advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Monday's Flashback: Nosy ?'s for You Canon SX50 Buyers
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 29, 2018 05:53PM
3+ years ago, the refurb Canon SX50HS was a hot topic here. Seems a lot of forumites jumped in and bought it.

So who's still using it, who sold theirs, & what replaced it?
Anyone abandon the camera for the one on your phone?

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Monday's Flashback: Nosy ?'s for You Canon SX50 Buyers
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 29, 2018 06:15PM
I have one (refurb) in a box, never opened. If anyone is interested, speak up. make a reasonable offer.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 29, 2018 06:27PM
Still using the SX40 and lovin' it, no need to move to the SX50, or 60, will see about the 70 or 80...
eventually.
==
Posted by: hal
Date: October 29, 2018 06:46PM
Still using mine all the time.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 29, 2018 07:21PM
SX70 released a month ago. 1365mm equivalent zoom, 20 mp-although that doesn't mean a whole lot. RAW is the new CR3 format. I still use my 50 a lot but I am waiting for the 60 to drop in price now.

The 50 is still a very enjoyable camera. Make space-time an offer!

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: October 29, 2018 07:23PM
i had one.

an okay travel camera.

workable for daytime, not so good in low light or evening.

small chip.

and i don't believe any stabilization.

for a small travel kit, i went with panasonic's m43 system.

even with m43, the chip is MUCH bigger, useable in low light and many bodies have 5 axis stabilization.

i am very pleased with the image quality.

and the size works for me.

ymmv

rob
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 29, 2018 07:40PM
Still have mine, only camera I use (though I seldom shoot anymore.. it just became to frustrating as my eyesight degraded)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 29, 2018 07:56PM
for a small travel kit, i went with panasonic's m43 system.

SX50 isn't the same camera class, tho, and cheaper, and does have image stabilization. I also like that it has RAW too.

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 29, 2018 10:37PM
Have mine, used it for the first year. Then found my iPhone 6 and 6S cameras did a lot for me, and have often forgotten about the SX50.

My wife travels with me more often now and brings her Rebel. Why carry two cameras?

Still a great product.
Posted by: Frank
Date: October 30, 2018 12:06AM
I love my SX-50. My wife and I have traveled a lot in recent years. I can get quick grab shots, even when in a moving vehicle or ship, at full zoom. The image stabilization is very good. My wife carries a Lumix DMC-ZS25 which fits in a pocket. The Canon is a far better camera imo and will still fit in a jacket pocket (barely).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 12:06AM by Frank.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 30, 2018 04:40AM
Still have mine, like space-time, in the (refurb) box, unopened. I've used the SX-40, however not quite that often anymore, as I got a Sony Rx-10 who's larger sensor gives better low-light results. I'm debating whether to sell the SX-40 and open and try the SX-50, or just sell both.

The SX-40/SX-50 big advantage is it's size and ability to be allowed into concert venues, I used it at a Jimmy Buffet concert from the lawn seats and got some nice pictures.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 30, 2018 08:22AM
I had one, tried it out a few times, and got frustrated with it very quickly. It was different enough from what I’m used to that I would have needed to put in more time than I wanted to get comfortable with it. The SX50 is smaller and lighter than my other cameras, but still not a camera that I would carry around with me daily, which was what I had in mind when I got it.

I have my Pentax cameras set up for simplicity, because the light in the kind of scenes that I generally shoot frequently changes from one second to the next. So fiddling with settings is not desirable.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 30, 2018 11:37AM
I still have my SX40 and unless there's a nice moon shot or I'm on a roadtrip it pretty much sits by the computer.

Grateful11
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 30, 2018 02:02PM
I still have my SX50 refurb and use it mostly on vacation along with my Sony A6000. I took it to Spain last year and carried both cameras when visiting the Sagarada. I got photos with the SX50 that wouldn't have been possible with the lenses I have for the A6000:

I still have my SX40 but don't use it anymore since I prefer to shoot RAW with the SX50. Maybe time to sell it.

JoeM
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 30, 2018 04:54PM
No love for the Nikon Coolpix P1000?
Posted by: Winston
Date: October 31, 2018 12:13AM
I use our SX40 a lot, but was disappointed a couple of years ago when I found that video recording gets a garbled scratch sound. I've assumed it would not be cost-effective to fix.

My other gripes are that it focuses slowly, does a lousy job of taking shots out of a tour bus window (i.e. out the side window when moving in a vehicle), and recovers slowly after taking a shot. Manual focus is just about impossible to use. I also have trouble telling if something is in focus using the viewfinder.

But I love the size, weight, wide angle to high zoom, macro, image stabilization, battery life and VIEWFINDER. As with JoeM, I've gotten photos I wouldn't with my "big" Canon. I've carried the SX40 a lot more often because it's so portable. And by using the viewfinder instead of the LCD the battery goes on forever.

This is interesting:

Aperture Range:
PowerShot SX40 HS - f/2.7 - f/5.8
PowerShot SX50 HS - f/3.4 - f/6.5
PowerShot SX60 HS - f/3.4 - f/6.5
PowerShot SX70 HS - f/3.4 - f/6.5
So the SX40 has a slightly faster lens than the others, by about an f-stop.

Weight:
The SX40, SX 50 and SX 70 all weigh about 1 lb 5 oz with battery and memory card. The SX 60 is a couple of ounces heavier.

WiFi and Bluetooth:
Only the SX70. Can set up automatic downloads from the camera via WiFi. Bluetooth can get location data from your phone - nice! The wireless connectivity might be a reason to upgrade, but I wonder what it does to battery life.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020