advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do you do for backups?
Posted by: abevilac
Date: September 28, 2018 08:18PM
I had had a family plan with CrashPlan but they are closing shop for individuals and have suggested using Carbonite. What do you use? Your own external hard drive and TimeMachine? One of these online backup services? Nothing?

Thanks for your input.

Ann
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do you do for backups?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 28, 2018 08:20PM
Backblaze and time machine

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 28, 2018 08:31PM
Who needs one, my hard drives have never failed.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 28, 2018 08:37PM
RAID.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 28, 2018 08:40PM
Cloud, time machine and CCC backups.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 28, 2018 08:46PM
TM and BB. Simple and effective.

My work is intense every 2 months, then off for 6 weeks. At the end of a intense cycle, I also take a small portable drive and manually copy over all of the new client files. I drop it into a small fireproof safe under my desk.

Its all at BB if i want it, but the portable drive would be faster.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jh
Date: September 28, 2018 09:09PM
External drive and CCC.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 28, 2018 09:17PM
Backblaze and Time Machine. TM is constantly backed up to an NAS, and periodically backed up to an external drive. I also have iCloud turned on.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 28, 2018 09:17PM
I have three time machine drives. One is attached via usb, the second is attached to an airport base station on the other end of the house, the third I keep in my father-in-laws sock drawer and only update every few months. The first protects me against normal data loss, the second against theft assuming the thieves aren’t thorough, and the third protects against fire.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 28, 2018 09:22PM
Carbon Copy Cloner, ChronoSync, Dropbox.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 28, 2018 09:25PM
ka jowct
Carbon Copy Cloner, ChronoSync, Dropbox.

I should add - I used TM to backup my Dropbox, too - just in case someone deletes a shared file!
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 28, 2018 09:55PM
I have been using CrashPlan for years for free, never used their cloud storage, just backed up to and old MacBook that acted as my home server with large external drives attached. I use automatic nightly SuperDuper backups to disk images on that server as my clone recovery for drive failures.

CrashPlan had the advantage that it would backup to my home server even when I was traveling and the SuperDuper backups weren't running. It had the added benefit of multiple version backups to recover from accidental file deletion.

With the free CrashPlan going away along with the feature of internet backups to other computers (no longer available at any price), I started looking at alternatives, and had followed some discussions on Macintouch.

[www.macintouch.com]
[www.macintouch.com]

Last week I started evaluating Arq to see if it could replace my usage of CrashPlan with internet backups to my own "cloud" storage using SFTP, and so far my testing has been successful. Even though the app and computer being backed up needs to be running 10.7 or higher, the computer acting as the SFTP server can still be running 10.6.8, since it's just standard Mac OSX software that needs to be configured to enable SFTP.

[www.arqbackup.com]

I haven't purchased it yet (30 day free trial), or deployed it in a real environment yet, but it's looking promising for my needs. The wide choices of cloud backup services that it supports is nice, and I might consider backing up to Microsoft's OneDrive that's included with the Office365 subscription (1TB per user).

I'm also setting up a second personal cloud storage server at my parents house on the opposite coast for disaster recovery. I already use that house as my offsite storage for clones my home server's backup drive, since I fly there once a month.

Has anyone else here been using Arq? Any opinions or red flags / show stoppers?

The Macintouch discussions also mentioned two other options (one is free) that are similar in functionality to Arq but I haven't tried.

[www.duplicati.com]
[duplicacy.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 28, 2018 10:11PM
time machine and icloud for the iOS devices.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 28, 2018 10:26PM
space-time
RAID.

RAID isn’t a backup. It’s for speed or uptime or some combination of the two. What happens if a file is deleted from your raid?

Posted by: BobC
Date: September 28, 2018 10:28PM
Dropbox for documents & recent photos.
Super Duper for full semi-monthly clones, rotated off-site.
Arq & BackBlaze B2 for selected important folders.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 28, 2018 10:41PM
Speedy
Who needs one, my hard drives have never failed.

Exactly! My fard hives aveh ever fnailed...nefer failed...evner aifled!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: davester
Date: September 28, 2018 11:18PM
I now use Time Machine exclusively. I have a TM hard drive that gets plugged in to each home machine every couple of days. For offsite backup (the most important backup) I have a TM drive that I keep at work and bring home about every 30 days to backup all the home machines to. It only comes out of the car for about an hour during the backup period but then goes straight back to work.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 29, 2018 01:47AM
Time Machine and CCC.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 29, 2018 05:40AM
Two external drives. One I keep at home and other I bring back from work. I do the same from work. I also email myself critical work files that I'm using on either my work or home computers and so use I'm using my free Gmail space.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 29, 2018 06:07AM
CCC for the whole bag
iBackUp for small specifics - no OS
Tresorit for financials
teense SD that I carry with me all the time that is more or less a dupe of iBackUp and Tresorit stuff.
2 ext for media

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Mactel
Date: September 29, 2018 06:32AM
SuperDuper! backup on external drive
Posted by: mstudio
Date: September 29, 2018 08:14AM
davemchine
the third I keep in my father-in-laws sock drawer

and the third protects against fire.

Fireproof socks?

A few Time Machine drives on and off site and Cloud services for me. If I lose everything for some reason, I figure it will be good preparation for the coming Zombie Apocalypse.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: September 29, 2018 08:21AM
Time machine for my startup drive. Mirrored raid for current photo work. As older work fills drives up they are duped and a copy is stored off site.

Athens, OH
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 29, 2018 08:30AM
This reminds me. I haven't done a SuperDuper back up in a while. Will do now.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 29, 2018 08:50AM
mattkime
Backblaze and time machine

agree smiley and it's what I use.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 29, 2018 10:01AM
for laptops -- Hard drive plugged into my airport with TM running, my son has the same setup.
For Media servier I'm using a raid drive (I do not want to have to redo 4TB's of movies)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 29, 2018 10:53AM
External drives and Time Machine
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 29, 2018 04:32PM
Time Machine
Carbon Copy Cloner from time to time
Zools for online backup of data
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 29, 2018 04:47PM
....encourage them......love it when they back that thang up.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020