advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ring2 Video Doorbell.. Like it ? Hate it ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 26, 2018 01:37PM
AMZ has a deal with a Ring2 and Alexa Dot for $139. I was thinking about a video doorbell to replace our good 'ol ding dong ditch button...

[www.amazon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ring2 Video Doorbell.. Like it ? Hate it ?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 26, 2018 02:03PM
I love their commercials.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 26, 2018 02:05PM
Cbelt,

Both my older brother and I have a Video Doorbell 2 - the model that works hardwired or battery operated. Love it!

My only issue with the Ring hardware is the wifi built into the doorbells suck. You really need to have a _very_ strong wifi connection and/or use a booster of some kind otherwise you may face connectivity issues.

I have my ring outside the entrance door of my apartment, attached to the cinderblock. The onyl way to get even decent reception was to place an Airport Extreme on the inside wall, directly opposite the location of the ring. Same goes for my older brother and my parents. All needed to place a booster of some kind inside the house, directly opposite the location of the Ring.

Robert
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 26, 2018 02:29PM
We have two. One at the back door and one at the front door. Like Robert said, their wifi seriously sucks ass. We bought two Ring Chimes to "extend" the connection to better service the doorbells. Plus we wanted them for actual chimes so it wasn't all a waste of money. The other thing to check is your transformer. Mine worked for one doorbell but not two. But if you use the battery ones, it doesn't matter. I just didn't want the battery kind. I also noticed I got nightvision after I swapped out my transformer. I never had it before with my old transformer, even though at the time, I only had the one doorbell.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 26, 2018 04:00PM
I have the Ring Doorbell and it has been great for me. I can be working in the backyard or even be away from home and know someone is at my door. Earlier in the year I was able to use footage from the doorbell in court to prove my case. Since then I have been a big advocate and have installed their floodlights around the entire perimeter of the house. They have a maximum charge of $100/yr to keep all the video in the cloud which I think is a bargain. I highly recommend Ring.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: November 26, 2018 09:27PM
Love it, I'll echo what everyone else said, WiFi sucks. My router is around 10' away. I bought one of these which helps:
[www.amazon.com]
It was around $12 after coupon and Amex deal.
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 27, 2018 02:38AM
We have two of them and hooked up my in-laws with two also. Ring Pro and Spotlight Cam wired.
We love them. Didn’t realize how much foot traffic we had until we got the one above the garage installed. Same for visitors to our front door. The “no soliciting” sign works great.
Bought a Linksys Wi-Fi extender for the one over my garage, had an ASUS extender that crapped out after six months. As stated by others, the Wi-Fi on the units could be better, you almost NEED a Wi-Fi extender. I like the new update in the app, it has a preview on the screen option before watching the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 02:42AM by Carm.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 27, 2018 08:23AM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020