advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
dropped powerbook
Posted by: bruceko
Date: January 17, 2006 08:47PM
My 17" Powerbook got dropped on its corner. It smashed the corner in about 1/4". It continued to run after being dropped but after restarting it just sit in the blue screen after the Apple logo.
Tried reinstall the os no go. Apple says it is a tier 3 repair $1000+
Should I get it repaired or just buy a $1700 refurb and try to sell the old one ith the bad hard drive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2006 09:17PM by bruceko.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: dropped powerbook
Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 17, 2006 09:13PM
Refurb. Sorry for your loss, that is a great machine. $1999 for the Mac Pro 15".
Posted by: Tofer
Date: January 17, 2006 09:40PM
I agree. Sorry about the accident. This is why I have an accident rider on my renter's insurance just in case. My insurance company is pretty good about not raising rates (I've had one theft claim -- ibook -- before), but it just makes me rest a little easier knowing that I tote around a +$1000 piece of hardware every day and if I do drop it (or it gets stolen), I'm only out $100 for the deductible. I think the rider is $30/year or something like that. Not much.

-Tofer
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 17, 2006 09:53PM
Try booting from an external drive--or using Target disk mode on another machine---if it boots it is just the Hard drive--if not something else may have gotten jarred loose.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 17, 2006 10:26PM
Are there any third party Mac repair outfits in the nighborhood? In the Silicon Valley we have several that claim to be cheaper than Mac. Allmac is one that advertises "We Fix Macs."
Posted by: bruceko
Date: January 18, 2006 10:43AM
Thanks for your answers.
I took to a local independant mac shop. They said the reason they cannot repair it is that it will viod the warranty if they repair it. It is is only 6 months old and has Apple care.
It twill boot from the DVD and booys in target mode but the hd doesn't show up on the other computer.
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: January 18, 2006 03:21PM
I didn't think powerbook hard drives were that hard to replace? Simply upgrading the hard drive doesn't void your warranty, but you'll have a hard time getting Apple to fix anything else that goes wrong with that dent is going to be tough anyway. Perhaps if you get it running again get an Apple Genius to sign a notarized statement that all else is functioning normally?

Bummer. Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020