advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
alert?!.....Hurricane 'Lane' headed towards Hawaii.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 21, 2018 10:22PM
....category 4 right now.....

Rare Hurricane Warning Issued for the Hawaii's Big Island as Powerful Hurricane Lane Threat Increases; Hurricane Watch Issued for Oahu, Maui

.....At a Glance
Hurricane warnings have been issued for Hawaii County.
Lane is bordering on Category 5 intensity hundreds of miles southeast of Hawaii.
Lane will curl northwestward later this week toward Hawaii, eventually weakening.
A direct strike on parts of the Hawaiian Islands is possible late this week.
The island chain will see high surf, rip currents, winds and heavy rain, regardless of the exact track.
Whether the core of Lane's strongest winds affects parts of the islands remains uncertain.
Hurricane warnings are in effect in parts of Hawaii as Hurricane Lane now poses an increasing, but still uncertain, danger to parts of the Hawaiian Islands late this week with high winds, flooding rain, battering surf and coastal flooding possible.

A hurricane warning was issued by the Central Pacific Hurricane Center Tuesday for the Big Island of Hawaii.

A hurricane watch is in effect for Maui and Honolulu Counties, including the islands of Maui, Lanai, Molokai, and Kahoolawe and the city of Honolulu.

A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected within the watch area.

A hurricane watch means hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area, and is typically issued 48 hours before the onset of tropical storm-force winds that may make preparations difficult or dangerous, according to CPHC.

Current Status and Forecast Track Uncertainty
The center of Lane is about 375 miles south-southeast of the Big Island's Kona coast or about 535 miles south-southeast of Honolulu, Hawaii, moving west-northwestward. Lane remains a strong Category 4 hurricane with 155 mph winds.

The hurricane hunters have reported a rapid lowering of pressure over the last 24 hours. Lowering pressures typically are followed by an increase in wind speeds.

warning.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: alert?!.....Hurricane 'Lane' headed towards Hawaii.....
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 21, 2018 11:26PM
Wow.
Since this is as far as I know a relatively uncommon occurrence, does Hawaii have anything resembling local public storm shelters? From what I've seen on Kilauea lava flow videos, Hawaiian homes are not as a group what one would call "robustly built" and would fold like houses of cards in the onslaught of a hurricane.
Also I wonder what effect, if any, dumping that much water at once on an actively erupting volcano will have?

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Frank
Date: August 22, 2018 01:32AM
Hurricane Lane is expected to turn northward and come close to or hit directly all the islands. It is still expected that wind shears will reduce its intensity to a Cat 1 before it hits Oahu and perhaps be reduced to a tropical storm before it hits Kauai. Its course and intensity are speculation though and are changing constantly. What is certain is that we will experience high winds, heavy rain, high surf, and flooding. Lines of cars waiting to fuel up are very long. I was in Costco yesterday and Walmart today. Both were very busy and crowded with folks buying the usual: water, batteries, spam, toilet paper, paper towels ... stuff like that. Home Depot was a zoo with sales of plywood and supplies for home protection. I'll be spending the next couple of days preparing but don't have much energy to do so ... spent the morning in the hospital emergency dept. awaiting a transfusion that in the end was deemed not necessary. My doctor sent me there because of anemia and low blood pressure. I'll be moving slowly but its not expected to really hit Kauai until Friday.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 22, 2018 09:55AM
Wow, best of luck to you Frank.

I seem to recall there were some bomb shelters used when that false missile strike alarm occurred a few months ago.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 22, 2018 11:23AM
Hoping if it hits the Big Island, it would get broken up somewhat before hitting the other islands.

Ventusky

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 22, 2018 02:50PM
Frank, good luck and get healthy soon.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 24, 2018 07:23AM
....will get closest to land tonight.....major flooding expected through Saturday.....wish all the best to all in Hawaii......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020