advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What is the Mac you regret buying?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 02, 2018 10:57AM
When I was in ye olde college days, a photographer I knew had a decision. His folks were willing to shell out $5 for camera gear or a PowerBook. I told him to get camera gear as there was nit a huge push for mobile photoshop at the time (film days). He spent $5k on the PowerBook. 4 months later, the Broze keyboard G3 PowerBooks were introduced for about half the price. His $5k investment was now worth less than the new PB. That $5k would still have been worth a decent amount and be more useful long-term.

I
Any Mac you regret buying?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What is the Mac you regret buying?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 02, 2018 10:58AM
....Mac......Donald's......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 02, 2018 11:01AM
LCIII

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: timg
Date: October 02, 2018 11:09AM
PowerMac 7100/66 - I should have known not to buy 1st gen.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 02, 2018 11:16AM
Not a Mac, but the first big Cinema Display. The company I worked with shelled out the cash for it (times were very, very good); that's when it was introduced at $4,000. About 4 or so months later, the price dropped by half. That left us smarting for a good long while, and I had to miss the next couple of upgrade opportunities, as the company basically punished me for it. grinning smiley

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: billb
Date: October 02, 2018 11:18AM
One of the G4 laptops. I didn't really need it even though I did use it for work but I could have gotten by without it.
More frivolous than regret.
I thought I would use it more and just didn't.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 02, 2018 11:24AM
pRICE,

None of them. Each Mac I've owned over the years has served me well. Some are still in service now, a decade after I bought them.

Robert
Posted by: robfilms
Date: October 02, 2018 11:32AM
Robert M
pRICE,

None of them. Each Mac I've owned over the years has served me well. Some are still in service now, a decade after I bought them.

Robert

agree smiley

thumbs up.

rob
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 02, 2018 11:37AM
Robert M
Robert

Im kinda in this same boat. Ive never really regretted any of them.

Maybe my Centris 610. It was the first mac I bought, before I knew to ask about release dates and such. A few months later the Quadra 610 came out. Ugh. I dont really regret buying it, It worked well for years... but grumbled about the new model coming out so soon.

Im more upset about the ones I let go. Like my Cube. Or G4 MDDs. Or PTP 250. Or 9600/350. But they all had served their purpose...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 02, 2018 11:45AM
8100/80.
I got RSI playing Marathon!
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 02, 2018 11:54AM
MacIntosh TV sleepy smiley
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 02, 2018 11:56AM
I bought my 7600 a couple of months before the 7300 was introduced: Don’t regret it, though. Probably the one that I regret most is my 2011 MacBook Pro. The fecal matter had not yet hit the fan about the now notorious graphics card failures when I bought it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 02, 2018 12:13PM
Yikes
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 02, 2018 12:22PM
Two computers ago I thought, "I don't really need much of a computer" so I bought the lowest iMac available at that time. I was constantly frustrated with how slow it was and the lack of storage. Now I buy as big as I can afford.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 02, 2018 12:35PM
I think I’ve done pretty well. I don’t I’ve owned a Mac for less than three years.

PowerMac 7500 (1996- ish) - saw numerous upgrades including processor
PowerMac G4 Dual Processor (2001)
PowerMac G5 (2005ish)
27" iMac - late 2009 - still have

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 02:11PM by mattkime.
Date: October 02, 2018 12:39PM
....Miss Otis regrets.....she's unable....to lunch....today.......madam.......

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 02, 2018 12:52PM
I have regretted paying the high cost of my Duo 280c when they were introduced. Over 3K for just the 'book, and then big money for the dock (then another HD for the dock), keyboard, and mouse. It was a great deal of cash for me at the time, but the machine was fun and flawless.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: October 02, 2018 12:53PM
.....so not the dynamic....duo.....???

Posted by: sekker
Date: October 02, 2018 12:55PM
PowerMac 190 - deeply underpowered from day 1

Original Intel iMac was a totoal lemon.

My Santa Rosa MBP was pretty high maintenance - but I had to buy at that time so it was my best bet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 12:56PM by sekker.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 02, 2018 12:55PM
space-time
Yikes

I see what you did there.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 02, 2018 01:00PM
If I had bought Apple Stock instead, I'd be retired.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 02, 2018 01:02PM
My first mac, a Quadra 605 - I bought it just as the line was being discontinued and I'm sure I paid way too much, but without the internet, it was hard to know.

But regret a mac purchase? Not really ever... I sometimes wonder why I keep a laptop around. I don't need it, but I like having it. I currently use 4 macs in my daily life (if you include the laptop), but I see ways to incorporate more. Must resist!
Posted by: billb
Date: October 02, 2018 01:06PM
If I didn't sell Apple stock ( just before it tanked, and it did !!! just, not for long ) I'd be very comfortably retired. :-(

I also sold splits. sigh

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 01:08PM by billb.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 02, 2018 01:06PM
My first Mac, a IIci, I regret in a way. It was a great machine for its time, but it was so darn expensive. Any Mac at the time (or any computer for that matter) would have been expensive, but the IIci was top of the line.

Like cbelt3 said, in hindsight if I'd invested in Apple stock instead then I probably would have been better off. On the other hand, I wouldn't have had my own awesome Mac.

Posted by: Microman
Date: October 02, 2018 01:14PM
Helped? a teacher friend choose the IIVX. How long was that out , about 3 months?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 02, 2018 01:17PM
Microman
Helped? a teacher friend choose the IIVX. How long was that out , about 3 months?

My Mom had a IIVX at her government job. I guess that tells you something.
Date: October 02, 2018 01:24PM
rjmacs
space-time
Yikes

I see what you did there.

Yup.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 02, 2018 01:29PM
None that I've truly regretted. Had a used iMac briefly after selling my G5 tower. Just didn't care for it. About a month later, saw a listing for a Mac Pro on Craigslist, and sold the iMac for exactly what I had paid for it.

Several years before that, I got a desktop... I want to say a 6200. Wasn't a great machine, but I got it really cheap. Slow and underpowered. Sold it a few months later.

Also had an 8500 for a while. I used to have a side business where I bought computers at auctions and resold them for profit. Was able to upgrade my Macs every few months that way. The 8500 was great for what it was, but it was a major pain to get inside it to upgrade.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 02, 2018 02:21PM
For the most part I have used every mac very well, either to do work or to learn how to do work (professional development if you will). Only regret a few frivolous upgrades that could have been more wisely invested, but even those all contributed a part to my overall mac experience and computing knowledge that I would not have gained elsewhere.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: October 02, 2018 02:26PM
None of the above

# me too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 02:26PM by vicrock.
Posted by: Z
Date: October 02, 2018 02:29PM
The 1996/7 era 6500/225 I had at university? That thing was prime Apple malaise era hardware.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 02, 2018 02:39PM
8100 - didn't get enough use to justify its purchase
a couple of smurfs had too many issues
a few jelly bean iMacs had issues
a PB1400 coulda been better (other PB1400 w/ upgrades was OK)
a few earlier laptops that I'm not gonna strain my brain to remember the model numbers
one of the G4 iMacs had issues
G5 iMac was a dud
QS G4 800DP took forever to get AppleCare to get it fixed/rebuilt properly
infamous CUSA MDD G4 was a friggin' nightnare
all G5 cheesegraters died early, even the ones I liked

I'm sure there are other regrets, but I already regret thinking about the subject.
==
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 02, 2018 02:54PM
Microman

One year: October 1992 - October 1993. Initial price $2,950

"The IIvx was aimed directly at the mid-range market. It introduced a new case design (the first case built with an internal CD-ROM in mind), and ran on a 32 MHz 68030 processor with a 68882 FPU. However, the 16 MHz bus made it roughly equivalent to a 25 MHz IIci."
Posted by: Cary
Date: October 02, 2018 03:09PM
I bought a Performa 635? 6300? 6330? at the Price Club.

What a piece of crap... Nothing but problems from day 1.
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: October 02, 2018 03:09PM
billb
One of the G4 laptops. I didn't really need it even though I did use it for work but I could have gotten by without it.
More frivolous than regret.
I thought I would use it more and just didn't.

Similarly, I upgraded from a PowerBook 5300 to a PowerBook 1400cs (color! internal CD-ROM!) soon after I graduated college...and promptly discovered that I no longer had a need for a portable computer. Fortunately, I didn't take too much of a hit since I sold it within a couple of months, and replaced it with a Performa 6400 that served me well for years.
Date: October 02, 2018 03:11PM
On the other hand, my best Apple product bang for buckwise?? Apple ][+!
Posted by: Winston
Date: October 02, 2018 06:32PM
Rick-o
I have regretted paying the high cost of my Duo 280c when they were introduced. Over 3K for just the 'book, and then big money for the dock (then another HD for the dock), keyboard, and mouse. It was a great deal of cash for me at the time, but the machine was fun and flawless.

I got one of these setups used. The concept was amazing, but the Duo itself was slow. I had been using a PowerBook 180, and didn't find the Duo 280C to be an upgrade (other than the nice color screen).

hal
My first mac, a Quadra 605 - I bought it just as the line was being discontinued and I'm sure I paid way too much, but without the internet, it was hard to know.

Got two Quadra 605 Macs in 1993 - represented my return to Macs after an IBM PC AT (but was still using my 512K original Mac). The package was pretty nice - CPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and I think a Global Village modem, or maybe I added that. Also came with a bunch of software. Did a lot of work on those Macs.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 02, 2018 06:45PM
I bought a blue and white G3. What a piece or cr@p that was.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 02, 2018 07:11PM
Mike Johnson

Second that emotion - the Smurf was just that…
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: October 02, 2018 07:15PM
7200/90...pretty weak.
Wish I could have kept my SE/30, loved that little beast.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 02, 2018 07:56PM
PowerBook 5300ce. At least I got it used for ~$2200, not the $6500 original price. And I sold my PB5300cs for $700 to help pay, so not too horrible overall.

Years later I put a 10GB drive in it for use as a mobile digipic preview and download station when memory cards were freakin' expensive. And the damn thing still works, fired it up earlier this year as I needed it's power supply to recover data from a dead PB190.

But I should have gotten a PMac 7600 or used 7500 with the same $, which I did a year later.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 02, 2018 08:25PM
Wallstreet G3. Excellent Fast, wonderful.

A month later the TAM was reduced to the same price, <$2000.

The Wallstreet was a great computer, the TAM is a work of art.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 02, 2018 10:17PM
Mike Johnson

I still have mine. Great computer.

On the other hand. . .

I bought my son a Performa 5215 (?) all-in-one. Later known as a Road Apple, it was nothing but trouble. Once it even caught fire!

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 02, 2018 10:28PM
timg
PowerMac 7100/66 - I should have known not to buy 1st gen.

Yep. I bought the "PC" version with the 386 daughtercard. The whole box was such a piece of crap I resold it within a month.
Posted by: blooz
Date: October 02, 2018 10:44PM
No regrets. I still have my first mac, a smurf, and I still play Marathon on it once in a while. My 2005 mac mini is still in use as mostly a storage machine, my 2010 mini is my main squeeze, and I have a macpro I bought last year from the refurb store which gets little use lately but I see a bigger future for it. I also got one of those white macbooks around 2006, one of that bunch with the iffy logic board. I only used it sporadically for several years because I had the minis, but it finally gave out last year. No more Snood for me.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 02, 2018 11:18PM
I don't regret any of them. I do regret what I paid for RAM for the 6100, considering it didn't really make much difference.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 03, 2018 07:16AM
A road apple Performa 6200CD.

Grateful11
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 03, 2018 09:15AM
MBP 2017, due to keyboard issue and the fact that 1 year later they went on sale for $1800 less, and the MBP 2018 is said to be substantially faster.

Used PM8100, because I got tired of hearing the car crash sound every third time I booted up.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: October 03, 2018 10:28AM
PowerMac 6500, total piece of garbage. It was my first computer and despite that I'm still a Mac user.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020