advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is this Mac Mini dead?
Posted by: J Marston
Date: August 21, 2018 03:19PM
I have an original Mac Mini from April 2005, and I've kept it mainly to run some legacy software and, more recently, as a curiosity. It has run flawlessly (and slowly) up until now.

Now, however, after 10 minutes of operation or so, I start getting horizontal lines across the display, which gradually get worse; and after another 5 minutes or so, the video goes out completely. (I've changed the video cable to the monitor and the monitor itself.)

Is this a sign that the video circuitry in the Mini is doomed? Obviously there's no point in repairing it, so is it off to the graveyard or am I missing a trouble-shooting step?

Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is this Mac Mini dead?
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 21, 2018 03:46PM
Are you sure it's not the monitor (edit: or the monitor cable)?

If not, it sounds like the video card (or some of the interconnects) are failing. Good for you for keeping it so long, but you can get another on eBay for as little as $30 or so if you were feeling nostalgic or somehow needed a PPC Mini.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2018 03:46PM by pdq.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 21, 2018 09:45PM
Let it sit at room temperature overnight. Turnit on the next day and use it, taking note of how long it takes to go wonky. The next night put the mini in the fridge (not freezer). Do the same thing as above. If it takes longer after being in the fridge, there 's a component in the mini that fails from heat. Probably not fixable,

Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 22, 2018 11:00AM
Sure sounds like a hardware video failure but I'd do a system software install or run from an external bootable to make sure it isn't software before giving up on it. Do you still have the system disks?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 22, 2018 11:03AM
....what does Bones think......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 22, 2018 12:20PM
I may have a C2D Mini available...out of town this week, though, so it depends on how soon you need it.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: August 22, 2018 02:49PM
This version had a separate power supply, yes? Anyway to swap it and verify it is not the problem?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020