advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA/You learn something new daily: You can be poisoned by ingesting too much Visine
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 06, 2018 03:12PM

[jezebel.com]

A South Carolina Woman Poisoned Her Husband With Eyedrops
When 64-year-old South Carolina man Steven Clayton tumbled down the stairs of his enormous lakeside mansion modeled after Mount Vernon, authorities thought he had died from the fall. But if, like me, you’re also caught up on true crime series The Staircase, you’re probably aware that staircase deaths aren’t always what they seem!

The Washington Post reports that after Clayton’s funeral, an autopsy quickly revealed that his body contained incredibly high levels of tetrahydrozoline, a common ingredient found in eyedrops like Visine as well as nasal sprays. When Clayton’s wife Lana Sue was confronted with this evidence, she reportedly admitted she had poisoned him with eyedrops, putting it in his food. Her motive for doing so is still elusive.

In 2008, a Long Island woman was sentenced to three years’ probation after spiking a roommate’s drink with the product. A Cleveland area man was given a five-year prison sentence in 2012 after nearly killing his father by pouring two bottles of Visine into his milk. In 2013, a Wyoming teenager was charged after pouring 20 bottles of the product in her stepmother’s tea and coffee over a four-month period. That same year, a California man was arrested after spiking his girlfriend’s drink with Visine following a fight. A Utah woman was charged with poisoning her husband over a period of several months in April 2017.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA/You learn something new daily: You can be poisoned by ingesting too much Visine
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2018 03:19PM
....who you looking' to kill.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: PSA/You learn something new daily: You can be poisoned by ingesting too much Visine
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 06, 2018 03:26PM
Huh. Cross that one off the list. Too traceable.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 06, 2018 04:07PM
I heard that it could cause serious flatulence.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 06, 2018 04:55PM
Saw a headline earlier today; same lady was charged with shooting her husband with a crossbow a few years ago. I guess he probably shouldn't have forgiven or forgotten that little incident, huh?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 06, 2018 04:58PM
Paul F.
Saw a headline earlier today; same lady was charged with shooting her husband with a crossbow a few years ago. I guess he probably shouldn't have forgiven or forgotten that little incident, huh?

If that isn't love, what is?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: p8712
Date: September 06, 2018 05:26PM
Its a vasoconstrictive (will raise BP). Honestly doesn't need to be on the market, too dangerous for the limited benefit. People jack their BP up without realizing it.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 06, 2018 05:55PM
I learned about eye drops being dangerous a few years ago. I had recently bought a bottle and noticed it had a child safe cap on it. I thought that was ridiculous! A few days later I was talking about it with Ann, the person doing PT on my leg. She told me some stories about the danger, and I still wasn't sure I believed it until I did a search and found out it wasn't quite as benign as I thought it was.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 06, 2018 06:08PM
Wow. Yep, this is my new thing for today. Thanks, pRICE.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 06, 2018 06:14PM
I first learned about the dangers of ingesting tetrahydrozoline some months ago, I forget where. My understanding is that it takes only a very small amount to cause a lot of damage to a human.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 06, 2018 06:35PM
It's long been used as a plot device in TV shows, particularly in scenarios where a bartender deliberately makes a patron ill, and less frequently, in actual life.

I'm aware of two uses were the victims were subsequently robbed. This is the first time I've heard of it contributing to a fatality. Maybe I missed it, but the article doesn't state he died from the poison, though I don't doubt he might have.

Far from a perfect poison though, unless it's an attended death were the victim was expected to die soon.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 06, 2018 06:51PM
p8712
Its a vasoconstrictive (will raise BP).

That's its effect when applied as eyedrops but when ingested it causes low blood pressure and slow heart rate:

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 06, 2018 09:25PM
I’m pretty sure that eye drops were used as poison in an episode of CSI.
Posted by: Mactel
Date: September 07, 2018 09:39AM
I always thought it was an urban legend that if you squirt it into someone's drink, it will give them explosive diarrhea. Maybe saw that in a movie or something. Didn't know it could kill you!
Date: September 07, 2018 10:41AM
.....eye.......see...

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 07, 2018 11:32AM
Visine: Gets the Life Out
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 07, 2018 03:00PM
I'm 99% sure in Orange Is The New Black, eye drops was used in the prison cafeteria for a non-lethal revenge attack.
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 07, 2018 03:08PM
I'm .01% sure in Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (NBC) Princess Ardala tried using eye drops to drug Wilma but the robot sidekick Twiggi foiled the plot at the last second.
Date: September 07, 2018 03:35PM
.....the famous scene in 'Wedding Crashers' when Vince and Owen place the drops in the 'boyfriend's' drink to make him sick.......

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 07, 2018 05:26PM
Mactel
I always thought it was an urban legend that if you squirt it into someone's drink, it will give them explosive diarrhea. Maybe saw that in a movie or something.

That would be Wedding Crashers.

[www.therecord.com]
[www.snopes.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 07, 2018 08:28PM
It won't be long before you have to sign for this stuff when you buy it, just like when you buy pseudoephedrine now.
Date: September 07, 2018 09:30PM
....so there will be a METH.....od to the madness.....????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020