advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Roof: asphalt shingles vs metal
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 06, 2018 03:21PM
My mom wants to reroof her house (I'm against it, but that's another thread). Now, it has mid-priced asphalt shingles. She was wondering about going back with those or using metal. The house is a simple ranch with gables and a gabled front porch. It has two levels of roof. It was built it in 1973. It's light brown bricks, with a dark brown roof and wood trim. I haven't seen a metal color that looks ideal. The size is roughly 30 X 70. I don't think she would want architectural shingles.

Any, for this thread, I'd like to hear opinions on asphalt vs metal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Roof: asphalt shingles vs metal
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 06, 2018 03:23PM
I've considered it, but in my ticky-tacky-tract of similar houses the one or two that have it look out of place.

Also, how long does she plan on living there? For the 50-year life of the roof? If not, does she want to PAY for a roof that will outlast her residence there perhaps significantly? I think about that for me and my house.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 06, 2018 03:33PM
Metal’s warranted for twice as long and costs twice as much. Depends what you can afford at the time and style. They make metal roofs that look like shingles too, so you’re not locked into the standing seam look.

I considered it the last time I needed a roof. Another factor for us, though, is that around here (Midwest) insurance companies buy more roofs than homeowners due to storms. If we get a real big hailstorm every 15-20 years, we may go our whole lives without buying a roof.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 06, 2018 03:46PM
Metal roofs are common out here in the boonies. I would not have guessed they cost twice as much, since so many people out here are poor, like poverty-level poor.

Metal roofs are also becoming chi-chi chiq in architectural circles, as stylistic alternatives to shingles. Sorta depends on where you live if they are considered a poor-man's roof or a rich man's roof. Irony, that.

My suspicion is that metal roofs can be either, depending on the design.

The one on the house I'm in was installed a decade or so ago. It's in good shape but for the faded paint. I spent a week and a half by myself replacing all the of the screws that secure the panels. Cost was about $250 or so for the screws.
Posted by: dad@home
Date: September 06, 2018 03:48PM
Metal roofs are more fire resistant and more durable with the exception of falling debris. If she has nearby trees that can shed branches the metal roof may get punctured which may lead to an unsightly patch. (At least that's what our contractor told us when we were building our cabin in the woods).

John

For some must watch, while some must sleep
So runs the world away
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 06, 2018 04:02PM
I imagine metal could come in as many colors as shingles do, so don't let that steer you away.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 06, 2018 05:43PM
Metal all the way for me. I had these guys do a metal roof on one of my buildings. They do excellent work and don't charge the big bucks like a normal roof contractor.

I don't think I'll ever do another roof with 3 tab shingles.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 06, 2018 05:44PM
I'd go (and went) with asphalt shingles.

I looked at it this way when I replaced my roof a few years ago -- I was 55, asphalt cost $12k and will last 25 years or until I'm 80. Will I still be in my house then? likely not. Metal would cost $22k but last for the next owner.

I don't care about the next owner. I also bet that metal will come down in price relative to asphalt, so the "value" will decrease.

Now you really want to upset her apple cart? Mention the Tesla Solar Roof Tiles.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 06, 2018 06:04PM
We have metal roof textured to look like tile. Tile-ish. Tile-oid. They don't *really* look like tile but it looks much better than a bare metal roof. Installed at least 25 years ago before we bought the house and still looking very good.

Upsides:

• Lasts just about forever
• Pretty much fireproof
• Lightweight

Downsides:

• Can transmit a lot of heat if you don't have a thicker under-roof (ours is a shake (wooden shingle) roof underneath).
• The "tile" looking treatment very slowly wears off and leaves some sandy/tiny pebbly detritus in your gutters. Tiles still look new though.
• You can't get anything put on your roof afterwards for anything resembling an affordable price (Solar, AC)
• It's a bit fragile so if someone's not used to walking on it, tiles can get bent. We have a bent tile from getting our chimney serviced.

If I ever need a new roof, I'll consider metal again if I can get solar installed at the same time as we have a clear, long, low-angle, South-facing roof run. Otherwise it'll be asphalt and solar.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 06, 2018 06:38PM
I wish more people cared about the longevity of improvements, if you can afford to do it. Imagine if people building houses in the Victorian era didn't care about the quality of materials, would we have any hardwood floors, slate roofs, or decorative woodwork?
Posted by: John B.
Date: September 06, 2018 06:38PM
I put standing-seam (no visible fasteners) metal on a garage I built a year and a half ago. Two of us roofed the 22' x 40' building in about 8-10 hours. I'm in a northern climate, so when we have snow on the roof with a little bit of sun, it sheets right off of the metal roof. Kinda fun to watch.
Posted by: jh
Date: September 06, 2018 06:42PM
A while ago I was talking to a roofing contractor and we talked about metal roofs. I live in a ranch style single level home. He mentioned that the screws or whatever they use to put them down can cause leaks and usually have to be replaced eventually. That was his story so take it for what it is worth.

Guy down the street lives in the same type of ranch home and mentioned to me the problem he was was when he needed to get on the roof to clean out gutters etc. it scared the heck out of him because of the potential to slide every where. Does not seem to be a problem now so I don't know what he did to solve the problem. He still gets on the roof to clean the gutters.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 06, 2018 07:07PM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the possible insurance benefits of having a (mostly) fire and storm-proof roof. I’d think the insurance companies would like them.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: billb
Date: September 06, 2018 09:42PM
Insurance companies may find replacement costs are through the roof.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Winston
Date: September 06, 2018 09:48PM
Lew Zealand
We have metal roof textured to look like tile. Tile-ish. Tile-oid. They don't *really* look like tile but it looks much better than a bare metal roof. Installed at least 25 years ago before we bought the house and still looking very good.

Downsides:

• Can transmit a lot of heat if you don't have a thicker under-roof (ours is a shake (wooden shingle) roof underneath).

When I researched a metal roof a couple of years ago, what I read said they are cooler than asphalt. They reflect more sun rather than absorbing it. They may feel hotter in bright sun than asphalt, but the thicker asphalt is actually absorbing more heat.

We were looking at the standing-seam type of metal roof. Problem was, the roof needs to be "level" (i.e. straight along a given section)- this was for a 1901 cottage which had far from straight roof joists. Would have cost a lot to fair out the support to be even for the metal roof. Also, the contractor wasn't particularly experienced with them. So we went with asphalt shingle. But if we'd had more time to work on finding a roofer (this was in a small town with few options) I'd have preferred to go with the standing-seam metal roof.

Apparently a bunch of sites how have virtual visualizers that let you upload a photo, then see what the roof would look like:
[www.abcmetalroofing.com]
[www.americanmetalroofs.com]
[classicmetalroofing.renoworks.com]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 06, 2018 10:12PM
Winston, that was exactly my reason for researching metal roofs s well. I would prefer returning to slate, but mine is long gone, so I'm looking for a good alternative to asphalt. The penetrations of a standing seam roof are.apparently problematic, as noted. Also, the skills required to install are in short supply, so pricing follows accordingly.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 06, 2018 10:23PM
We were convinced to go metal when we built out first house. Everybody insisted that we needed it in snow country and for fire safety.

Lesson 1: Snow shedding: One foot of snow on the roof would turn into 9 feet on our front deck. This was especially problematic for our passive solar design. Adding the little anti-slide tabs worked for the first foot, but as more built up, it overwhelmed the tabs and bent them.

Lesson 2: Expansion and Contraction: At elevation 4500' we had snowy winters and hot summers. That caused a lot of expansion and contraction. That caused screws to come loose each season, and problems with caulking wherever the roof met a wall. That made maintenance mandatory every fall.

Lesson 3: Metal roofs are scary. I spend a lot of time before building our house doing asphalt shingle and wood shake roofs. I thought I felt pretty comfortable at heights. But put a little dust or pollen on a metal roof and its a slip and slide. That makes number two all that more important.

As a bonus...when the snow stayed on the roof, that house was so much warmer. We had to build the house as if the snow would stay there anyways...

After three years, we removed the metal roof and went to asphalt shingles. I figured the time spent just in shoveling was more time that it takes to put shingles on. We sold that house 15 years later, and now another 15 years later that roof is still on there and looks fine.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 10:25PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2018 11:16PM
How many centuries old are those European copper roofs? 3? 4?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 07, 2018 09:18AM
Racer X
How many centuries old are those European copper roofs? 3? 4?

Well yes, but they are also attached to walls that are two foot wide stone. We already have an affordability crisis in housing. We could just as well make the argument that going back to temporary housing NOT designed to last, such as tipis or yurts, might make just as much sense.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 07, 2018 11:26AM
weird. i'd never heard of a metal roof before and this is the third time i've come across a discussion on it in the last two weeks.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 07, 2018 11:42AM
When I think of metal roofs I think of Paris.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 07, 2018 01:08PM
mrbigstuff
Winston, that was exactly my reason for researching metal roofs s well. I would prefer returning to slate, but mine is long gone, so I'm looking for a good alternative to asphalt. The penetrations of a standing seam roof are.apparently problematic, as noted. Also, the skills required to install are in short supply, so pricing follows accordingly.
Have you looked into some of the plastic roof tiles? They're made out of the same plastic as car bumpers, which is naturally slate grey and designed to be highly UV-resistant. They come in a variety of colors and textures, most notably "Slate".

Markintosh
We were convinced to go metal when we built out first house. Everybody insisted that we needed it in snow country and for fire safety. After three years, we removed the metal roof and went to asphalt shingles. I figured the time spent just in shoveling was more time that it takes to put shingles on. We sold that house 15 years later, and now another 15 years later that roof is still on there and looks fine.
Yep, with the number of sunny days, wide temperature variations, and amount of snow in the winter, I'd imagine the Reno/Tahoe area to be one of the most intense tests of a roof's durability and longevity in the US.
When they built the small subdivision on El Rancho Drive beside the golf course north of McCarran a little less than ten years ago, I noticed the builders used what appeared to be the plastic tiles I've mentioned above. I'd be interested to know how those roofs are holding up in that climate.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 08, 2018 10:30AM
jh
A while ago I was talking to a roofing contractor and we talked about metal roofs. I live in a ranch style single level home. He mentioned that the screws or whatever they use to put them down can cause leaks and usually have to be replaced eventually. That was his story so take it for what it is worth.

Guy down the street lives in the same type of ranch home and mentioned to me the problem he was was when he needed to get on the roof to clean out gutters etc. it scared the heck out of him because of the potential to slide every where. Does not seem to be a problem now so I don't know what he did to solve the problem. He still gets on the roof to clean the gutters.

Yeah, you want to avoid that "cheapie" metal roof.

The rubber grommets under the screws are the only thing keeping it weather-tight, and they'll fail within a few years.

OTOH, a traditional standing-seam metal roof has no exposed hardware.

But is so expensive nobody installs one as a replacement unless insurance is picking up the bill.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 08, 2018 11:49AM
how about when it rains, which one is more loud?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 08, 2018 10:34PM
Surprised no one mention Elon's solar roof?!?!?
[www.tesla.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020