advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
12" iPad owners - Do you like or regret buying?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 16, 2018 02:53PM
Do you like or regret buying? What uses do you have for it?

I am wondering if it is goof for an artistically inclined person to use for drawing. Also want it to double as a use around the house for multiple purposes. Is it to large for general use?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 12" iPad owners - Do you like or regret buying?
Posted by: Joseph C.
Date: September 16, 2018 02:59PM
Love mine.
I use it daily with ForScore. It has replaced a large stack of print books on my piano.
It's a little large for travel, but i really enjoy reading novels on it on the couch.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 16, 2018 03:05PM
....it is basically a laptop......if you are o.k with that......most get iPad for portability so they don't necessarily want another laptop.....it is as heavy as a laptop......if only for around the house and if you use for 'artistic' purposes....then I would say worth it.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 16, 2018 03:29PM
I have a large one and have no regrets about the size. I've read where a few people - who are out and about with it (in a coffee shop for instance), think the large size is a little awkward and prefer a smaller one in those situations.

I use it for drawing/painting (Procreate and Adobe Sketch) and can easily work on image files 20x16 @ 360ppi, with layers. The Pencil is amazing with these applications.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 16, 2018 03:45PM
Size does matter!
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 16, 2018 04:11PM
I had one, gave it to my son as it was the size of a laptop - and I already had a Mac for that. I went with a 9.7in iPad Pro as my iPad.

He's shown me all sorts of laptop-like features, especially with the new iOS including double screens.

It definitely requires a different workflow, but it DOES let you do a lot more thanks to the larger screen.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 16, 2018 04:41PM
I just got mine. Was afraid it would be too heavy but it isn’t ! Like a laptop but more convenient. No lid . I have a mini and 10.5, 9.7 for travel. Use computers less and less.

Maybe not good for travel because of Size
Great for reading
Great for drawing
Old eyes appreciate larger print
Great for movies
Would never use as a camera because I have small hands..and shakes
If I used more as a computer there would be more pluses

No regrets but thought I would ;-D
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 16, 2018 06:14PM
samintx

Would never use as a camera because I have small hands..and shakes

The dice tables of Vegas are calling.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 16, 2018 06:20PM
It would be too large for my needs, because portability is a factor. An iPod Air fits, with very little wiggle room, in the bags I carry. The Mini is perfect, and goes with me everywhere. I wish Apple would make a 256GB Mini.

I can’t draw the way I want on a tablet.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 16, 2018 09:54PM
I have both a regular iPad and the pro. I prefer the pro by far. The regular iPad has too small text for me so I’m always enlarging and the scrolling to see the whole screen. The pro is perfect in size for me.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: September 16, 2018 11:18PM
davemchine
I have both a regular iPad and the pro. I prefer the pro by far. The regular iPad has too small text for me so I’m always enlarging and the scrolling to see the whole screen. The pro is perfect in size for me.

This is a good point. I use mine to read. pdf art tutorials and it doesn't require constant pinning and zooming in and out.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 16, 2018 11:22PM
I got a good deal on a WiFi only, 12.9" refurb. I liked it so much, that when a 12.9" cellular model refurb became available, I jumped on it. NO regrets/buyer's remorse here. Go for it! old fogey smiley
Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 17, 2018 05:11AM
I also like the 12.9" iPad Pro, besides surfing, email and social media, I'm learning Affinity Photo for iPad, I would like to see if I can get away from a laptop for picture manipulation. I've dabbled a little with Procreate as well.

My daughter loves it and is using it more than me, she likes using Procreate to draw and paint.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 17, 2018 06:38AM
My daughter has that model; she's the artist in the family. She loves it; it's great for drawing, of course, but it's also good for videos/movies and games as well. She takes it just about everywhere.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 17, 2018 06:41AM
My wife loves hers. She won't use my iPad 3, the first Retina version, because it is too heavy to hold for long periods of time. I won't use her Pro unless I absolutely have to because I know I will not want to go back to my still-useable 3. Also, we travel with the 3 because I fear the Pro is too fragile and will bend, etc.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2018 06:43AM by Speedy.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 17, 2018 08:25AM
I like mine, but I specifically got it for the size.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020