash. Because I wanted to see what I had requested, I clicked OK.

Adobe went wild and changed home pages on both Safari & Firefox.

I opened Firefox preferences and set home page as desired; closed, reopened—Firefox retained the home page I had designated.

I opened Safari preferences and set home page as desired; closed, reopened—Safari tells me I ain't got no choice. It's google—take it or leave it.

What must I do to get Safari to start with the page I choose and to open new pages with my choice?

Safari worked fine before this incident with Adobe!

iMac, OS 10.13.3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 09:07PM by clyde.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Safari preferences
Posted by: Golfer
Date: August 18, 2018 09:14PM
never update flash from a pop-up, always go straight to adobe.com and grab the update.

running malwarebytes would be a good start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 09:15PM by Golfer.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 18, 2018 10:50PM
Golfer
never update flash from a pop-up, always go straight to adobe.com and grab the update.

X100. You can also update flash from your system prefs.

FWIW, you might think its Adobe, but they arent doing this. Im guessing whatever you downloaded has taken over safari.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: btfc
Date: August 18, 2018 10:56PM
Yes, run malwarebytes, etrecheck, empty browser cache(s), clean out cookies, and look for odd/new extensions and plugins in any browsers you have installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 10:59PM by btfc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 19, 2018 02:00AM

Sometimes a popup like that will be genuine and take you to adobe.com and update flash, no worries.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

But if you need to, you need to, I guess.

I never use flash.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 19, 2018 02:03AM

Sometimes a popup like that will be genuine and take you to adobe.com and update flash, no worries.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

I never use flash.

But if you need to, you need to, I guess.

I never use flash.

(I forgot to acknowledge the original quote.)

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 19, 2018 05:33AM
I removed Flash from my computers a few years ago. Once every few weeks/months I see a message saying a website is not compatible, and I decide I don't need to go to that website.
Date: August 19, 2018 07:25AM
I removed Flash from my computers a few years ago. Once every few weeks/months I see a message saying a website is not compatible, and I decide I don't need to go to that website.

Likewise, exactly.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 19, 2018 08:11AM
clyde,

I will try to answer your question. No one else did.

The problem is located NOT in the Safari application itself but in those Safari pieces that re in your Home Library under Safari, Preferences, and maybe Application Support.

First, I'd run Etrecheck with should find the infected parts of Safari that you can delete. Or.....

You can dig around in your Home Library/Safari for things named Google, and the same for Home Library/Application Support. The hard drive Library may have some of the same that you can delete. You can also delete all of the Safari...plist items in HomeLibrary/Preferences. They will be replaced when you next run Safari.

If it were me, I would either use Time Machine to restore the HomeLibrary/Safari folder from an earlier date than the arrival of your problem or If you have another Mac running the same OS but is not infected, copy the same folder from the other Mac.

clyde
Suddenly a screen tells me I gotta update Adobe Flash. Because I wanted to see what I had requested, I clicked OK.

Adobe went wild and changed home pages on both Safari & Firefox.

I opened Firefox preferences and set home page as desired; closed, reopened—Firefox retained the home page I had designated.

I opened Safari preferences and set home page as desired; closed, reopened—Safari tells me I ain't got no choice. It's google—take it or leave it.

What must I do to get Safari to start with the page I choose and to open new pages with my choice?

Safari worked fine before this incident with Adobe!

iMac, OS 10.13.3

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: August 19, 2018 08:48AM
RAMd®d

Likewise, exactly.

Where do I look to see if Flash is installed on my computer and if so, how is it removed?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: billb
Date: August 19, 2018 09:41AM
Usually the Flash dmg is in your downloads folder.

One of these malware scams downloads a legitimate copy of flash as a ruse while it is also downloading crap. But afaik it doesn't unpack, it just sits there taking up space
They've also hustled legitimate certificates from Apple somehow so they've bypassed gatekeeper.

Search for files by date ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Golfer
Date: August 19, 2018 09:59AM
modelamac
clyde,

I will try to answer your question. No one else did.

The problem is located NOT in the Safari application itself but in those Safari pieces that re in your Home Library under Safari, Preferences, and maybe Application Support.

First, I'd run Etrecheck with should find the infected parts of Safari that you can delete. Or.....

You can dig around in your Home Library/Safari for things named Google, and the same for Home Library/Application Support. The hard drive Library may have some of the same that you can delete. You can also delete all of the Safari...plist items in HomeLibrary/Preferences. They will be replaced when you next run Safari.

If it were me, I would either use Time Machine to restore the HomeLibrary/Safari folder from an earlier date than the arrival of your problem or If you have another Mac running the same OS but is not infected, copy the same folder from the other Mac.

Yes, I did. Running malwarebytes will more than likely find the offending culprit and get rid of it.
Posted by: clyde
Date: August 19, 2018 10:38AM
Did the first part of modelamac's suggestion: ran Etrecheck, which found some difficulties. I "removed" one of them by clicking the Remove button in the window. Maybe it worked…

Time Machine has backups of the entire computer's files. How involved is restoring HomeLibrary/Safari folder from an earlier date?

Addendum: This morn Apple Mail shows this message:
"Mail was unable to connect to server 'mail.cableone.net' using SSL on the default ports. Verify that this server supports SSL and that your account settings are correct." Guess the bug, or whatever it was, went into email also.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 20, 2018 02:47PM
Darwin Award on its' way (ignore the ticking sounds)......... banghead smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020