advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What to do with Echo?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 24, 2018 06:16PM
My brother gave me an Echo for my birthday. I like the multiple timers which Siri cannot do. What are the most useful things you do with your Echo? Can it integrate with Apple's Reminders or Calendar?

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What to do with Echo?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 24, 2018 06:35PM
davemchine
My brother gave me an Echo for my birthday. I like the multiple timers which Siri cannot do. What are the most useful things you do with your Echo? Can it integrate with Apple's Reminders or Calendar?

Integrates with my TV, DVD Player, TiVO via Logitech Harmony Hub.

(The Harmony Remote is, itself, one of the biggest turds ever laid by a tech company, but the Hub's integration with Amazon is very nice.)

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 24, 2018 06:42PM
I use Echo Dots to play music from AMZ Prime and music I've purchased from them.

I also get my news from 'briefings', listen to my jazz and classical music stations KCSM and KDFC, though the latter not so much these days. I also told it to play an hour of Errol Garner, and it did. That's somewhat hit and miss, as some music is AMZ free, some is AMZ Music, and I don't subscribe.

It also does math problems I'm too lazy to do on my calculator, or convert one measure to another.

I also ask general questions like 'when is .....this' or 'when is that', or things like 'what is the last movie Robert De Nero made.

Up until recently, I used it to control my Hue lights. But for the second time, it stopped doing so, contently responding '...... doesn't support that'.

Siri can do some of this, and often does so when Alexa fails, and does far better in controlling my Hue kit, though not flawlessly.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 24, 2018 06:45PM
......can it talk one off of a ledge [ metaphorically ]........???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 24, 2018 06:51PM
Also useful for factual questions that Siri can't answer, like "Who starred in 'How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" or "Wikipedia 'Hydrocortisone.'"

(Siri does Google searches for most of these things and presents links instead of "speaking" the answers.)

Posted by: timg
Date: September 24, 2018 07:13PM
we have an Echo show and a google home. We've found google to be better at most fact questions, but it has no opinion on anything, whereas the Alexa assistant definitely has one.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 24, 2018 07:31PM
I'll replace my Dots with Spots if they price every drops significantly.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: September 24, 2018 08:09PM
At night, "Alexa, bedtime" and it turns off the TV and the lights, turns on the fan and plays music softly for an hour.

When the alarm goes off in the morning, "alexa, stop and good morning" turns off the alarm and the fan and turns on the light.

Controlling the lights in and out of the house and controlling the TV is very handy.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 24, 2018 08:15PM
I think you're supposed to shop with it.
Date: September 24, 2018 08:22PM
....can one talk dirty to it......???

Posted by: DP
Date: September 24, 2018 08:33PM
An Echo will also add ten pounds to your waistlines...

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 24, 2018 08:57PM
We use our Echo to control lights, a surprisingly useful feature.

We also have it turn our TV system on and off. Just because, though the off use is nice since I don’t have to find the remote.

We use it for timers in the kitchen all the time.

I like to have a news rotation to listen to.

Also use it for local weather - which it gets right most of the time.

We use google for our music streaming service; if you use Amazon or Spotify etc, you can have it play whatever music you like.

Also works with Audible audiobooks.

The new amazon Echo products will make setup a snap.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 24, 2018 09:16PM
echo knows my calendar but i think it’s because i use google calendar. of course my apple calendar is linked to my google calendar.

i don’t have many clocks in my house. echo is handy for a quick time check when i’m rushing around getting ready for work.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 25, 2018 12:43PM
Great for quick answers to simple questions, math, conversions, weather, definitions, news etc.

I had my Echo Dot setup with a wifi enabled switch to turn on a stereo amplifier when prompted, which would allow me to listen to music from the Dot (via Amazon Prime account) on some nice speakers.

Also setup another wifi switch that you could tell Alexa to turn on which would power on a Kano computer (raspberry Pi with no power switch) connected to a TV so one could easily start that up without fiddling with wires behind the TV.
Date: September 25, 2018 01:10PM
......can't you just ask your children these questions......???

Posted by: timg
Date: September 25, 2018 01:14PM
NewtonMP2100
......can't you just ask your children these questions......???

I find (echo/google home) useful when they ask me questions and then don't believe what I tell them ... they google or amazon to fact check my answer.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: morlock
Date: September 25, 2018 09:06PM
I bought some cheap wifi cotrolled outlets, and given my limited mobility / energy issues now due to my health problems, voice control has been a godsend for fans, lights, bathroom space heater, and ecobee thermostat.
And remote control to turn on the A/C while 20 minutes from home was awesome when it hit 113º this summer
Posted by: graylocks
Date: September 25, 2018 09:53PM
morlock
I bought some cheap wifi cotrolled outlets, and given my limited mobility / energy issues now due to my health problems, voice control has been a godsend for fans, lights, bathroom space heater, and ecobee thermostat.
And remote control to turn on the A/C while 20 minutes from home was awesome when it hit 113º this summer

i have one wifi outlet on my wyzecam as it occasionally needs rebooting. the other is on my nightstand lamp as it's an awkward twist to turn it off from the bed. my ecobee 4 enables me to turn off the AC when i'm not home and realize my energy wasteful son has probably left doors open again. he was greatly annoyed when he realized not only could i do that but that i could also lock him out of being able to reset the thermostat at all. i usually alexa the lamp. Ecobee is controlled from the iPhone app.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: GeneL
Date: September 26, 2018 04:28AM
Sarcany
davemchine

(The Harmony Remote is, itself, one of the biggest turds ever laid by a tech company, but the Hub's integration with Amazon is very nice.)

I have never put into words what I feel about the deluxe Harmony remote that I purchased to use with the "hub" because I felt that the basic remote was too basic.

Your description fits very nicely, but it's really too kind.

Using the remote has actually increased my vocabulary of epithets.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 26, 2018 01:48PM
GeneL
Sarcany
davemchine

I have never put into words what I feel about the deluxe Harmony remote that I purchased to use with the "hub" because I felt that the basic remote was too basic.

Your description fits very nicely, but it's really too kind.

Using the remote has actually increased my vocabulary of epithets.

Yeah, the Harmony remote I bought to help make things easier for other users only made it worse for everyone. Great idea, but unless the implementation and performance are 100% perfect then it's a failure. I threw it out.
Date: September 26, 2018 02:47PM
.....can you listen for it to return back to you....u...u.....u.....u......u......u....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020