advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So how do we get High Sierra now?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 19, 2018 05:53PM
I've put it on a few machines with my apple account. But now I see those "purchases" are no longer tied to my account. I just had a graphics app tell me I can't open a file because I need a new version of the app. But the point release doesn't work on Sierra, and I'm not quite ready for Mojave yet.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So how do we get High Sierra now?
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: October 19, 2018 06:04PM
Mojave - Download Older Versions

According to the above it is not possible. Time to find a machine that has not been updated and see if you can get it that way.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 19, 2018 06:10PM
Thanks. That link isn't exactly my issue - I'm not on Mojave yet - just Sierra. But that link mentioned direct downloads of HS and S. So I tracked one down. While this doesn't show up when searching the App Store, this link will take you directly to the macOS High Sierra download [itunes.apple.com]

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 19, 2018 06:31PM
Reminder - it's often worthwhile to save the MacOS installer just in case.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 19, 2018 09:04PM
I have bootable versions of Yosemite and Sierra on flashdrives. It paid off the other night.

Grateful11
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 20, 2018 12:45AM
This patcher app to allow High Sierra on unsupported hardware has a download feature for the full installer from Apple's servers, it's worth a try. I think it's from the servers that are used for the "internet install" to restore Macs to the OS they shipped with, so it seems likely that Apple still has the files online.

[dosdude1.com]

He has similar patchers for Sierra and Mojave.

If you have a Mac that doesn't support Mojave, you can probably download High Sierra from the app store using this link.

[itunes.apple.com]

It's listed on this support page

[support.apple.com]

If you still need macOS High Sierra, use this App Store link: Get macOS High Sierra.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 20, 2018 09:06AM
thanks for the link. Although I plan to stay with Sierra for the time being, it's good to have HS, JIC I think I want a bridge to Mojave.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 20, 2018 09:43AM
Right now Sierra is the highest I will go. I would probably at least test Mojave on a spare drive were it not for the APFS conversion. Given the importance of the file system to EVERYTHING on a computer, I will not convert my Macs to a new one that is not adequately documented and in its infancy. I don’t completely trust that Apple has gotten this right.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 20, 2018 10:15AM
ka jowct
Right now Sierra is the highest I will go. I would probably at least test Mojave on a spare drive were it not for the APFS conversion. Given the importance of the file system to EVERYTHING on a computer, I will not convert my Macs to a new one that is not adequately documented and in its infancy. I don’t completely trust that Apple has gotten this right.

I agree, Alsoft claims to be working on a version of Diskwarrior that can rebuild APFS disks, but hasn't released anything.

That will be a good milestone showing that documentation is good enough for a 3rd party to rebuild a disk.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: October 20, 2018 10:39AM
Mojave is in a much better place than High Sierra. I stayed on Sierra until Mojave was about 2-3 weeks old with mostly glowing reviews. I tried it out on a spare hard drive and after 2 weeks, made the move.

I have no problems with it.

iMac late 2015 27" 32 GB RAM and a 2 TB Fusion drive. The only thing I don't like is the Fusion Drive is now formatted in APFS. Still, it is working fine.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 20, 2018 11:20AM
WHiiP
Mojave is in a much better place than High Sierra. I stayed on Sierra until Mojave was about 2-3 weeks old with mostly glowing reviews. I tried it out on a spare hard drive and after 2 weeks, made the move.

I have no problems with it.

iMac late 2015 27" 32 GB RAM and a 2 TB Fusion drive. The only thing I don't like is the Fusion Drive is now formatted in APFS. Still, it is working fine.

Good to know. HS has been mostly stable, but less than Sierra so I've been cautious moving to Mojave.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020