The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Holmeless Samaritan lawyers up & suing couple running $400k Gofundme account
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 29, 2018 06:32PM
Previous forum discussion [forums.macresource.com]

News story: [www.ksl.com]

MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. (AP) — A homeless man whose selfless act of using his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of a stranded motorist in Philadelphia got him worldwide attention is suing the couple who led a $400,000 fundraising campaign to help him.

Johnny Bobbitt says he's concerned that Mark D'Amico and Katie McClure have mismanaged a large part of the donations raised for him on GoFundMe . The New Jersey couple denies the claims, saying they're wary of giving Bobbitt large sums because they feared he would buy drugs.

Bobbitt's lawsuit contends the couple committed fraud by taking money from the fundraising campaign for themselves. He's seeking undisclosed damages, and his lawyers want a judge to appoint someone to oversee the account.

A hearing on the lawsuit is scheduled for Thursday.

McClure set up the online fundraiser page as a way to give back to Bobbitt, who came to her aid when she ran out of gas on an Interstate 95 exit ramp late one night. It raised more than $400,000 in funds donated by more than 14,000 people.

Bobbitt walked a few blocks to buy McClure gas. She didn't have money to repay him at the time, but sought him out days later to give him the money, and visited him a few more times to bring food and water. They later appeared on shows like "Good Morning America" and were interviewed by the BBC.

But the relationship has since gone sour.

Christopher C. Fallon, one of Bobbitt's lawyers, told The Philadelphia Inquirer that the legal action was taken after D'Amico ignored multiple requests for a full accounting of the money raised by the GoFundMe campaign.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2018 06:35PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Holmeless Samaritan lawyers up & suing couple running $400k Gofundme account
Posted by: CW2V
Date: August 29, 2018 06:41PM
Ah... Good intentions.

And the root of all evil.

CW2V
Re: Holmeless Samaritan lawyers up & suing couple running $400k Gofundme account
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 29, 2018 06:53PM
CW2V
Ah... Good intentions.

And the root of all evil.

CW2V

The Road To Not-Heaven Paving Company...
==
Posted by: billb
Date: August 29, 2018 07:09PM
There's no such thing as "selfless".

Any premise using that fallacy automatically falls flat on its face.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 29, 2018 07:52PM
the couple isn't going to win, they should just give the guy his money, and walk away. The lawyer will take a hefty chunk anyway.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 29, 2018 08:33PM
Ombligo
the couple isn't going to win, they should just give the guy his money, and walk away. The lawyer will take a hefty chunk anyway.

Yep, the sharks attorneys will take 40% + "expenses" and don't forget the IRS & PA Dept of Revenue (3.07% flat tax); they'll take their cut before anyone!

very rough calculation:
IRS withholding: $160,000
PA Dept. of Rev: $ 12,000
Legal Fees/Exp: $163,000
=================

Plaintiff's Net: $65,000
...and Mr. Bobbitt will no longer be eligible for Medicaid, SNAP (Food Stamps), and other social services.

sad mess

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 29, 2018 08:46PM
billb
There's no such thing as "selfless".

Any premise using that fallacy automatically falls flat on its face.

So true, everybody is a selfish cynic.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 29, 2018 09:26PM
pRICE cUBE
Holmeless Samaritan

Holmeless?
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 30, 2018 08:33AM
"D'Amico ignored multiple requests for a full accounting of the money"

This is not an unreasonable request.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 30, 2018 08:49AM
billb
There's no such thing as "selfless”.

Well, that explains a lot.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 30, 2018 09:12AM
Plaintiff's Net: $65,000
...and Mr. Bobbitt will no longer be eligible for Medicaid, SNAP (Food Stamps), and other social services.

He will be, shortly after receiving his windfall.

Odds are he will burn through that very quickly. Should he survive his 'good fortune', he will be back where he started.

sad mess.

The couple needs to wash their hands of the whole mess and get on with their lives.

You can't save everybody.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 30, 2018 10:10AM
Much speculation that if he wins, the proceeds will be frittered away in short order. But I do note the following,
”Bobbitt's lawsuit contends the couple committed fraud by taking money from the fundraising campaign for themselves. He's seeking undisclosed damages, and his lawyers want a judge to appoint someone to oversee the account.

So perhaps there is some foresight being applied — perhaps even by *gasp* the person at the center of this, of whom the default assumption seems to be that he never has a lucid thought of his own — that might at least forestall a headlong plunge back into his inescapable(?) rut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 10:10AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 30, 2018 05:20PM
Whatever's left should be placed in a special needs trust with no access to cash for the beneficiary given their substance abuse problem.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 30, 2018 07:37PM
From the story, the couple refuses to reveal their dealings with the money. I could see the couple potentially using the money on legal fees. This isn't going to end well for anyone involved.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 30, 2018 07:55PM
and his lawyers want a judge to appoint someone to oversee the account.”

I wonder if the lawyers would volunteer for the job.

and his lawyers...

If there's any foresight concerning the appropriate handling of funds, my money is not on it coming from 'the person at the center of this, of whom the default assumption seems to be that he never has a lucid thought of his own — that might at least forestall a headlong plunge back into his inescapable(?) rut.'

I'll allow it could happen. Just not very likely.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 30, 2018 07:59PM
Just call Saul.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 174
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020