Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
All-electric Porsche Taycan will cost less than Tesla Model S
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 18, 2018 03:41PM
[jalopnik.com]

The upcoming all-electric Porsche Taycan is clearly meant to be a challenger to the Tesla Model S, but any assumptions that it would sit as a flagship model over the entire Porsche range are wrong. Porsche wants to price it below the Panamera, where it can better give Tesla a real run for its money.

Robert Meier, one of the bosses over seeing the Taycan, told Automotive News that Porsche will price the new EV between the Cayenne and Panamera in the European market. That means it’d start out between 74,800 euros and 90,600 euros including taxes, or roughly between $86,000 to $104,000.

According to Tesla’s German web configurator, the Model S 75D starts at 69,019 euros, or roughly $79,350, but that’s before taxes.

The Taycan will be one of the first electric cars on the market with an 800-volt battery, meaning more power and quicker charge times. Porsche claims the Taycan will have over 600 horsepower, 310 miles of range and be able to charge up to 250 miles of range in around 20 minutes using a 350 kW charger.

Compare that to the Tesla Model S 75D’s 518 hp, 260 miles of range and a 30 minute charge time for 170 miles of range using a Tesla Supercharger. On that last note, Telsa has a fairly broad and continuously expanding Supercharger network already set up, so Porsche will have a lot of catching up to do.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: All-electric Porsche Taycan will cost less than Tesla Model S
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 18, 2018 03:42PM
......and it won't smoke pot on a podcast or talk back to the SEC when it is fined......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 18, 2018 03:56PM
NewtonMP2100
......and it won't smoke pot on a podcast or talk back to the SEC when it is fined......

No, it'll have its own 'special emissions' that are blocked when tested...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 18, 2018 04:29PM
Bring it... Competition is good.

I'll believe it when I see the first ones delivered, though... just like I did with Tesla.

Talk is cheap - when the rubber meets the road, we'll see.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 18, 2018 04:58PM
Everyone is freaking out about Musk smoking pot, but no one said anything about him drinking scotch. They're both legal activies in CA and he said he didn't like the blunt. Honestly, the Scotch is doing far more damage to his body than 2 puffs off the blunt.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: davester
Date: October 18, 2018 05:02PM
pRICE cUBE
Compare that to the Tesla Model S 75D’s 518 hp, 260 miles of range and a 30 minute charge time for 170 miles of range using a Tesla Supercharger. On that last note, Telsa has a fairly broad and continuously expanding Supercharger network already set up, so Porsche will have a lot of catching up to do.[/i]

This is the massive advantage that Tesla has over Porsche. All the high end specs in the world for the car itself don't matter if you're sitting in the middle of the highway with no high-powered charger within 500 miles. Tesla has put their money into a network of fast-chargers that can let you travel throughout the US with ease (free charging for Model S owners too). Porsche has nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I love it that there's going to be competition, but the supercharger network is Tesla's ace in the hole that will take years for the other makers to catch up to. As usual, the auto magazines are focusing on the wrong specs.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 05:20PM by davester.
Posted by: blooz
Date: October 18, 2018 05:05PM
Taycan? Panamera? Don't get me started on Yaris!
Do all auto makers these days get their model names by having a bunch of chimpanzees randomly throw Scrabble tiles into a row of coffee cans?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: October 18, 2018 05:10PM
It's been, what, 10 years since Davester and I agreed on something?
Tesla's SECOND ace in the hole, as yet under-developed, is one mostly complete, and two under construction massive battery factories. Right now, a lot of their production is under license from Samsung... but that deal isn't forever, and by the time "Gigafactory 1" is complete, it will be turning out a substantial fraction of all the batteries on earth. OK, that may be a little exaggeration.
That'll be when Gigafactory 2 and 3 are complete. Say, 2020-21.
Other EV makers will deal with Samsung not having the capacity to produce, OR, they'll be buying batteries from Tesla.

davester
pRICE cUBE
Compare that to the Tesla Model S 75D’s 518 hp, 260 miles of range and a 30 minute charge time for 170 miles of range using a Tesla Supercharger. On that last note, Telsa has a fairly broad and continuously expanding Supercharger network already set up, so Porsche will have a lot of catching up to do.[/i]

This is the massive advantage that Tesla has over Porsche. All the high end specs in the world for the car itself don't matter if you're sitting in the middle of the highway with no high-powered charger with 500 miles. Tesla has put their money into a network of fast-chargers that can let you travel throughout the US with ease (free charging for Model S owners too). Porsche has nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I love it that there's going to be competition, but the supercharger network is Tesla's ace in the hole that will take years for the other makers to catch up to. As usual, the auto magazines are focusing on the wrong specs.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: max
Date: October 18, 2018 05:25PM
Every Porshe dealer will be a charging station....
Date: October 18, 2018 05:55PM
max
Every Porshe dealer will be a charging station....

That will give Porsche about 200 charging stations. They're gonna have to do better than that. As of August 2018, the electric vehicle network (Tesla's) consisted of over 10,000 individual Supercharger stalls at 1,300 locations worldwide. (from wikipedia) All of the other auto companies have effectively rolled over and given up while Tesla is about to steal their lunch and dinner. Tesla has some big bills that are about to come due, but if they can navigate that minefield they'll be printing money faster than the US Mint.

Date: October 18, 2018 06:30PM
Paul F.
...Right now, a lot of their production is under license from Samsung...

I believe that it's Panasonic, but the point remains the same. Soon Tesla will have more battery production capacity than the rest of the world combined.

Posted by: Z
Date: October 18, 2018 06:34PM
Taycan?

Taycan?

So many other combinations of letters in the alphabet and they came up with Taycan.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: October 18, 2018 06:36PM

This Chrysler Pacifica is more my speed and budget.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: October 18, 2018 06:47PM
Bernie

It does not get very good reviews...adds a lot of cost and complexity for gas mileage barely better than the nonhybrid version. This doesn't remotely compete with an EV.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: October 18, 2018 06:58PM
ztirffritz
Paul F.
...Right now, a lot of their production is under license from Samsung...

I believe that it's Panasonic, but the point remains the same. Soon Tesla will have more battery production capacity than the rest of the world combined.

I believe you’re correct. People don’t “get” that vehicles are NOT Tesla’s long term business.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Z
Date: October 18, 2018 07:03PM
Bernie

Gotta do it - [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 18, 2018 07:10PM
Keep in mind that Tesla is shooting for 1 million mile drive trains.

Those will enable self-driving cars to be in constant use, reducing cost if you are willing to let your car work for you while you go to the office...
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 18, 2018 07:26PM
ztirffritz
Honestly, the Scotch is doing far more damage to his body than 2 puffs off the blunt.

Hm…that explains my problem then.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 18, 2018 07:34PM
Z
Bernie

Gotta do it - [www.youtube.com]

smiley-laughing001 smiley-score010

Actually, the PHEV version is cheaper than the gas-only version after the $7500 tax credit. I'd buy one if I needed an Emasculator.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 18, 2018 08:05PM
davester
Bernie

It does not get very good reviews...adds a lot of cost and complexity for gas mileage barely better than the nonhybrid version. This doesn't remotely compete with an EV.

I have been waiting for an Odyssey hybrid for five years. The Pacifica was the first hybrid minivan on the market, let alone PHEV. The city mileage is 30% better than the gas version for short trips but the extra 600 lbs does keep the highway mileage from being better.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 18, 2018 09:08PM
Z
Taycan?

Taycan?

So many other combinations of letters in the alphabet and they came up with Taycan.

Taycan, roughly translated from Turkish as "lively young horse" in reference to the steed of the Stuttgart coat of arms on the Porsche crest.”

“The Panamera's name is derived, like the Porsche Carrera lineage, from the Carrera Panamericana race. ”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 09:11PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 18, 2018 11:21PM
Speedy
Actually, the PHEV version is cheaper than the gas-only version after the $7500 tax credit. I'd buy one if I needed an Emasculator.

I loved driving my Minivan (Mazda MPV). Handled better than a compact SUV, held more than a 3 row SUV with better mileage.

More accurate to call them Man-Vans. And SUVs? Soccer and Shopping Vehicles.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 19, 2018 10:27AM
z has it. Full EV requires infrastructure. Tesla figured that out early on. Without infrastructure to delivery energy to an EV quickly and efficiently, you've just got a city commuter.
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: October 19, 2018 02:32PM
To be fair, as part of the diesel-gate settlement, VW (parent of Porsche) is building out their Electrify America network:

[www.electrifyamerica.com]
[www.electrifyamerica.com]

Remains to be seen if all of these locations will "supercharge" the Taycan.
Date: October 19, 2018 08:49PM
Paul F.
It's been, what, 10 years since Davester and I agreed on something?

Hey Paul, I think we see eye-to-eye more often than that. I'm sure that if you came down to ultra-liberal Berkeley we could have a beer together and see eye-to-eye on many other things (and we have good beer places here too!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020